MAC Predictions - 2014

johnnyzip84

I think at Akron, the potential to be successful is just as good (as the other stops). It was one of those four or five schools that I really thought, when I decided to get back into coaching, that there were about four or five Division I-A schools that someone would have a chance to go into and turn around. I thought San Diego State was one, I thought UNLV was one, Florida Atlantic was one, Akron was one. There were four or five I studied as a broadcaster that if the right guy steps into one of those places he's going to win because of the population or the right program. I felt Akron was one of those places and I haven't changed (my mind). Whether we win eight or nine this year, or if we win five or six, I don't know where we'll be or how much farther we'll go this year, but we are on a trend that won't change. I think just like with Salem and Samford and Auburn, we're going to play for conference championships and we'll have the chance to be the best team in the conference. ... I think Akron, we'll just keep on building.

Awesome quote. GP1 might want to cover his eyes as he gets to the last sentence.

IMO there is a very disturbing fact that often gets overlooked:

it would need to sell...roughly just 3,900 student ticket packages which run $218 for a season.

It's criminal for students to be paying that much for season tickets to THEIR OWN TEAM'S games. Ridiculous. I'm so glad it's much easier to be an Alumni of a smaller D-1 school. Wake up people, you're being hosed.

From what I've read on this forum, the students at UA don't think that getting into sports games free is a benefit. They want free pizza, and doughnuts, and shirts, and everything else to go with their tickets. And to sit at the 50-yard line. The fact that students at other universities have to pay for their tickets is likely invisible to them.

Thanks for the read. The picture was from the Michigan game I believe as Terry is caught mid stroke in a signal that he must have got from the Master Bait and tackle shop in Bonita Springs, Florida. I was watching him call in the play on TV last Fall and couldn't believe what I saw. The announcers picked up on it but just laughed. Michigan, however, wasn't laughing much in this one in the 4th quarter. Love the good press on the Zips and after seeing that tool from Penn State in Zach's post, I'm really looking forward to that contest. Go get-em Terry and the mighty Zips!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new rags are out.

Lindy's and USA Today have us finishing second in the East behind BGSU.

Athlon has us third behind BGSU and Ohio.

Lindys and Athlon has us winning 6, USA Today says we win 7.

I think we win 6 based on an easier schdule, the rest is up to the players improving. Could be 7, could be 8.