Ohio State game

Ok I'm not "soccer guy" but was that really bad work by both goaltenders? Had no faith in either making a saving throughout. Is this the end for Embrick? If not please explain why.

Thanks soccer guys

This team had 17 Freshmen compared to 11 SOs, JRs, and SRs combined. This is not the time to throw him under the bus.

Um, well, because he has 12 freshmen on his squad, and they still won 12 games and made the NCAA tournament (only losing on an insulting road pairing in PKs)... This was about as good a result as anyone could have hoped for, in our first real rebuilding year since the Lolla era. Next year will be better, with much higher ceiling.

edit -- thanks for the clarification Zach. 17 freshmen! Sheesh.

Um, well, because he has 12 freshmen on his squad, and they still won 12 games and made the NCAA tournament (only losing on an insulting road pairing in PKs)... This was about as good a result as anyone could have hoped for, in our first real rebuilding year since the Lolla era. Next year will be better, with much higher ceiling.

Thanks guys. Just used to seeing freshmen come in and dominate and now my standards are probably too high. Now how about answering my PK question?

Thanks again

13 true freshmen, 4 redshirt freshmen.

And get this: Only two seniors! Abdul-Salaam and Caso.

Ok I'm not "soccer guy" but was that really bad work by both goaltenders? Had no faith in either making a saving throughout. Is this the end for Embrick? If not please explain why.

Thanks soccer guys

For the goaltenders, it's a guessing game...they can't react quickly enough to a well struck PK. So you could say they both did a bad job of mind-reading. And very coincidental to have 2 saves in the same round after all the consecutive makes.

• Like 1

I feel like there's a lot of white washing here...losing to State Ohio University is absolutely unacceptable. Losing to State Ohio University in the first round of the NCAA tournament, is absolutely unacceptable. What's more insulting, is that the game was played at State Ohio University, when the game clearly should have been played at home. NCAA is such BS.

• Like 1

For the goaltenders, it's a guessing game...they can't react quickly enough to a well struck PK. So you could say they both did a bad job of mind-reading. And very coincidental to have 2 saves in the same round after all the consecutive makes.

There are actually tells where a good keeper can out 'guess' the pack. Degree of body tilt, quick opening of hips into the ball, inside out movement of striking foot, height of weak side arm elbow, etc, Have to read and process it really quickly too! In this area Jake was probably better.

During play Ivanov was better imo, but in early PKs he looked lost, kind of just fell over to his left 3-4 times. After about round 7-8 and his players coming to him to be the damn man and fully commit he was better (we can only assume they were trying to get him on track, make it happen). I do not remember Zips going up to stoke Jake after they shot even once. Overall communication has been raised many times on this forum, and in critical times like this it can matter.

Then even if you do make the right call on which side and height to commit to there is the matter of stopping balls that hit your hands and arms. Here Ivanov was better as Jake got to a few more but they got thru. Ivanov stopped the ones he got to, even if fewer. You could look at it like errors in baseball but with keepers it is physics, usually the 6-2 190 (looks more like 200) prototype beats the 6-0 160 player. Not always, but usually. Going in I felt shooting advantage naturally Akron, keeper probably OSU.

For Embick he did allot with a mostly very young team. With Souto playing in early games and tonight maybe it would have been different and that was not in Embick's control. At the same time there was no getting over the hump even with the trio in the MF in key away games WF, MSU, PSU. One goal in the 3 combined showed where this team was, very good at times but not great. Better as the year progressed overall and lots to look forward too. Rip off NCAA away tonight for sure. Probably won't change so you just have to get over it and be that much better and take it to people even more.

Embick deserves year 3.

• Like 1

Jared has a 3-year contract. I don't see winning the MACx2 and getting to the NCAA Tournament without Seremba, without Victor for the first 3 games and with all the freshmen on this team, and not returning. Thinking otherwise is expectations too high.

With that said, the coaching staff not only needs to recruit, but to look at the deficiencies of this team's play. The Zips don't widen the field like they should. They don't have a good crossing game into the box. They seem to be afraid to shoot at times unless they're two feet or less from the goal. Numerous times, including tonight, we've been 1-on-1 with the GK but can't get the ball up over him. And the one that drives me insane is that they cause a lot of their own problems in front of their own goal. They go back to Jake at times when they shouldn't putting pressure on him and then he makes a bad kick upfield, sends it right to an opposing player, or sends it out of bounds. You would think after seeing that enough times on film and going through it that it would not happen so often late in the season.

The Zips also could use some speed. Please, someone take a recruiting trip to Jamaica and find us another Darren Mattocks.

Ohio State 2014

Home Attendance

1. 622

2. 410

3. 748

4. 1381 (vs Akron)

5. 462

6. 587

7. 478

8. 604

9. 701

10. 626 (B1G Tourney vs UM)

tOSU only drew 1,000+ when they hosted the Zips in the regular season

Akron 2014

Home Attendance

1. 2785

2. 1574

3. 2078

4. 1658

5. 2240

6. 2517

7. 1768

8. 1777

9. 1505

10. 943 (MAC Semi)

11. 984 (MAC Final)

• Like 1

I wonder if 984 people at the MAC Championship is taken into consideration when they make decisions on where to play games?

I don't think so. i think most of it is backroom deals by those on the committee. I think the B1G and other power conferences trade for positions. Also, I think BGSU may have had the MAC rep on the Soccer committee. If that was the case, I'm not sure how helpful that person would have been for the Zips.