UAB Likely Scuttling Football Program

UAZipster0305

The MAC makes most sense with our geographic location. Natural rival Cant and all the other Ohio MAC schools makes more sense to me. I don't see Conference USA an upgrade. A lot more travel. Let's try to have a few winning seasons in the MAC and be able to play in a few bowl games,

I can't justify the move, but of you have to, do it this way:

CUSA-Football only

Independent-Soccer

A-10-Everything Else

C-USA offers inroads to much better recruiting. Ohio has good football and basketball talent, but the problem is that we don't get to play much in other big recruiting states because half our conference opponents are in Ohio, and the rest are in worse states for high school talent, especially in football. C-USA gets us regular games in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and North Carolina, all of which are better recruiting states than Ohio.

North Carolina is not a better state for recruiting than Ohio. You have florida, Texas, California, Georgia, Louisiana and Ohio as the top 5 or 6 states for talent.

That was simply looking at 4 and 5 star players. This article gives you a little better idea where college players come from. Ohio has 3 fold the recruits of North Carolina.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida

Conference USA soccer is very good. Several steps above the MAC.

Hear me out.

Akron Futbol is one of a few schools(UC Santa Barbara and Notre Dame being the others) can play the complete National schedule. No questioning that C-USA is steps above the Mac, but if you are going to do it. Go all the way.

Where ever did you get the idea that the MAC is respected? Some area outside the MAC's footprint, I would guess. There's probably more respect for the MAC in California than there is in Ohio.

Also, we can beat BCS programs while playing for a different conference, too, you know.

And as for the MAC being long-established, that's a nice way of saying it's stagnant. The same group of schools have made up the MAC since the early 70s, with the exceptions being Akron, Buffalo, and NIU who left and came back like Marshall. They're all happy where they are, and happy being together. And they look at Akron as the newcomer, who joined recently, all the way back in 1992. We'll never be accepted as a real MAC member, because we haven't been in the conference for 50 years. There is no push for improvement from the MAC. At least in C-USA you're with a group of other schools that strive to be more than what they are.

Another possible scenario is if the Big 12 expands in order to have a conference championship football game, the trickle-down effects could mean that CUSA needs several new members, not just one to replace UAB.

Another possible scenario is if the Big 12 expands in order to have a conference championship football game, the trickle-down effects could mean that CUSA needs several new members, not just one to replace UAB.

And one of the biggest rumors in C-USA circles is that a trio of MAC schools from Ohio have approached to move as a group. Toledo, Ohio, and Akron.

There doesn't seem like there is not alot of stability in C-USA. Seems teams come and go on a yearly basis. Some of these newer conferences are very transient. I guess that is why I like the MAC, is that it has stability.

The MAC has stability because it is a garbage conference that no one wants in. Also, very few member schools are attractive for promotion to other conferences. Believe it or not though, the MAC used to advertise that it had the largest alumni base of any D-1A conference. This is surely not the case anymore given that the power conferences have expanded in number; however, it does underscore that the MAC does not fail because of too few potential fans.

UA ............ Victor Salako would be a great pick up and there are a couple of young receivers with size that I would target

This may be a topic of discussion tonite with Coach Stroud on his visit ;)

77 Victor Salako Offensive Line 6-6 315 SO/1L Huntsville, Ala. (Grissom HS)

http://www.hudl.com/...hlights/7307373

2 Jamari Staples Wide Receiver 6-4 190 SO/1L Lineville, Ala. (Central HS) ..... Nice size ..... another 20 lbs and he fits nicely.

http://www.hudl.com/.../jamari-staples

11 Quincy Perdue Wide Receiver 6-3 210 FR/HS Marietta, Ga. (Lassiter HS)

http://www.hudl.com/...lights/73491390

67 Chris Hudson Offensive Line 6-5 280 FR/HS Ocala, Fla. (West Port HS))

Thanks for the info Jrship35. Looking forward to watching your kid in a Zips uniform. We'll need him on the defensive line after his redshirt year I imagine. If he can play like a Nico Caponi, which we had here recently, we've got someone to build around. Go Zips - hit the weight room!

Thanks UA ..... He is excited to get going. I'm sure he will contribute. Solid technique guy, great pad level and leverage. He will take up blockers ....... Very high football IQ

A bit of boasting but his high school team won their third straight state championship last night ..... Good way to close that high school career

• Like 2

First time reading the MAC/C-
USA/Other debate, and here's my take on everything said here.

-Personally, the MAC is more stable than C-USA. But why is that? I don't think it's necessarily because the MAC is a garbage conference. I think the majority of the schools in the conference are content with where they are as a brand, and are okay with not trying to expand/more national attention. Once schools in the MAC get uncomfortable with their brand in the MAC, the conference will become more unstable. Also, when you have more schools that are of interest to more "powerful" conferences, there tends to be more turnover within that conference(aka Conference-USA). In this case, stability to me isn't that big of an issue with C-USA.

- As for strength of C-USA vs MAC, I looked at the RPI's of each conference and took the top 100.

Football
MAC- 7 (28, 42, 63, 71, 78, 92, 98)
C-USA - 8 (23, 46, 62, 69, 75, 79, 84, 88)

Men's Soccer
MAC- 3 (23, 38, 66)
C-USA - 6 (6, 24, 30, 32, 34, 49)

Women's Soccer
MAC- 2 (58, 98)
C-USA - 3 (46, 62, 86)

Volleyball
MAC- 1 (44)
C-USA - 3 (35, 73, 84)

Men's Basketball

Last season

MAC- 2 (20,50)
C-USA - 3 (12,33,36)

This season
MAC- 5 (43, 70, 85, 87, 96)
C-USA - 3 (29, 54, 64)

Women's Basketball

Last season
MAC- 3 (35, 53, 82)
C-USA - 3 (19, 36, 46)

This season
MAC- 3 ( 43, 69, 71)
C-USA - 3 (12, 13, 81)

Baseball
MAC- 1 (60)
C-USA - 8 (14, 43, 64, 74, 78, 88, 90, 99)

Softball
MAC- 3 (68, 76, 95)
C-USA - 5 (23, 40, 51, 75, 92)

--- With that in mind, and the fact that recruiting is the backbone to any program, the better conference means better recruiting. The fact that we wouldn't be in the same conference as majority of our fellow Ohio MAC schools would give Akron a "fresh look" to recruits.

I think that if we can get it to work out (C-USA North/South divisions), then I would be all for the move to C-USA.