Game 3—Savannah State Tigers

Dr Z

Tigers / Zips  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since Bowden has not been able to recruit a solid QB in 4 years we are left with a 'QB du jour' situation. Woodson 'seemed' to perform better today than last year....but...S.State was crap. So Chapman couldn't produce against a shitty team. Pohl seems to be pretty much history. He has to go with Woodson until? There is a Hoyer on the bench. Anybody know anything factual about him?

If these guys can beat ULaLa,start believing. But,don't count on it. OU looms on 10-3.

Receiver play was better today and I saw a few of particularly good catches from Hundley, Lane, and Young. I thought Goodman looked better, too. I hope we see more of the long ball from Lane and Young. It was really nice to see us throw the ball over the middle more.

Hundley looked good and has no doubt established himself as our #1 RB but Donnell Alexander seems like he will not be a bad #2.

Newman Williams pulled his hamstring. I would be surprised if they don't sit him out next week.

Deandre Scott has played fairly well this season and isn't getting a lot of press. Nice to see him with the pick today. Brock Boxen has done a terrific job playing for the injured Rodney Coe. play from a true freshman.

I really hope Woodson is the guy . He looked very in control of the offense. He really showed good decision-making, apart from the early pick. He puts a nice "zip" on the ball that neither Pohl or Chapman do and seems to be able to quickly develop a rhythm with the offense.

Woodson was far from perfect, but today he clearly executed better than Chapman. Still, teams at UA's level can't afford to easily give up on four-star QBs. Expect QB uncertainty to continue. Given that all three QBs are far from perfect, why would you want to lock in on one without being absolutely certain the others might not be better if given a chance? It's up to one of the QBs to set himself apart so far that there's no doubt.

• Like 1

Trying to put today's game in perspective, the Zips were playing an FCS team that hasn't won in two years and had just lost their starting QB. It should have been a bigger win. But really, the Zips offense and defense played well enough to win 55-3. The special teams turned an almost certain Zips field goal into a Savannah State TD. Had Woodson played the whole game the Zips may have won 60-something to 3. So it was an OK win, not great and not awful. Louisiana-Lafayette will be a truer test of how the Zips will fare in MAC play.

Woodson was far from perfect, but today he clearly executed better than Chapman. Still, teams at UA's level can't afford to easily give up on four-star QBs. Expect QB uncertainty to continue. Given that all three QBs are far from perfect, why would you want to lock in on one without being absolutely certain the others might not be better if given a chance? It's up to one of the QBs to set himself apart so far that there's no doubt.

"If you have two quarterbacks, you have none."

Do not underestimate the negative impact that multiple QBs splitting first-team reps in practice can have on the entire offense. The QBs aren't able to prepare for the opponent as much, the receivers can't develop timing, and the offensive line has to learn multiple cadences and tendencies.

Chapman has had an offense changed for him, a productive, when healthy, fifth year senior QB benched for him, and played a big part in a terrible beginning of the year loss to Pitt that that was a winnable game with some offense. If Chapman would have played the whole game against Savannah State, the outcome may have been much closer. I'd say he's had his chance and now it's clear that Woodson has stepped up. This new offense does not play into Pohl's passing strength as the QB must run about a dozen times a game and, therefore, we may not see too much of him, due to injuries, unless the O just does not move the ball. Chapman may have had 4 stars out of high school, but his head is not together now as he is forcing throws, running with the sidestep jitters, and can't seem to even hand off OK to a running back half the time. Chapman needs more work, but with maturity he could be the guy down the road. For now, I would work him into the offense with about 5 niche plays of some sort (as a decoy or main focus) a game to see if he can help to work some magic for the Zips.

• Like 1

Chapman has had an offense changed for him, a productive, when healthy, fifth year senior QB benched for him, and played a big part in a terrible beginning of the year loss to Pitt that that was a winnable game with some offense.

Not so fast. At the end of last season, Bowden said it was evident to him that in order for them to build a winning program in the MAC the QB needed to be able to run the ball. I agree with him, and believe it will work with Tommy Woodson as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

I get that there is a lot of loyalty out there to Pohl, but he is now in the injury prone category, and we are talking about head a injury. They will not take any unnecessary risks with him because of that. You simply can't build an offense around that. If Bowden was committed to a QB run oriented offense, it should never have been KP16 in consideration, it should have always been Woodson and Chapman.

"If you have two quarterbacks, you have none."

Do not underestimate the negative impact that multiple QBs splitting first-team reps in practice can have on the entire offense. The QBs aren't able to prepare for the opponent as much, the receivers can't develop timing, and the offensive line has to learn multiple cadences and tendencies.

Our problem has been less about multiple QBs and more about Chapman not being ready. Both Woodson and Pohl were able to establish a rhythm immediately upon entering the game. We did not experience turn-overs or penalties as a result. The O line is already learning those cadences in practices.

Even if Woodson becomes the main guy, we need to continue to give Chapman meaningful reps so that if Woodson is injured, our season does not become a train wreck.

Congrats to Blue & Gold, Hilltopper, zipsoutsider, MDZip, Glib Shanley, skip-zip, Jrship35, SeeTeeZip, lance99 who correctly voted that Thomas Woodson would have the most completions Saturday.

a-zip was the only one to correctly predict the offense would account for six or more touchdowns. The offense was more productive than the the majority of Zips fans thought possible.

Let's not get too cocky, since 2007 we only have 16 more wins than Savannah State.

After the Zips defense shut down the Tigers, and the offense exploded for seven touchdowns, can Zip fans express some pride and optimism this week?

Other quick thoughts:

• The Tigers made an effort all game long to get the ball out of the QB's hand quickly to avoid the pressure. I think this accounted for many of their mishandled snaps.

• I like a lot of what I saw from the receivers yesterday. If someone can get the ball consistantly to Jerome Lane, he will be an offensive weapon that will only help balance our offense which has been arguably one dimensional at times early on.

• I read (and hear) a lot of Zip fans remarking how this offense was built for a single player. I don't really buy it. How is it that another player is executing that system more efficiently in every aspect? When new offenses are installed, there is a trial and error period, I'm guessing a lot of positive plays are moved to the front of the call sheet, and some getting moved down. I'm hoping the offense gets more efficient each week. Getting the proper personnel as many snaps as possible will help the execution too.

• Newman Williams did a lot of positive things yesterday.

• I hope Coe is back next week. He does a lot to cause chaos along the line even when he is not "in" on the play.

Everyone would prefer a clear number one QB and a solid backup or two for insurance. Coaches, players and fans are all in agreement on that. The problem comes when one QB doesn't establish himself as a clear number one. Woodson took a big step forward yesterday. But he also got away with some mistakes that would cost the team more dearly against a better opponent. Woodson isn't there yet, but he's probably close enough to establish himself as #1 for now.

Realistically, the Zips have now lost the two games they were considered most likely to lose before this season started and won the one they were considered most likely to win. The rest of the games this season are all more in doubt at various levels. Now is the time that the Zips really need a clear #1 QB to step forward and take over the team. Louisiana-Lafayette is a MAC-level team that will give a better snapshot of what to expect from the Zips in MAC play. It's likely that Woodson earned the start against the Ragin' Cajuns, and we can only hope he plays well enough to be left in most of the game.

• Like 1

'Not so fast. At the end of last season, Bowden said it was evident to him that in order for them to build a winning program in the MAC the QB needed to be able to run the ball. I agree with him, and believe it will work with Tommy Woodson as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.'

Lee (Corso), Bowden and a number of people on this board (you) have been in love with Chapman. This offense was changed to accommodate two young QB's (Chapman and Woodson) on the Zips roster. Bowden has been intoxicated with the potential of Chapman, but it just isn't clicking for the guy. He has skills, but lacks the something that makes a good QB. While that is developing (if it occurs), use his skills on a few plays, but this is not the season to develop a QB of the future.

Everyone would prefer a clear number one QB and a solid backup or two for insurance. Coaches, players and fans are all in agreement on that. The problem comes when one QB doesn't establish himself as a clear number one. Woodson took a big step forward yesterday. But he also got away with some mistakes that would cost the team more dearly against a better opponent. Woodson isn't there yet, but he's probably close enough to establish himself as #1 for now.

Realistically, the Zips have now lost the two games they were considered most likely to lose before this season started and won the one they were considered most likely to win. The rest of the games this season are all more in doubt at various levels. Now is the time that the Zips really need a clear #1 QB to step forward and take over the team. Louisiana-Lafayette is a MAC-level team that will give a better snapshot of what to expect from the Zips in MAC play. It's likely that Woodson earned the start against the Ragin' Cajuns, and we can only hope he plays well enough to be left in most of the game.

Anyone else want to comment on Dave's assumption that we were most likely going to lose against Pitt this year despite beating them last year and having a half dozen transfers that made us stronger in 2015, and having it be a home game? Dave, I saw that game against Pitt, Pitt was a game we won in 2014, the Zips should have been there in 2015, but our offense (QB) let us down.

My office Bowden backer stuff has been thrown in the garbage. It's time to win, and we are not going to get there, right now, with Chapman at QB.

Congrats to Blue & Gold, Hilltopper, zipsoutsider, MDZip, Glib Shanley, skip-zip, Jrship35, SeeTeeZip, lance99 who correctly voted that Thomas Woodson would have the most completions Saturday.

a-zip was the only one to correctly predict the offense would account for six or more touchdowns. The offense was more productive than the the majority of Zips fans thought possible.

After the Zips defense shut down the Tigers, and the offense exploded for seven touchdowns, can Zip fans express some pride and optimism this week?

Other quick thoughts:

• The Tigers made an effort all game long to get the ball out of the QB's hand quickly to avoid the pressure. I think this accounted for many of their mishandled snaps.

• I like a lot of what I saw from the receivers yesterday. If someone can get the ball consistantly to Jerome Lane, he will be an offensive weapon that will only help balance our offense which has been arguably one dimensional at times early on.

• I read (and hear) a lot of Zip fans remarking how this offense was built for a single player. I don't really buy it. How is it that another player is executing that system more efficiently in every aspect? When new offenses are installed, there is a trial and error period, I'm guessing a lot of positive plays are moved to the front of the call sheet, and some getting moved down. I'm hoping the offense gets more efficient each week. Getting the proper personnel as many snaps as possible will help the execution too.

• Newman Williams did a lot of positive things yesterday.

• I hope Coe is back next week. He does a lot to cause chaos along the line even when he is not "in" on the play.

From what I've seen, Lane is more of a liability than an asset on offense right now despite his performance yesterday. Throw to Wolf and give Senior Pratt some looks.

Chapman looks like he has the multi-star body but he plays like he's lost out there. Stars coming out of HS mean jack shiite a couple of years later. A genuine 4-star QB should play like a man among boys in the MAC. He's not that guy. Woodson can run and threw it reasonably well yesterday. After also watching OSU jack around with QBs so far, I would like to see TB stick with Woodson for a couple of games, unless he stinks it up. Come to think of it, maybe that's the thing with the staff, that they don't like or trust any of these QBs and are desperately pulling them for each other hoping for one to "stick".

The thing is that UA won in the respect that they beat up on a team they had to crush. Now I need to see them play with and beat some opponents at their level. Pitt was so disappointing that I'm gun shy regarding this offense. TB had better find a way to play some daggum O against MAC and Sun Belt defenses.

What was attendance yesterday?

I am not saying he is the most talented of the QBs but I find it hard to give up on Kyle Pohl. He led our most successful drives against OKlahoma and Pitt this year. That may not be saying too much due to the overall offensive production in those games though. Still, he is the QB that led us in the Pitt upset last year and the near upset in Ann Arbor a year before that. If nothing else he seems to not get rattled in the biggest games.

That being said I would start Woodson this upcoming week and have Pohl as the #2 if cleared. Pohl was not the same after injury in 2014 and that may be the case again in 2015.

One more thing about Pohl, I know he may not be the runner that Woodson or Chapman are but everybody talks about his running like its a liability. Kyle is a decent running QB, a lot better than what we had before his arrival in the program, and I'd say he is probably a better runner than the only Akron QB to win a MAC title. I just never got the Pohl can't run sentiment, at least when he was healthy.

One more thing about Pohl, I know he may not be the runner that Woodson or Chapman are but everybody talks about his running like its a liability. Kyle is a decent running QB, a lot better than what we had before his arrival in the program, and I'd say he is probably a better runner than the only Akron QB to win a MAC title. I just never got the Pohl can't run sentiment, at least when he was healthy.

Wasn't Getsy a better passer than Pohl? I've never seen Pohl throw like this in the middle of the field. I'm halfway joking with that too :thumb:

Anyone else want to comment on Dave's assumption that we were most likely going to lose against Pitt this year despite beating them last year and having a half dozen transfers that made us stronger in 2015, and having it be a home game? Dave, I saw that game against Pitt, Pitt was a game we won in 2014, the Zips should have been there in 2015, but our offense (QB) let us down. ...

I'll comment further on what I meant. Last season the Zips did a great job of upsetting a decent (6-6 regular season record) Power 5 team at their place. That no doubt raised expectations among some Zips fans that we could do the same this season at our place. Lower level teams rarely upset higher level teams two years in row, regardless of where the games are played. Not many outside of some Zips fans expected Pitt to be as ill-prepared for the Zips as they appeared to be last season. However, I understand that a couple of the top MAC teams the Zips will face this season could be roughly equivalent in overall strength to Pitt and represent similar challenges for winning vs. losing.

Lower level teams rarely upset higher level teams two years in row, regardless of where the games are played. Not many outside of some Zips fans expected Pitt to be as ill-prepared for the Zips as they appeared to be last season.

This what I was thinking. The Pitt game scared me to death because they were forced to pay attention due to last years game. Granted that the Zips Offense was atrocious, but they should have expected Pitt to be ready.

Let me comment as someone else who was at the Pitt game both years.,,,,

We played a great game last year, got some turnovers at great times, and sprung a few big offensive plays from Bennett and Hundley. HOWEVER, they were a more talented team than us, and we would have especially needed a shut-down-whenever-we-needed-it defensive effort to do it again. The untimely penalties and mistakes made the difference between the two games even greater.

On the QB situation.....

I felt like this Savannah State game was an opportunity for Tommy to show a little of what he did last year, and show some growth. Honestly, I felt like Bowden could have easily ended his day when he threw into triple coverage at the goal line early in the game.

The unique thing I've never seen before is that we have THREE possible QBs, and none that have separated themselves too much from the others, and one really good overall performance that has to be tempered a bit considering the opponent. I say...Good Luck to Terry to sort out that situation.

We played a great game last year, got some turnovers at great times, and sprung a few big offensive plays from Bennett and Hundley. HOWEVER, they were a more talented team than us, and we would have especially needed a shut-down-whenever-we-needed-it defensive effort to do it again. The untimely penalties and mistakes made the difference between the two games even greater.

On the QB situation.....

I felt like this Savannah State game was an opportunity for Tommy to show a little of what he did last year, and show some growth. Honestly, I felt like Bowden could have easily ended his day when he threw into triple coverage at the goal line early in the game.

The unique thing I've never seen before is that we have THREE possible QBs, and none that have separated themselves too much from the others, and one really good overall performance that has to be tempered a bit considering the opponent. I say...Good Luck to Terry to sort out that situation.

Penalties were the difference between this year and last? It was the inability of the offense to move the ball this year. I've had enough. Moderators please remove my userid from this forum. I'm done.

This what I was thinking. The Pitt game scared me to death because they were forced to pay attention due to last years game. Granted that the Zips Offense was atrocious, but they should have expected Pitt to be ready.

Yes, I agree. Pitt came to play with last year in their rearview mirror.

On the QB situation.....

Penalties did play a part, not sole or even biggest contributor, but they did play a part. A stupid personal foul by the defense turned a stopped 3rd down into a 1st down, that ultimately led to Pitt's first field goal and momentum. The D kept themselves on the field longer than they should have. The focus has been entirely on the offense in this factor, but in some cases, the D is shooting themselves in the foot. There were none of these stupid, undisplicned penalties in the second half aginst Savannah, so let's hope these have been addressed and we don't see them, again.

I thought Tommy looked more in command and little less frantic this year. I know it was Savannah State, but there was still a calmer presence. I agree with those who have said Woodson looks scared. He looks frantic. It would be nice if he can mature out of it. I think until he does that it will be hard to know what he can and cannot do as a QB.

From what I've seen, Lane is more of a liability than an asset on offense right now despite his performance yesterday. Throw to Wolf and give Senior Pratt some looks.

I'm watching a different Jerome Lane than you. The one that I watch helps stretch the defense by catching long passes. A 42 yarder in Oklahoma, and 50 yarder this week. He also had another long one down the sidelines go out of his hands in the rain against Pitt. I thought he telegraphed that one a little early and gave the defender a chance get his hands on his arms. He will learn to disguise it better with more reps. I love his separation and strength. He is not polished at the position, but I think he makes our team better when he is on the field. His position change this year also suggests he is a team player.

zipsoutsider, please note that I said that the penalties made the difference between the two teams in both year's games "EVEN GREATER". I think you got that, but apparently UA1987 did not.

You think the penalties made a difference on the first Pitt scoring drive?

How about the last drive where we had two personal fouls and a pass interference, when they added their game-sealing TD?