October 5 NCAA RPI

Zips up to #5 as 10-0-0 Creighton slips to #8

Akron's opponent's this week are #32 and #195 in this week's RPI

However, last week showed that there are no easy soccer games for the elite teams

Creighton defeated #138 DePaul 1-0

Old Dominion has a very good team...but they defeated #191 Fla. Atlantic (0-5-4 record) 2-1 in overtime

Old Dominion dropped from #23 to #33 in this week's RPI

Denver was #7 in last week's RPI...they had a 1-0 win over S. Florida (#6 in this week;s RPI)....then they played #149 IUPUI (0-8-1) and IUPUI and Denver played to 1-1 tie.

as ME87 said, this is a tough travel week for the zips....Zips need a big crowd for a tough Santa Clara team

RPI and rankings always piss me off when it comes to the NCAA and Zips soccer. It seems like no matter how high we are ranked in either of these categories, we get screwed by that miserable, corrupt, lazy, good for nothing POS governing body known as the NCAA. I get the whole big conference/big school bias but the fact is our schedule is consistently one of the most difficult in the country and I would argue we are one of the biggest draws in college soccer. It would seem to me that after years of consistently being in the top 10, we would finally get some respect.

RPI and rankings always piss me off when it comes to the NCAA and Zips soccer. It seems like no matter how high we are ranked in either of these categories, we get screwed by that miserable, corrupt, lazy, good for nothing POS governing body known as the NCAA. I get the whole big conference/big school bias but the fact is our schedule is consistently one of the most difficult in the country and I would argue we are one of the biggest draws in college soccer. It would seem to me that after years of consistently being in the top 10, we would finally get some respect.

Each sports' championship brackets are seeded by a committee comprised of representatives from NCAA member schools/conferences. In 2009, when Zips Mens Soccer was appropriately seeded #1 for the NCAA Tournament, we had a member on that committee, Mary Lu Gribschaw. I don't recall if she was on the committee in 2010 when we were seeded #3 (to which many cried foul) and went on to win the title. Personally, if we're seeded 1, 2, 3, or 4, I don't complain since, as we know, the top 4 seeds get home field through the Elite 8 (all games prior to the College Cup). Being #1 v #4 really doesn't matter in the College Cup. In 2012, I believe we had an RPI of 3, but received the #5 seed. While it was not appropriate, it never really mattered since we didn't advance beyond the round of 16, through which we had home games. Last season was a joke when blOSU was given the home game even though we had the better RPI and had defeated them during the regular season. Apparently, the bigger conferences did some maneuvering on that one. I also had the feeling that we were given additional punishment for the incident that occurred the previous year at Marquette. While I agree we deserve more respect, I don't think it's as bad as it may seem.

With that said, we just need to take it one game at a time, keep winning, and hopefully climbing when others in front of us falter.

in wed. night games...that could impact Akron's RPI...and the national RPI scene

Ohio State waited until the last second....they scored at 1:09:57 to defeat Bowling Green 2-1

Michigan played Notre Dame (#3 in RPI) to 1-1 tie

At the end of the season, it won't matter who won the OSU-BG game, since the Zips play both of them. If one's record goes up, the other's goes down. So it's a wash in Akron's RPI.

I don't claim to be an expert on RPI....but I think that the Gaucho expert says you get bonus points for wins and ties against teams in the top 25 and top 50 so it is to Akron's benefit that Ohio State stay in the top 50 for RPI. Unless BG puts on a late season run, they will probably not end up in the top 50.