Stanford

I've come to appreciate soccer solely because of the Zips' program.

I'm on the edge of my seat throughout the entire match precisely because scoring is so difficult. One defensive breakdown and you could be done.

And, when I think about it, a 3-2 soccer match is the same thing as a 21-14 football game, and no one complains about a 21-14 football game.

A 0-0 football game on the other hand... Lol. Yeah, I wish there was more scoring at this year's College Cup.

Good points. I, too, would have liked to see the Zips and others, except Stanford, score more in the College Cup this year. However, I was impressed by the Zips shutting Stanford out, especially with their 1.86 goal scoring average entering our match.

I have procrastinated long enough on writing this, having watched the match three times now.

This stings. The championship was there for the taking, right in front of us. But for a few centimetres on Soares’ PK, we very well could be hoisting the trophy and celebrating our 2nd Star. Any disrespect shown toward Clemson is only a by-product of candid observation.

But it never should have come to dreaded Penalty Kicks, a horrible but time honored method for determining a victor.

Zips allowed Cardinal to dictate the style of the match. Game was a choppy foul fest, interrupted by intermittent possession. Credit Stanford defenders with tight marking and physical tackling. Stanford were well organized in the back and rarely lost their shape. Excepting seven good forays, Akron could not combine passes in the final third. And this frustrated an offensive minded team like our Zips. Offensively, Stanford were mostly direct passes into a very good front line. JoMo is a stud and he deserves the Hermann Trophy. But our defense handled those excellent Stanford forwards for the most part. There were a few scares, as Cardinal were not shy about shooting from distance, but Stanford did not see many chances either.

Make no mistake; Cardinal are champions because of their defending. Overall, they were the best side at the College Cup and they deserve the trophy. Congratulations to Stanford, 2015 MSOC Champions!

Only upon reflection does the real bitterness set in. A glass half empty kind of guy, I ruminate on what might have been. Andrew Souders has consumed his eligibility and will graduate. (Thanks for the strong four years, #2! Best Luck at the next level! Your grit will be missed!) Richmond Laryea is being wooed by Adidas for a GA deal. Such a rare opportunity is hard to pass up, so #6 is likely gone. Adam Najem is mulling over a HG deal with New York Red Bulls. #10 may have played his last for Zips.

In the crazy, ever changing world of NCAA MSOC, it is difficult to say when Akron will return to the College Cup.

Tonight I will take down my A-Roo flag from the front of my house, gingerly folding it for storage until 2016. I am grateful that it has flown well into December this year, but I am also dejected for opportunity lost.

@fknbuflobo I have been waiting patiently for your astute, analytic observations. I feel for you my friend because I know how much you love Akron Zips Mens Soccer, and I too, was devastated to see a great opportunity missed. However, I suggest that instead of putting away your A-Roo flag, you should step back a moment and reflect upon whether you wish to wallow in the self-pity befitting a Cleveland Browns fan or rise above that into the glass is almost full world of 2015 Akron Zips Mens Soccer where:

a. Akron rose from < Top 25 to participate in the College Cup and finish #3 in the Coaches Poll,

b. Jared Embick proved to the naysayers that he could accomplish a), and that it could still be done at Akron after Caleb Porter,

c. the Portland Timbers led by former Zips' HC Caleb Porter with 2 former Zips players as assistant coaches and 3 former players on the roster just won the MLS Cup in Columbus, OH,

d. the Columbus Crew, with 3 former Zips on the roster, also played in the MLS Cup,

e. former Zips Darlington Nagbe of the aforementioned Portland TImbers just got his US citizenship a few months ago and has already competed in 2 World Cup Qualifiers,

f. the Zips coaching staff can point to a) through e) above when talking to potential recruits and their coaches; Akron is a GREAT place to play soccer and continue to develop soccer skills

I can't predict for certain when the Zips will return to the College Cup. I'd like to see Richie and Adam both back with the Zips next season. I don't know about the GA pursuit of Richie, but if true, best wishes to him If it's a good deal, I wish him the best and hope he goes on to be the next ZipStar in the professional ranks. As far as Adam, MLS Homegrown deals aren't often that sweet, and I believe the majority of the homegrowns haven't done well in MLS. Adam is a very smart young man. I trust that he will give due diligence before making any decision opting out of his senior year.

I also trust that Jared and staff have some talented recruits joining us next season and that others on our squad have had another good season maturing and will be ready to step up in 2016. I know we will have a senior Brazilian midfielder who is ready to step into a captains role; he was a team leader this season without the armband.

I won't lie. There is still an emptiness that we didn't get the Championship. I wanted to celebrate with these guys. However, I take solace in personally knowing our team was the best. They just didn't get that 1 additional break they needed in the semi-final. I'm not being arrogant. I just know what I've seen throughout this season. They are Champions. They don't have to hold the NCAA trophy to prove that to me. I wish them all the best and look forward to supporting them in 2016.

Edited by Zip_ME87

@fknbuflobo I have been waiting patiently for your astute, analytic observations. I feel for you my friend because I know how much you love Akron Zips Mens Soccer, and I too, was devastated to see a great opportunity missed. However, I suggest that instead of putting away your A-Roo flag, you should step back a moment and reflect upon whether you wish to wallow in the self-pity befitting a Cleveland Browns fan or rise above that into the glass is almost full world of 2015 Akron Zips Mens Soccer where:

a. Akron rose from < Top 25 to participate in the College Cup and finish #3 in the Coaches Poll,

b. Jared Embick proved to the naysayers that he could accomplish a), and that it could still be done at Akron after Caleb Porter,

c. the Portland Timbers led by former Zips' HC Caleb Porter with 2 former Zips players as assistant coaches and 3 former players on the roster just won the MLS Cup in Columbus, OH,

d. the Columbus Crew, with 3 former Zips on the roster, also played in the MLS Cup,

e. former Zips Darlington Nagbe of the aforementioned Portland TImbers just got his US citizenship a few months ago and has already competed in 2 World Cup Qualifiers,

f. the Zips coaching staff can point to a) through e) above when talking to potential recruits and their coaches; Akron is a GREAT place to play soccer and continue to develop soccer skills

I can't predict for certain when the Zips will return to the College Cup. I'd like to see Richie and Adam both back with the Zips next season. I don't know about the GA pursuit of Richie, but if true, best wishes to him If it's a good deal, I wish him the best and hope he goes on to be the next ZipStar in the professional ranks. As far as Adam, MLS Homegrown deals aren't often that sweet, and I believe the majority of the homegrowns haven't done well in MLS. Adam is a very smart young man. I trust that he will give due diligence before making any decision opting out of his senior year.

I also trust that Jared and staff have some talented recruits joining us next season and that others on our squad have had another good season maturing and will be ready to step up in 2016. I know we will have a senior Brazilian midfielder who is ready to step into a captains role; he was a team leader this season without the armband.

I won't lie. There is still an emptiness that we didn't get the Championship. I wanted to celebrate with these guys. However, I take solace in personally knowing our team was the best. They just didn't get that 1 additional break they needed in the semi-final. I'm not being arrogant. I just know what I've seen throughout this season. They are Champions. They don't have to hold the NCAA trophy to prove that to me. I wish them all the best and look forward to supporting them in 2016.

I agree with your posting, including the Browns comment. Oy Vey!!!

There is plenty to feel positive about in Zips MSOC. We will soon blanket the MLS.

Why is everyone so surprised that I watched the match 3 times? Folks on BigSoccer said the same thing.

If I had the film, I would watch every Zips match multiple viewings. I see stuff.

You know, I should concoct a way to earn a salary, make my natural tendencies pay. How does one become a scout anyway?

I agree with your posting, including the Browns comment. Oy Vey!!!

There is plenty to feel positive about in Zips MSOC. We will soon blanket the MLS.

Why is everyone so surprised that I watched the match 3 times? Folks on BigSoccer said the same thing.

If I had the film, I would watch every Zips match multiple viewings. I see stuff.

You know, I should concoct a way to earn a salary, make my natural tendencies pay. How does one become a scout anyway?

Why not an assistant coach as opposed to a scout?

People probably think I'm not a Browns fan at all with the comments I've made on here. They are my NFL team, but if they had to rely on me for revenue, they'd be in a world of hurt. A number of years ago I realized it was bad for my health to care when their management didn't. When they prove they care, perhaps I will again. It is less stressful this way.

Edited by Zip_ME87

Travis Clark usually has very good sources. With Richie's speed and skill, it is not surprising that MLS is quite interested.

If both Adam and Richie decide to go the pro route, I wish them well and thank them for a combined 5 years of hard work and highlights on the Cub Cadet field. That being said, I would be ecstatic to have 1 or both of them return to the zips sideline. Both players have improved greatly during their time on campus. The improvement of the entire team from August to December was fantastic. Early in the year, none of us could have imagined that a back line of Andrew, Danilo, Brad and Nate would hold Jordan Morris and Stanford scoreless for 110 minutes in the college cup semifinals. Goncalo and Victor were also obviously huge factors in the defensive improvement. The coaches found the right personnel and the excellent strategies.

I still think that Akron soccer will be in great shape if either Adam or Richie returns next fall. Coach Embick has two top 40 recruits coming in (a midfielder and a forward) and some of you have spoken highly of the young Canadian recruit from Sigma. Coach Embick and his staff have been tireless over the past few years in finding good international talent so I know that they will deliver some additional talent (hopefully, a speedy outside DB and a quick as a cat goalie...We zip fans can be greedy :) ).

I think that Coach Embick's aggressive style should be very attractive to potential recruits. If I were a talented outside back, midfielder, or forward and saw a tape of the Akron-Rutgers game, Akron would be #1 on my college list. Coach Embick has shown clearly that Akron will be a force to be reckoned with on the national scene and that soccer players will improve their games at Akron. Soccer is a hard game and it is extremely hard to get to the final four....but I firmly believe that the wait will be shorter than we think. I feel very fortunate to be able to follow a top notch college program like Akron soccer.

• Like 1