Bad Karma?

Zips Win!

Yeah I agree he is a cool dude, he could recruit talent but couldn't coach...kinda like cooper!
Gerry was a terrific recruiter, an outstanding motivator, an all around nice guy, but probably the world's worst coach.

Gerry never worked his way up. He went from high school to Notre Dame. Maybe if he would have been an assistant at a major university for a couple years, that would have helped. That was the biggest mistake in UA football history.Fire Dennison to bring in Faust.
Basketball history, too [i.e., sh*tting on Coach Huggins in the process]. Man, am I glad UA has recovered in both, although it took a lot of painful years!

That was the biggest mistake in UA football history.Fire Dennison to bring in Faust.
If the goal was to move to D-1A, bringing Faust in was a good thing. He was the right guy at the time if the program was going to move to D-1A as he was one of the biggest names in college football. Making the move with Dennison was not the answer. The biggest mistake in UofA football history was keeping Faust for nine years when the program was basically going nowhere after five.

Let's cool it on the Faust bashing. Sometimes people are not suited for college coaching regardless of their great success in H.S. This was ND's fault more than Faust's. He jumped at an opportunity that never should have been offered. Coach Faust was a great HS coach. Moeller, though still a power, has never quite been the same since he left for ND. I can't say that his record at U of A was steller, but he did go 7-4 to post the school's first D-1 winning season. and latwer went 7-3-1. True, the coaching problems were particularly evident in the last 3 years (fumble, fumble, fumble). Also, let's keep in mind that the transition from D-IAA to D-I was a difficult process and is still not complete. As proud as we are of the team and JD, the program has yet to arrive a true D-1 stability with losses to schools like Middle Tennessee, Ball State, etc. When Akron knocks the crap out the teams it should (Central for instance) AND the teams it shouldn't (NC State), then we can strat to talk about real stability and D-1 status.Let's also not forget that Akron made a big mistake by kicking Jim Dennison to the curb when they decided to jump to D-I.

Let's cool it on the Faust bashing.  Sometimes people are not suited for college coaching regardless of their great success in H.S.  This was ND's fault more than Faust's.  He jumped at an opportunity that never should have been offered.  Coach Faust was a great HS coach.  Moeller, though still a power, has never quite been the same since he left for ND.  I can't say that his record at U of A was steller, but he did go 7-4 to post the school's first D-1 winning season. and latwer went 7-3-1.  True, the coaching problems were particularly evident in the last 3 years (fumble, fumble, fumble).  Also, let's keep in mind that the transition from D-IAA to D-I was a difficult process and is still not complete.  As proud as we are of the team and JD, the program has yet to arrive a true D-1 stability with losses to schools like Middle Tennessee, Ball State, etc.  When Akron knocks the crap out the teams it should (Central for instance) AND the teams it shouldn't (NC State), then we can strat to talk about real stability and D-1 status.Let's also not forget that Akron made a big mistake by kicking Jim Dennison to the curb when they decided to jump to D-I.
I don't see much bashing in this thread except Balki.

If the goal was to move to D-1A, bringing Faust in was a good thing.  He was the right guy at the time if the program was going to move to D-1A as he was one of the biggest names in college football.  Making the move with Dennison was not the answer.  The biggest mistake in UofA football history was keeping Faust for nine years when the program was basically going nowhere after five.
Sorry but I must respectfully disagree .... We will never know what Dennison could have done in moving us to Division 1-A, as he was never given the chance. We do know that bringing Faust in and meeting his demands cost us a coach the caliber of Huggins (although I do dislike his reliance on JV players). Both the football and basketball programs went into the dumper until just recently.But hey, everything is now great because we are :champs::champs::champs::champs: and :screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks: