The Rust Belt’s a Perfect Fit for Dayvon Robinson

• 1 month later...

Just made note of this recruiting thread.  Amazing coincidence, as I have met the founder of the UA Corrosion Control Program.  Was at my jobsite to film the plating and painting process for USAF C-17 cargo planes.  Do hope she's still at the U.  Had to file a lawsuit against the Engineering School Dean to have the program properly funded.  This was discussed on the UA academic forum a couple years ago. 

8 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Just made note of this recruiting thread.  Amazing coincidence, as I have met the founder of the UA Corrosion Control Program.  Was at my jobsite to film the plating and painting process for USAF C-17 cargo planes.  Do hope she's still at the U.  Had to file a lawsuit against the Engineering School Dean to have the program properly funded.  This was discussed on the UA academic forum a couple years ago. 

Don't the receive a substantial grant from the Federal Government for that program?  It's the only Corrosion Engineering program in the country, at least it was when it was first implemented.  Not surprised a lawsuit had to be filed, the U is a disaster at properly funding programs in the sciences not-named polymer.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:47 AM, Balsy said:

Don't the receive a substantial grant from the Federal Government for that program?  It's the only Corrosion Engineering program in the country, at least it was when it was first implemented.  Not surprised a lawsuit had to be filed, the U is a disaster at properly funding programs in the sciences not-named polymer.

Yeah -- sorry for the delay!  The DoD funds the program at the federal program, as they're the major beneficiary or if you will "stakeholder" as I learned in planning class!  It was fun, because the DoD's program manager is a Cant State alum and the top university in the field is ours!  You can probably still find the thread and/or links to info on the lawsuit.  I suspect it was settled out of court (naturally), but not sure if the UA PM is still around.  I was partly interested in how the program came into being under Pres. Proenza as a small project on the Medina campus, and then the Defense Dept stepped in and it blew up in size.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Yeah -- sorry for the delay!  The DoD funds the program at the federal program, as they're the major beneficiary or if you will "stakeholder" as I learned in planning class!  It was fun, because the DoD's program manager is a Cant State alum and the top university in the field is ours!  You can probably still find the thread and/or links to info on the lawsuit.  I suspect it was settled out of court (naturally), but not sure if the UA PM is still around.  I was partly interested in how the program came into being under Pres. Proenza as a small project on the Medina campus, and then the Defense Dept stepped in and it blew up in size.   

Thanks for the follow-up!  I followed this intently when I was on campus, because I used it as a reason "why-akron-is-better-than-other-places" argumetns all the time.  Haha, juvenile to be sure, but I'm a bull the U Akron.  Silliness aside, I was sure it was DoD, and I'm pretty sure...as the story goes...it was because the all the experts in the field of corosion engineering were going to be retiring over the next 20-years, some 70% or ridiculously high amount.  They all learned mostly by trial and error working in the field, but the DoD was worried they couldn't possibly replace those experts that quickly without funding a program.  They shopped around many RustBelt universities, I believe several other MAC schools were in contention for it before it landed at Akron.  There's a few articles somewhere out there on the interwebs...

Sorry for the rant!  It's certainly a great program that Akron needs to fund 200%.