If The Taxpayers Are Already Paying For It......

GP1

Since we know there would be no MAC athletics in Ohio without the taxpayers and student fees, shouldn't the taxpayers get something for their money? If student fees get you a free ticket to an athletic event, should't your tax dollars in a small way?

What would be wrong with every Ohio taxpayer, filing electronically with an email address, getting a voucher for two general admission tickets to any MAC sporting event they wanted to attend, as long as tickets were available, along with their confirmation of tax filing? Conference championships would be excluded.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 10:59 AM, GP1 said:

Since we know there would be no MAC athletics in Ohio without the taxpayers and student fees, shouldn't the taxpayers get something for their money? If student fees get you a free ticket to an athletic event, should't your tax dollars in a small way?

What would be wrong with every Ohio taxpayer, filing electronically with an email address, getting a voucher for two general admission tickets to any MAC sporting event they wanted to attend, as long as tickets were available, along with their confirmation of tax filing? Conference championships would be excluded.

Interesting and timely topic. I'll bite.

The argument can be made that Athletics is almost exclusively funded by students as a result of a general service fee assessed directly to them. Students already get in free for their contribution.

Am I missing something? How are state taxes directly paying for athletics rather than supporting university academics based on credit hours? Do coaches have equity in a state retirement system? I honestly don't know, but if coaches do get vested for retirement, perhaps going forward they should be excluded?

On 9/8/2020 at 1:24 PM, UAZipster0305 said:

Interesting and timely topic. I'll bite.

The argument can be made that Athletics is almost exclusively funded by students as a result of a general service fee assessed directly to them. Students already get in free for their contribution.

Am I missing something? How are state taxes directly paying for athletics rather than supporting university academics based on credit hours? Do coaches have equity in a state irement system? I honestly don't know, but if coaches do get vested for retirement, perhaps going forward they should be excluded?

Article

UofA receives a significant amount of state funding. "directly" is an interesting word. I guess the money does go directly there from student fees, but in reality, without state funding, there is no UofA and no athletic department. The same probably goes for the rest of the Ohio MAC schools. Taxpayers should support public universities. I also believe taxpayers should pay the bill for college athletics as part of public universities, within reason. I also think it would be nice if for their tax dollars, taxpayers could go see what they are paying for within reason. There are very few places in Ohio that are not within 2 hours of a MAC school. Wouldn't it be nice if a taxpayer woke up on a Saturday, looked at his wife and discussed what to do that day, looked in the news and saw (insert MAC school) WBB was playing and told his wife, "Let's take those two tickets from our taxes and buy two more GA tickets and take the girls to a game this afternoon. They like playing basketball.". And then to top it all off, when they got to the game, there were clean parking lots, clean bathrooms, clean seats, maybe some decent food/drinks and an entertaining game that didn't start at the girls bedtimes. I think a family of four would be pretty happy with this minimal effort on the part of the school they went to see. The might even go again. They might even see the benefits of their tax dollars.

I do not know how coaches get their retirement. Saban is set to get a huge one at Alabama. Not every coach is breaking the bank. Assistants at places like Akron do OK, but they aren't breaking the bank. I have no problem with a couple of people making a lot off of the Ohio system if others can take advantage of it as well. In reality, there are only a handful taking advantage of that. Solich, Tressel and Fickel are the three that come to mind that may or will have 20 years in. Maybe Faust, but I'm not sure he had 20 total years at UofA or how his employment was structured after coaching.  

• Like 1