AK-ROWDIES

Fear this America

There Is a Mandatory AK-ROWDIES MEETING MONDAY November 27 AT 8:00 PM In The JAMES A RHODES ARENA. The MEETING WILL LAST untill 9:30 PM. You must be at this meeting in order to get this year's official member shirt. Doors will open at 7:30 PM. We will be going over everything you need to know for the spring sports season. Everyone needs to be here!! We have some very important guests coming to speak to you. You will need to enter in the south west entrance( where you would for basketball games which are the doors by the classrooms) sit in the blue seats on the right hand side of the court. You can only get your shirt If you come to this meeting.Again There Is a Mandatory AK-ROWDIES Meeting MONDAY NOVEMBER 27 at 8:00 Pm at the JAMES A RHODES ARENA.Everyone Needs To Be There!!Any questions please email me at feartherooamerica@yahoo.com

I thought I got an e-mail last week and one yesterday as a reminder. Either way, I did talk to a few people who said they hadn't received any e-mails. I thought the meeting went well. I'd like to see at least monthly meetings to go over upcoming games. Also, Kudos to Coach Kest for firing up some people and getting us as excited for the Womens games as we are for the Mens. I'm planning on hitting up the Pittsburgh vs. Akron women's game on Wednesday now.

Disclaimer: I'm really, really, really, realllllly not trying to rip into the AK-Rowdies here. I think the leadership has been great and the energy and enthusiasm for the group is wonderful. I know I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers here, but I just want the best for the group...I really do. So please, don't take this as me bashing things...take it as an avid AK-Rowdy providing some feedback on everything. Overall, tonight's meeting didn't seem to accomplish much. It was cool to hear from Ricky McFadden, and Jodi Kest showed great enthusiasm...and that's about it. There was really no need to practice the Romeo or Dials chants...and anyone who has been to a basketball game before knows the airball chant. All of the new chants could've be described on a paper handed out to games or an email sent out to everyone...they are good but not tough to figure out. The other stuff just didn't seem important. Many in attendance got off work or skipped out on working on assignments that are due soon to attend this meeting because it was "mandatory" and because "everyone needed to be there"...and that's fine. And I do want to point out that I emailed one of the leaders and told them I wasn't sure if I could make it and they said they'd work something out...very cool and courteous. I guess what I'm saying is this...I spent over an hour at the JAR tonight and feel like all I got out of it was a t-shirt. In the future, aside from more advanced notice, we need to make the meetings meaningful...have people sign up for committees, and explain what you need help with....brainstorm ideas for chants and promotions...do things that are progressive and have value to both the AK-Rowdies leaders and members. Practicing chants that 90% of the people there already knew for 25 minutes is not progressive and has no value to anyone. Again, I hope this hasn't come off wrong...I'm not trying to be a prick. I love Akron, I have sat in the student section for the past 6 years and will continue to do so, and will go to meetings in the future. But if I was a student just joining the group and this was my first meeting, I'm not sure that I'd look at tonight as anything other than a waste of time. We need to make sure that that doesn't happen, because they'd miss out on the many, many great things the group has done and will do in the future. Here's to a great season for the Zips and the Rowdies :champs: P.S. Please, please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE don't do the "Z-I...P-S!" chant like Ohio State does with "O-H...I-O!"...everyone wants to separate from OSU, but then straight rip off their cheer? Let's stick with our own creative chants...we have some good ones.

can the Rowdies PLEASE do away with the god awful "everywhere we go, people want to know, who we are, so we tell them. we are the zips" chant? That has to be the worst chant in history. A ) it is too damn longB ) anything that has been used in a kellog's commercial for the little league world series has no business being in the arsenal of a up and coming D-1 school.C ) did i mention it was too damn long?D ) that chant doesn't fire anyone up. If anything it puts people to sleep.E ) oh yeah, ITS TOO DAMN LONG.

P.S. Please, please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE don't do the "Z-I...P-S!" chant like Ohio State does with "O-H...I-O!"...everyone wants to separate from OSU, but then straight rip off their cheer? Let's stick with our own creative chants...we have some good ones.
When I was at the MAC Championship game last year, I was talking to some alumni and they asked if we still did the ZI-PS chants. I don't think it was a straight rip off from OSU, it was just something that was done back in the day. Now if THEY did rip off OSU, then I guess it's another story. But honestly, the MAC Championship was the first time I had heard that chant, and it was from some alumni.

can the Rowdies PLEASE do away with the god awful "everywhere we go, people want to know, who we are, so we tell them. we are the zips" chant? That has to be the worst chant in history. A ) it is too damn longB ) anything that has been used in a kellog's commercial for the little league world series has no business being in the arsenal of a up and coming D-1 school.C ) did i mention it was too damn long?D ) that chant doesn't fire anyone up. If anything it puts people to sleep.E ) oh yeah, ITS TOO DAMN LONG.
That chant reminds me of the Frosted Flakes commercial. They're Grrreat!

You're the man Balki...I second that. This chant is horrible, it is not even a chant... it is a commercial for something maybe.

You're the man Balki...I second that. This chant is horrible, it is not even a chant... it is a commercial for something maybe.
It must be the chant that replaces the old "Give....me...an...."A"....Give...me...a..."K"...Give...me...an..."R"...etc. cheer that that AC Slater look-alike rocked the JAR with early last season?

Rumor has it they passed out new shirts.Please tell me they're not "YELLOW" ... Aren't the colors blue and gold these days?What's with the yellow?
Ya, they are a yellowish color. It has the AK-Rowdies logo on the front with a spoof the the "Real Men of Genius" Bud commercials on the back that relates to Akron sports...I was hoping for blue shirts again, but ah well

I THINK THE MEETING WAS A HUGE SUCCESS! ITS SOMETHING THAT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. PEOPLE HAVE TO REALIZE NOW THAT WE ARE A STUDENT ORGANIZATION SO IT MEANS THAT MEETINGS LIKE THIS NEED TO HAPPEN SO THAT PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE ORGANIZATION. THE BOARD WORKED EXTREMELY HARD ON PREPARING THE MEETING...AND SURE SOMETHINGS COULD HAVE GONE BETTER...AND YES SOME CHEERS PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW...BUT WHAT YOU ALSO NEED TO REALIZE IS THAT THERE ARE NEW MEMBERS OF THE ROWDIES THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A GAME AND THEY NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO SAY AND WHEN TO SAY IT...ALSO, DON'T JUST COME ON ZIPSNATION AND START BACK TALKING THE BOARD WITHOUT THE BOARD...WITHOUT THEM MAKING THE AK-ROWDIES A STUDENT ORGANIZATION THE ROWDIES WOULD BE DEAD AND WE WOULD BE STARTING OVER AT PHASE ONE WITH SUPPORT FROM STUDENTS...LASTLY IN REGAURDS TO STEALING ZI--PS THATS WHAT OTHER MARKETING DEPARTMENTS DO TO ONE ANOTHER THEY STEAL AND CHANGE IT TO MAKE IT FAVOR THEIR SCHOOL/TEAM...HOW DO YOU THINK WE GOT FEAR THE ROO...THE ATHLETIC DIDN'T JUST SAY GEE LETS SAY FEAR THE ROO...YEAH RIGHT.OOO YEAH I STILL HATE CAN'T STATE

That's a good point, Quick. I would definitely like to see at least monthly meetings. Do you remember the meeting we had last year before the OU basketball game? The meeting seemed lame at the time, but the results were definitely there. Also, in case anyone doesn't already know, "Fear the Roo" was certainly a rip off of the University of Maryland. They have "Fear the Turtle." It's actually kind of a coincidence that "Fear the Roo" came out when Akron played Maryland in soccer. If you want proof, Click Here. Click on "Make Him Roar" on the left. It's awesome!

I THINK THE MEETING WAS A HUGE SUCCESS! ITS SOMETHING THAT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. PEOPLE HAVE TO REALIZE NOW THAT WE ARE A STUDENT ORGANIZATION SO IT MEANS THAT MEETINGS LIKE THIS NEED TO HAPPEN SO THAT PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE ORGANIZATION. THE BOARD WORKED EXTREMELY HARD ON PREPARING THE MEETING...AND SURE SOMETHINGS COULD HAVE GONE BETTER...AND YES SOME CHEERS PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW...BUT WHAT YOU ALSO NEED TO REALIZE IS THAT THERE ARE NEW MEMBERS OF THE ROWDIES THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A GAME AND THEY NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO SAY AND WHEN TO SAY IT...ALSO, DON'T JUST COME ON ZIPSNATION AND START BACK TALKING THE BOARD WITHOUT THE BOARD...WITHOUT THEM MAKING THE AK-ROWDIES A STUDENT ORGANIZATION THE ROWDIES WOULD BE DEAD AND WE WOULD BE STARTING OVER AT PHASE ONE WITH SUPPORT FROM STUDENTS...LASTLY IN REGAURDS TO STEALING ZI--PS THATS WHAT OTHER MARKETING DEPARTMENTS DO TO ONE ANOTHER THEY STEAL AND CHANGE IT TO MAKE IT FAVOR THEIR SCHOOL/TEAM...HOW DO YOU THINK WE GOT FEAR THE ROO...THE ATHLETIC DIDN'T JUST SAY GEE LETS SAY FEAR THE ROO...YEAH RIGHT.OOO YEAH I STILL HATE CAN'T STATE
First off, lay off the caps man. We can hear you. Really we can.Second off noone is calling out the board here. I merely stated that it would have been nice for EVERYONE who is a member to have been informed about this beforehand. This is a student group and as students we all have finals coming up and are getting blitzed with homework. We can't all drop everything for a mandatory meeting at a moments notice.

Did you even read my post? I praised the leaders of the group many times, and was quick to point out that it was simply constructive criticism concerning the meeting. I never "bashed" the group or the leaders...I just pointed out what many in attendance felt - much of the time that could have been valuable was simply wasted. I'm not sure if you're a leader in the Rowdies or not, but if you are I certainly hope you learn to take constructive criticism much, much better. I care about the Zips and the student section and want to see nothing but success, and thought my concerns might be of value to some. There was really no need to get that defensive...

The word wasted really gets to me. Yes, I understand it is almost finals week and project are due and such, and the board did not get information out in enough time. I understand your points. But at the same time history of our student section shows that unless you get something no one shows up. I take more critcism from people in the Athletic Department then you will even know. With that being said the board wanted one day/one and half hours for the ROWDIES to pick up their shirts. And we also wanted coaches and Mack to speak. That doesn't come easy. And that is why the word wasted hurts me because (a.) it was the first AK-ROWDIES meeting as a student organization, (b.) and personally saying that time was wasted being there is like a stab in my back for all I have done, not only for the organization but for Athletics and this University in general.If I sound out of line please come to our board meetings every Wednesday night 5:00 pm Tommy Evans Lounge members are more then welcome to state their voice and opinion. But a WASTE come on.its 11:35 and i still HATE Can't State

Easy boys easyyyy.. We are all here for one reason...to cheer on the Zips. I applaud the AK-ROWDIES leaders and members in attendance Monday. Sure some cheers are old and outdated, and yes there was little notice, but the meeting accomplished a few key things. 1.) It got the AK-ROWDIES back together for the first time in a long time. 2.) I was very informative for new members who aren't aware of seating arrangements, the general location of the JAR, and they got to meet the board members who they can go to with any questions. 3.) We got a great t-shirt. I love the Real Zips of Genius message. The gold color of the shirts also resembles the color on many of our teams uniforms which is a lighter gold. From what I understand it is officially a gold color. Let's all remember that this is the first year that the AK-ROWDIES is a student organization. This means that students have control of the organization and are doing all the work. So there are going to be some bumps on the road and thus far there have been. At the end of the day though we are on the same team. Let's help one another as general board members and officers to make the AK-ROWDIES great.

Well I guess we can't take criticism...and you're missing the point. I have been going to games for 6 years now and have always sat in the student section. I care a great deal about the Zips and in supporting the team. I'm speaking out because I want the group to be successful and because I want you to maintain the interest of both new and current members. If you'd like, I can tell you the meeting was worthwhile. I can tell you that we needed to practice chanting "airball", that we needed to tell everyone where the student section is, that we needed to practice jumping up and down, and that we needed to go over other chants like "Diaaaals"...if that's what you want, I can do that...that's fine. Or I can tell you that the meeting was a great idea in theory, but that the time wasn't used in the best possible ways (better than "waste", eh?)...I can tell you that when you try to instruct basketball fans how to chant "airball", it insults their intelligence. And I can tell you that whether or not you believe it, there were many in attendance who feel the exact same way I do about the meeting. I can also tell you that if you react this way anytime someone tries to help with some constructive criticism, it'll scare people off from ever doing it in the future. And I can tell you that if that happens, this student section will never, ever reach it's potential of being the bets in the conference and one of the best among mid-majors in the nation.

Point taken. I will defend myself in say that the "airball" chant was not my idea, it came from the VP and it happened, but I will also ask what would have not wasted your beloved time. Sure the "Dials" and "Romeo" chant didn't need to be reviewed much either but being on the same PAGE means that come next Saturday not 6 or 12 or 50 members keep that chant going and make the ROWDIES sound bad. ok there are also chants that were new that needed to be gone over. I am sorry that we wasted your time but I really wish that yyou wouldn't speak for a group or for half of the people there but for yourself and yourself alone. So anyway all I am asking for is a little respect and if you have an issue with what comes up at meetings come to our board meetings and suggests things there. Instead of going on Zipsnation and talking where not a lot of people/board members go on, that's not fair to us. And as JAY said before and I will say again We Are a NEW organization and post behind our backs doesn't help anyone.its midnight and Can't STATE STILL SUCKS!!

Any of you at the women's game tonight can understand the importance of meetings like this. I know it was the first time of the year that the Rowdies were actually cheering as an official student section, but at times the chants between the two sides were off. It also helped us hone our skills in the new chants. By the way, the new free throw chant with "ZI-PS" after the "Whoosh" worked really well. Also, the "That's another trifecta" didn't seem to work. It doesn't help much that the Rowdies sit on opposite ends of the floor. It is almost impossible to get everyone on the same page. That's why I thought the meeting was effective in establishing "section leaders" to try to keep everyone on the same page. The board members need to print out sheets like "The Rowdy" again this year. Does anyone think that the intensity of the OU and Can't games last year was brought up a notch? I don't think it was just because they were big games. They were planned out and came together perfectly. We need to do this for EVERY GAME! I know not everyone cares about women's basketball, but we should all attend one of their games before the next men's game so we can all get a feel of how things are gonna go. We definitely do not want to come in confused and embarass ourselves in front of a men's audience.Also, any of you Rowdies planning on going home for the holiday...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make plans to come back for the Nevada game! This is going to be one of the most important games in the school's recent history! Also, don't forget that our home game winning streak is on the line! We are #3 in the COUNTRY! Right behind GONZAGA and UCONN! Don't tell me that's not huge! We need all of the Rowdies to get in the right frame of mind for that game. NO SCREW-UPS! NO ONE SITTING DOWN AND NO ONE CHANTING THE WRONG THING! The Rowdies should be in mid-season form for this game! I want Gonzaga and UCONN to lose at home before the Zips, so that anytime they show that stat right before they lose, everyone says "Wow! That Akron must be pretty damn good!"That's my rant!Bleacher Bum OUT!

Any of you at the women's game tonight can understand the importance of meetings like this. I know it was the first time of the year that the Rowdies were actually cheering as an official student section, but at times the chants between the two sides were off. It also helped us hone our skills in the new chants. By the way, the new free throw chant with "ZI-PS" after the "Whoosh" worked really well. Also, the "That's another trifecta" didn't seem to work. It doesn't help much that the Rowdies sit on opposite ends of the floor. It is almost impossible to get everyone on the same page. That's why I thought the meeting was effective in establishing "section leaders" to try to keep everyone on the same page. The board members need to print out sheets like "The Rowdy" again this year. Does anyone think that the intensity of the OU and Can't games last year was brought up a notch? I don't think it was just because they were big games. They were planned out and came together perfectly. We need to do this for EVERY GAME! I know not everyone cares about women's basketball, but we should all attend one of their games before the next men's game so we can all get a feel of how things are gonna go. We definitely do not want to come in confused and embarass ourselves in front of a men's audience.Also, any of you Rowdies planning on going home for the holiday...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make plans to come back for the Nevada game! This is going to be one of the most important games in the school's recent history! Also, don't forget that our home game winning streak is on the line! We are #3 in the COUNTRY! Right behind GONZAGA and UCONN! Don't tell me that's not huge! We need all of the Rowdies to get in the right frame of mind for that game. NO SCREW-UPS! NO ONE SITTING DOWN AND NO ONE CHANTING THE WRONG THING! The Rowdies should be in mid-season form for this game! I want Gonzaga and UCONN to lose at home before the Zips, so that anytime they show that stat right before they lose, everyone says "Wow! That Akron must be pretty damn good!"That's my rant!Bleacher Bum OUT!
Bleacher Bum, a few thoughts...- Glad to hear people went to the women's game...Kest seems like exactly what that program needed. - I'm not sure section leaders really worked at all last year. It's a good idea in theory, but when the game gets heated I'm either making a ton of noise or doing a defense chant, not looking to my section leader to see what chant to do next. - The intensity for the OU and Can't games were up a notch because those were the two biggest home games of the year...I really don't remember anything that was planned specifically for either that had any effect on the game. We were just loud and proud with defense chants and noise in general. Personally, I think most of the chants are too cute...maybe have one or two "special chants", and the rest of the time stick with the basics - defense, jumping/noise making, let's go Zips...that's seriously all we need. - I agree on the Nevada game being huge. Anything less than a sellout would be a huge disappointment. Again though, I suggest we just try to make a ton of noise and have very loud chants of defense and let's go Zips...they do the job, they carry a big time noise level, and there's no way anyone can screw them up.

I dig what you're sayin sgm, when in doubt, just get loud. But the "one or two special chants" is what can really get into those "one or two" players heads. Sometimes it doesn't even matter on the chants though. I recall last year's home Can't game. Those of us on the northside were screaming at Gerwig during warmups and he was pretty much a chump the whole game. He even looked up at us a few times as if to say, "Did you just say that?" At that point we knew we were in his head.Also, as far as the section leaders telling us what to do when the game's on the line, I'm pretty much sure their orders are just simply, "GET LOUD!"

my favorite was AGNES! AGNES SIT DOWN!...but i just liked shouting the name agnes. i went to most of the women's games last year, and this was by far the loudest women's game i've been to. yeah we lost by about 20 to pitt, but come mac time i see us moving up from the bottom with a few w's. i know a supportive student section will only help and pump up the ladies. it's 7:11 and AGNES! i mean :screwks:

That was by the far the Best Women's Student crowd I have seen since being here in Akron. As a Board Member yes loudness is the biggest key. Keep it that way women will win too. Here's my question how can I get more people to women's games? Agnes wow what a ho she wined and complained then she almost ruin pitts boardcast on the radio when she spilled water all over the sound box hahaha oooo Agnesits 1:13 and Can't well they just suck