What Will Romeo's Akron Legacy Be?

sgm405

Last night got me thinking...I remember when Romeo Travis came to the Zips, how excited everyone was, me included. I felt like we got a diamond in the rough, a superstar in the making ignored by other teams in the shadow of Lebron James. I heard people say that he would dominate the MAC by his senior year, and that he was a potential NBA prospect. He started off as any freshman would...he had some bright spots, but struggled at times as well. It was okay though...he was just a freshman. Most freshman go through this. And his 8 pts, 6 rebounds a game weren't bad. His sophomore year his play improved...his numbers jumped up to 12 and 7 a game. I felt he was a star on the rise. And then something unexpected happened...Romeo leveled off. His junior year, he averaged 14 and 7...this year, 15 and 5. Similar stats every year. His shooting percentage is almost the same, his free throw percentage has never been good...not much improvement statistically. Link - http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15193And that's not all. He's never really taken over a big game. Never have I said to myself, "We're ok...we've got Rome"...as a senior, he's already missed two starts because of breaking team rules and has played lazy basketball at times...in all honesty, he looks the same to me now that he did as a sophomore. Now don't get me wrong...Romeo is a good, solid collegiate player who is an important part of the team. But I guess I expected more. I know I never expected this...that I truly believe that next year, we'll miss Dru Joyce much, much more than we will Romeo Travis.

I don't have any information but i am affraid that Romeo has issues with J-wood. Something like what Bubba and Nick Dials had. In their freshman year, J-wood was starting and Romeo was the subs. Romeo bloomed in the last 2 seasons when J-wood was sidelined by the injury. This year, he scored 24 when J-wood was out. and he was suspended the next game!!!! I hope i am wrong but this idea is crossing my mind.

Unknown, just the same as anybody else still in the beginning of life-- he's barely 30 years old, you want to vent on him, I think that is unfair, but you are entilted to your opinion.
No need to get dramatic. I'm not talking about the legacy of his life, just in collegiate basketball as a Zip. And why is it unfair to say a player has disappointed me? I didn't knock him as a person - by all accounts he's a nice enough guy off the court, and I truly believe that - but he just hasn't shown me what I thought he would on the court. How is it unfair to say that?

I don't have any information but i am affraid that Romeo has issues with J-wood. Something like what Bubba and Nick Dials had. In their freshman year, J-wood was starting and Romeo was the subs. Romeo bloomed in the last 2 seasons when J-wood was sidelined by the injury. This year, he scored 24 when J-wood was out. and he was suspended the next game!!!! I hope i am wrong but this idea is crossing my mind.
I just don't see where Romeo bloomed over the last two seasons. To me, he is the same player he was as a sophomore. Decent scorer and rebounder, pretty good passer, pretty good defense...rarely takes a game over...shoots poorly from the line...solid all-around but not spectacular in any facet of the game. Is he really that much better than he was as a sophomore, and if so, in what way? Maybe I'm just not seeing it...

I just don't see where Romeo bloomed over the last two seasons. To me, he is the same player he was as a sophomore. Decent scorer and rebounder, pretty good passer, pretty good defense...rarely takes a game over...shoots poorly from the line...solid all-around but not spectacular in any facet of the game. Is he really that much better than he was as a sophomore, and if so, in what way? Maybe I'm just not seeing it...
When i said the last 2 seasons i meant his sophomore ans junior years.

When i said the last 2 seasons i meant his sophomore ans junior years.
He got better from his freshman to sophomore year...that's about it IMO

I know I never expected this...that I truly believe that next year, we'll miss Dru Joyce much, much more than we will Romeo Travis.
I agree. I love Rome - one of my favorite Zips players ever! - but I think we'll be even better in the front court next season with Wood starting at power forward, McKnight the first off the bench, and Sweich starting at center.But the back court, withouth Dru, will be precarious. Both Dials and Middleton are 2's, not 1's. McNeese is an unknown, and I've heard he's a defensive liability. Darryl Roberts didn't qualify. Hopefully Ronnie Steward - the point guard we signed from Columbus - can come in and fill Dru's spot right away. Now that OJ Mayo is in West Virginia, Steward is considered the best point guard in the state. But there's NO WAY he'll be the shooter that Dru is! Hopefully he may be just a bit quicker and able to penetrate a little better than Dru. But no way will he be able to drill the 3 like Dru!

In my opinion, Travis' legacy is up in the air. He has about 20-or-so games left to make or break it. I loved his effort at UIC. I loved his effort in the 2nd half yesterday. In between, I could not have been more disappointed in him. "Enigmatic" comes to mind.
I couldn't have said it better!