Buffalo Chips...a Post Game Look

I missed the first half, so I can only comment on the 20 game-minutes I witnessed:* On the board, the debate over the north and south end student sections reminds me of the Dr. Seuss - Sneeches story. * I thought the student crowd for a Sunday afternoon event was pretty good. Those who attended were pretty vocal. The lower section had a good quantity of yellow shirts. That said, no one should be satisfied with that turnout. Those in-power should be working on ways to jack up the attendance as we speak (or type).* In the end, the attendance will be up markedly over last season...barring an inconceivable collapse by the team. OU remains on the home schedule. That's 5k. And, the WMU game on ESPN2 this Saturday will be a near sellout. Add the bracket-buster game to the list and you've got 14,000 to 15,000 combined for three of the remaining games. That will be four home games with crowds in the 5,000 area. Dambrot should be happy with that, I would hope? * Dials probably played on of his best halves of basketball in a Zips uniform Sunday. His defense kept us in the game when nothing else seemed to be clicking.* Buffalo is a solid team...but one we should beat. They always play hard for their coach and will be a tough draw for anyone in the tourney. That said...we're better than them. * Joyce is getting back into some bad habits. Missing FT's is obvious. But he's also starting to do that isolation dribble dribble dribble thing at center court again. In that situation, because he's been shooting so poorly from 3-point land, the defense knows he's going to drive to the hoop. They all saw the Miami tape. They seem to be "baiting" Dru to drive, and then taking the charge/flop once he's committed. Dru needs to get his 3-ball back. The fact that he's struggling from there seems to be affecting his overall game.* Prior to MAC play, Joyce was at 41% and Dials at 35% from 3-point land. In MAC play, Joyce is at 21% and Dials is at 22%. Both are missing some wide open looks.* Conversely, in non-MAC/MAC 3's.: Middleton is 44%/50% and Linhart is 48%/47% * Middleton's game is fun to watch. Offensively, he's hitting on all cylinders and he's draining his FT's.* Wood has been very quiet. Except for his FT's, which are hitting the rim with a fairly large BANG.* Travis is plugging along. Buffalo's inside game is a tough match up for him at 6'6". * Linhart played a tough game. Some big boards and tough defense.* Idibi looks like such a goofball, but he's a solid player and speaks something like 7 languages?Let's not stub our toe this Wednesday at NIU and we'll have a packed house for our national TV game vs. WMU. Coaches don't like to get ahead of themselves, but I will. Following WMU we play a terrible EMU squad. Then a bad BSU squad...then a bad CMU squad. We should be 18-4 going into our game vs. Toledo on Feb 10th. That's not too shabby. Beat Toledo, and you'll be able to scalp your OU ticket outside the JAR for double the face value Feb 13th. Beat OU and the bracketbuster game will be the hottest ticket in town. The team hold the fate of a packed JAR in their hands.

I am going to ask a question here that I had started on another thread.Was the Buffalo game our first test to see who can run the offense as the point guard when Dru Joyce graduates?If so, how did we do without him? And who will fill that role? Cedrick and Nick are #2 guards. I'm interested in your thoughts.

I will copy and paste the answer i gave to your question on the other thread.Dials is definitely unable to take over the PG position. Cedrick might be, but it would be a waste, because with his speed and slashing abilities, his value will be maximized when he is playing on the sides and off the ball. KD should start giving Sallee some more pt, even though he will be making some inexperience mistakes... but he has to train some one, unless he believes that McNeese is the answer next year.

skhorbotly....I agree. Whoever they intend to fill that role needs to start logging some minutes.Captain...I REALLY hope that I am wrong, but I do not see Western Michigan and the Bracket Buster game bringing in a Can't-like crowd. I might have been a little bit more hopeful about the attendance at the Bracket Buster if it wasn't for the fact that we only drew an average crowd for Nevada.Possibly the OU game could get close to packing the house, but I really think that is being optimistic too. Let's face it, a Can't game just brings people out of the woodwork like no other game can. Fellow Zips Fans...........please prove me wrong on this one.

First game I could attend this season.. My 8 year-old son and I had lower reserved seats behind Buffalo bench. Reggie was a cool customer... We never figured out why he got the T.. anybody know?? out of coach's box?? Lead ref sucked canal water both ways.... Linhart gets rebound -- he and 2 Bulls fall to the ground --- they land on him... Blind Zebra calls Nate for traveling. :blink: . and Ibihi... does the man travel everytime he gets the rock?Best AK Rowdies chant of the nite... With Yassin Ibihi at the line the Rowdies began shouting "Borat! Borat!"... He calmly knocked down both FT's. But I did chuckle.... :lol: What was frustrating to me was the Zips missed 13 free throws and at least 4 breakaways.... add 21 points and it would have been the blowout we expected.

Captain...I REALLY hope that I am wrong, but I do not see Western Michigan and the Bracket Buster game bringing in a Can't-like crowd. I might have been a little bit more hopeful about the attendance at the Bracket Buster if it wasn't for the fact that we only drew an average crowd for Nevada.
I don't think you can use the Nevada game as a reference. It was held during Christmas break. And, we were coming off a very mediocre start to the season. WMU is a nationally televised game. We are on a roll. The students will show up big-time Saturday, and as long as the team meets expectations, the crowds will continue to grow. As predicted, the K.e.n.t game got the bandwagon in first gear.Bracketbuster will be a sell out...if the team continues to perform.

I am not 100% sure why wintherspoon was teed either but my assumption is that it was something he said.He was at the side line and the ref was passing by him, and his lips were moving, the ref turns around and give him the tee. He immediately put the crybaby face on and points to one of his players as in: "i wasn't talking to you ref, i was talking to my player."That guy is something, i still remember him from last year, he cries about every single call. It seems to me that he spends more time crying about the refs than helping his team on the court.

I am going to ask a question here that I had started on another thread.Was the Buffalo game our first test to see who can run the offense as the point guard when Dru Joyce graduates?If so, how did we do without him? And who will fill that role? Cedrick and Nick are #2 guards. I'm interested in your thoughts.
Ronnie Steward is being hyped as a bigtime point guard. I hope that he comes in next year and can give 20 -25 decent minutes a night. It is his job for the taking.

That guy is something, i still remember him from last year, he cries about every single call. It seems to me that he spends more time crying about the refs than helping his team on the court.
I'm willing to bet that is why he got whacked. The officials don't give lots of warnings like in HS. He was probably told once to cool it and he didn't so he got whacked. A T is not that big of a deal in college. In HS, the coach is confined to sitting on the bench and cannot stand to coach his team. In college there is no additional penalty unless he earns a 2nd T. Then he watches from the locker room. ;):D

First game I could attend this season.. My 8 year-old son and I had lower reserved seats behind Buffalo bench. Reggie was a cool customer... We never figured out why he got the T.. anybody know?? out of coach's box?? Lead ref sucked canal water both ways.... Linhart gets rebound -- he and 2 Bulls fall to the ground --- they land on him... Blind Zebra calls Nate for traveling. :blink: . and Ibihi... does the man travel everytime he gets the rock?Best AK Rowdies chant of the nite... With Yassin Ibihi at the line the Rowdies began shouting "Borat! Borat!"... He calmly knocked down both FT's. But I did chuckle.... :lol: What was frustrating to me was the Zips missed 13 free throws and at least 4 breakaways.... add 21 points and it would have been the blowout we expected.
I heard from someone else that was sitting behind the Buffalo bench that siad they werent sure either..but..looked like he was on the court...so..that may have been the reason why he got T'd