Some Governor Information

PEAYNATION!

Akron is to host former Ohio Valley Conference foe Austin Peay in the upcoming Bracketbuster. Akron was in the OVC from the 80-81 basketball season through the 86-87 season where they posted one first place finish (85-86) and one second place finish (86-87) but the Zips overall conference record in the OVC during those years was 43-57. The Zips record against Austin Peay is 9-8. The Governors have faced only five teams from the Mid-America-Conference (Northern Illinois, Akron, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Toledo) and are 1-1 against Northern Illinois; 0-1 against Can't State; 0-3 against Toledo; 0-1 against Eastern Michigan; and 0-1 against Ball State for a record of 9-16 against MAC teams. So, while the record against OVC opponents was less than sterling when Akron was in the OVC, Austin Peay's record is not very impressive against MAC opponents. The Governors will bring a small team to Akron. As a matter of fact, their tallest starter will be only 6-5. However, this team is very athletic and usually wins the battle of the boards and are plus in that category against their opponents. Small team but very athletic who have some major hops. Gov fans love nothing more than watching our beloved Dez Lockett posterize some poor 6'-10" schmuck. Offensively, the Govs can play transition ball but prefer to play in the halfcourt and run their offense. The Govs run a Hi-Lo Zone Offense. The "bread and butter" is Drake Reed down low who has a variety of moves and can take it to the hole or spot up. However, the Govs also enjoy the perimeter and have a number of players who can stepup and drain the three ball with Todd Babbington (FEAR THE BEARD!) being most notable. The Govs are 3rd in the OVC in scoring average (69.6 ppg) and 2nd in three point goal percentage. The Governors are a very unselfish team who do not rely on any one player for scoring and they receive good production from all including their bench and it is very common for this team to place at least four players in double figures. One never knows from game to game who will have the high scoring game. Coach Dave Loos, however, has always preached defense first and hard nosed defense is what make his teams successful and this team is no different. They lead or are among the leaders in a number of defensive categorys but they are forcing opponents into an average of 17 turnovers per game and the Govs average 8 steals per game and 3.3 blocked shots. They also lead the League in three point field goal percentage defense holding opponents to around 30% shooting. They also have the League's 4th and 11th best shot blockers in J.P. Felder and Fernandez Lockett, respectively (and Felder does not even start!). HERE ARE THE GOVS PROBABLE STARTING FIVE:1. DRAKE REED: 6-5, 235, So., F: Drake "The Enforcer" Reed is among the OVC leaders in many categorys and should at least receive consideration for OVC POY. Reed is a very solid player who has a variety of moves and shots and whose range includes 19-9 and beyond. Very strong and solid body so he is never pushed around in the paint. Has moves to the left or right and can shoot well with either hand. Has a nice turn around fadeaway with the added dimension of "hangtime." Averages 16 ppg. but does so in very unassuming, workmanlike fashion. 2. FERNANDEZ LOCKETT: 6-5, 210, Jr., F: Dez "The Rocket" Lockett is Austin Peay's best overall athlete. Very strong body and absolutely SIC hops which is why he is called "The Rocket." The man is a glass eater who also has a nice shot on offense. Gov fans (and the Coach) would like to see him shoot the ball more than he does. Dez has had about 6 double doubles and had 14 boards the other night. The combination of Lockett and Reed down low is a recipe that Coach Loos discovered is giving many teams fits as they compliment one another so well.3. DEREK WRIGHT: 5-9, 160, Jr., G: Derek "The Blur" Wright is the Govs starting floor General and principle ball handler. Very small point guard but exceptionally quick. His progress this season has been nothing short of phenomenal. Can definitely do damage with his outside shooting but mostly looks first to get his teammates going. Defensively, Wright will pick an opponents pocket and is a hounding defender. Despite his small size, he does not mind penetrating deep into an opponent's interior defense.4. KYLE DUNCAN: 6-5, 215, So, G/F: Kyle "KD" Duncan has a nice shot but he does not shoot very often. Duncan is primarily a "hit man." His job is defense and he usually does it well. Has the ability to shackle and handcuff an opponent's best perimeter threat. 5. TODD BABBINGTON: 6-5, 200, Jr., G: FEAR THE BEARD! "Babs" struggled in the early season but when he began growing a beard then he seemed not to miss his shots from "downtown." Derek Wright actually has a higher percentage in made threes but Babs can stroke it and he is considered the primary three shooter. Other Govs will probably receive major minutes as they do in most games. J.P. Felder, Ernest Fields and Duran Roberson have all done some wonderful things for the Govs down low and Wes Channels, Landon Shipley both know how to run this offense (Shipley was a starter at the beginning of the season and Channels, while only a Frosh, is going to be an outstanding player!). This Governor team does not have one Senior among its ranks. It is a very young team. Governor fans knew preseason that this team had a lot of outstanding athletes but expectations were somewhat reserved as the Governors had to replace an outstanding Center and Point Guard from last year due to graduation. These were some big shoes to fill. The OVC Coaches picked this squad to finish 6th in the OVC. Currently, they are 2 1/2 games in 1st Place and on an 11 game winning streak (3rd longest in the Nation). This team did not play very well at all at the beginning of the year. This team could not do much which was right on either end of the floor. Coach Loos continued to experiment with different lineups and rotations. It is amazing how far this team has come from the early season and they are playing some fine basketball right now. They certainly have games and moments where they can play some very uninspired ball and they have had to climb their way out of some deep holes (down by 17 early to Murray State; Down by 13 to Southeast Missouri at halftime) but if they gain their focus then the defensive pressure and intensity kicks in and ...... well, it's a beautiful thing, man. So, the Govs have been underestimated throughout the season. It is a role which I suppose they relish. There are many on this board who seem to be doing the same. The Zips will be favored in this contest but don't be surprised if the Govs hand the Zips an "L". It is a tough, gritty bunch who are also very poised despite their youth, these Govs. Should be a good one and we think we will give the Zips all they can handle IF the Govs come out and play with intensity and up to their capability. BTW, it would be erroneous to look at the Govs early season as any sort of barometer of where this team is now. Sure, they got absolutely shellacked by Illinois and drubbed by Memphis. Well, the game with the Illini (2nd game of the season) was just an ugly game where the Govs could play neither offense nor defense. The same goes for Memphis in the first half. It was really in the 2nd half against Memphis where this team began to grow and mature, IMHO. Down by so many points, they did not give up and pretty much stayed even with Memphis the second half at FedEx Arena. And, yes, this was mostly against the Memphis starters (Memphis knows not to take the starters out too soon since Peay has gone into Memphis and come away the winner before). The Governors are currently in the toughest part of their OVC schedule. Four very perilous games in a row. The Senior laden Samford squad came to the Peay as preseason favorites and were handed an 18 point defeat. The Govs then hit the road to play a team much more talented than their record in SEMO and escaped a disastrous first half to pull out the 2 point victory at SEMO. Tomorrow night is the always epic battle with the hated Murray State (one of the best rivalries in college basketball!) at Murray which is always a tough place to play and the Racers are wanting revenge. Then it is off to Nashville and Tennessee State which, traditionally, has always been a problem for the Govs in Nashville. Not sure the Govs will have that winning streak when they meet up with the Zips.

pardon the all caps response... YOU WILL NOT WIN; WE WILL PEAY ON YOUR PARADE! thank you for your time. this message has been brought you by a common sense-driven Zips fan.
That's the spirit, AK-Zips! The Govs love opponents with such exhuberant confidence. The message you present is taken well as it is everytime we hear it. I'm thinking you probably said the same thing to an Ill-Chicago fan.

Thanks for the info. Actually I really don't know what AK-Zips is talking about. No wonder all other MAC fans hate Akron. On this board, we talked about how the Ill-Chi game was gonna be tough. I don't know enough about AP other than the fact that their name is kinda funny. I really hope none of our players are approaching this game the same way most of members of this board are.

I think the whole over-confidence thing stems from the Zips being near-invincible when playing at the JAR. If this was an away game it would be quite a different story. Oh, and thanks for the all of the info.BTW, if this does make it on to a TV channel people actually watch (not ESPNU/The Ocho), all you will hear about is Lebron, Lebron, Lebron even though he never played here. You will be sick of hearing his name by half-time. Just giving you fair warning.

Thank you for the overview, PEAYNATION. That was an excellent read. :wave: I see this as a very tough game...AP is 10-1 in their conference for a reason...but one we should win. Our nine-deep Team-With-No-Star is clicking on all cylinders right now and we just don't lose at home...except to Top20 teams. ;) Zips 74 Peay 65

I think the whole over-confidence thing stems from the Zips being near-invincible when playing at the JAR. If this was an away game it would be quite a different story. Oh, and thanks for the all of the info.BTW, if this does make it on to a TV channel people actually watch (not ESPNU/The Ocho), all you will hear about is Lebron, Lebron, Lebron even though he never played here. You will be sick of hearing his name by half-time. Just giving you fair warning.
yeah i think you pretty much nailed it... if peay wins here they can poo on me! :laugh_up: i'm just having a good time wit hthe name

Thanks for the info. Actually I really don't know what AK-Zips is talking about. No wonder all other MAC fans hate Akron. On this board, we talked about how the Ill-Chi game was gonna be tough. I don't know enough about AP other than the fact that their name is kinda funny. I really hope none of our players are approaching this game the same way most of members of this board are.
Hello Bleacher Bum, Thank you for your thoughts. I think these two teams were matched ultimately because they were two very even teams in the eyes of the selection committee. After reading just a little about the Zips (That name is kind of funny too, isn't it?) then I think these teams mirror one another in several respects. The Zips routinely place four or more players in double figures and one never knows who is going to have the big game, hence, the Zips get balanced scoring. The Zips also seem to be very good defensively and hold their opponents below their shooting percentages. I would rather the Zips had one or two "Stars" as that actually favors the Govs but having so many scoring threats is more problematic, I think. The Govs can shut down a very good baller but with balanced scoring the Govs will need to cover everyone just as the Zips will need to do with the Governors. The name Ausin Peay: Austin Peay was the name of the Tennessee Governor in the 1920's after whom the school is named. Nearly all the buildings on campus are named after Tennessee Governors and the basketball team plays in Winfield Dunn Center/Dave Aaron Arena named after former Governor, Winfield Dunn. Coach Loos likes to play difficult pre-conference schedules but this year is a little lighter than in previous years. Illinois and Memphis are the only two "big names" which were on the schedule. Some of the "Big Conference" schools which the Govs have defeated are Michigan State, Mississippi State, Colorado, Colorado State, Memphis and a few others not to mention a few close games with Kentucky. The OVC is considered down this year but nearly all the teams are very youthful. I think the OVC is usually around the 20th spot in conference rankings although there was a time in the late 60's and early 70's when the OVC was a conference to be feared. The OVC sent Western Kentucky (then a member) to the Final Four (and that team did not go through the OVC season unblemished) and Austin Peay has caught the National attention a few times (upset of #3 Illinois in '87 with an overtime loss to Final Four Providence in the 2nd Round). However, Austin Peay is best known as the place where Fly Williams played. I was priviledged to see a bonafide legend. Ha, in the pros, Fly hung 65 points on Moses Malone. Hey, I understand completely some of the disgruntlement since the Zips were hoping for a team that would help their RPI. Austin Peay has had similar RPI's to Akron and the RPI always took a hit even after soundly beating OVC competition who had horrible RPI's. I do not really care for RPI nor pay it much attention. The way to vastly improve one's RPI is to schedule top competition and get some victorys which, unfortunately, are almost always on the road and most "big name" teams will not schedule a home and home series. How often does OSU come to play in Akron?

I'm also banking on the home court advantage thing and a full complement of AK-Rowdies at each end of the floor who have done their homework and give Peay players and coaches an earful all game long. I agree with CK that it looks like our unselfish, deep-off-the-bench Zips are hitting their stride and should take care of business at home on Saturday, 2/17 ...Akron 80Peay 65... this assumes no emotional let-down following the home game against Ohio on Tuesday, 2/13. :unsure:

Please forgive my ignorance but why is it called "The JAR"? Yes, some teams are just invincible at home (Austin Peay is one of them) so that makes this game even more of a challenge. It was only a couple of year's ago that Austin Peay had the longest home winning streak in the nation snapped by a Bracketbuster return visit. The Governors had played Wichita State in Wichita then lost some valuable Seniors to graduation. The following year, Wichita State visited Austin Peay and they had everyone back! The Govs home win streak ended at 29 or 30 games. The Zips will be favored and it will take a huge effort for the Govs to win in Akron, no doubt. I just wouldn't be surprised if the Govs did pull off the victory though and that is certainly possible IF they bring their "A" Game. I think this has the potential to be an excellent game. The Govs are playing some great ball right now but have some stern challenges in the near future (You know how conference games are especially when everyone is jacked up to play you).

JAR = Glorified high school gym that got hacked up/watered down somewhere between initial concept/design and end product. Had to be a "multi-use" (classroom use) facility to qualify for state funding. Can't complain TOO much until we do better than the 3000 or so we've averaged for years in the 5500-"seat" (half or more are wood bleacher seats; the rest are chairback) facility.

JAR = James A Rhodes Arena. Rhodes was a former Ohio governor who just so happens to be the one who ordered the National Guard to K-ent State when the shootings occurred. See alternate discussion string--Rename the JAR.
Thank you for the information concerning the term "JAR." Yes, I can see how the name could invoke a negative connotation since it was named after the Ohio Governor who ordered the National Guard to Can't State and what transpired as a result. Someone mentioned in the alternate thread that they were wishing for a completely new arena which seats about 10,000. Austin Peay used to play in a tiny crackerbox gym which seated only about 3,000 but when Fly Williams came in the early 70's there were lines down the street to get tickets and the gymnasium could not handle the crowds. Rooms adjacent to the gym were equipted with closed circuit TV in an attempt to accomodate the overflow crowd. Hence, they subsequently built the Dunn Center which is also called *The House That Fly Built.* The Dunn Center is a very spacious, three level, 9,000 seat arena and crowds throughout the 70's were pretty good although the Dunn was never completely sold out. The attendance record is 8,911 set on 1/29/77 against Murray State. Over the years and for various reasons, interest waned and the crowds have dwindled. Austin Peay's home attendance this year is an average of 2,590. Numbers such as that do not really look good in such a spacious setting. The third level (which soars to about 100 feet above the playing surface) is used only on occasion and is now blocked off by retractable curtains. Only the concessions in the Lobby are in operation with a "concession table" located on the second level. Now, we love the Dunn, don't get me wrong. The Govs do very well in there and it is a rarity to see them lose at home but it is a case of having an arena without the demand for that many seats. Akron fans might want a new arena with all the more modern and new bells and whistles but Akron fans would also miss aspects of the JAR if an arena of greater size were built and cannot be filled.

Hey, I understand completely some of the disgruntlement since the Zips were hoping for a team that would help their RPI.  Austin Peay has had similar RPI's to Akron and the RPI always took a hit even after soundly beating OVC competition who had horrible RPI's.  I do not really care for RPI nor pay it much attention.  The way to vastly improve one's RPI is to schedule top competition and get some victorys which, unfortunately, are almost always on the road and most "big name" teams will not schedule a home and home series.  How often does OSU come to play in Akron?
I don't like this matchup for the same reason Austin Peay probably doesn't like it. The team that wins gets no lift because of the other's RPI. And the team that loses, well that's even worse. Both teams are in conferences that will only send the conference winner to "The Big Dance", and this matchup does absolutely nothing to change that situation. So much for the purpose of the "Bracketbuster".Also I remember the days of the Ohio Valley Conference ... and it wasn't all that bad as a conference. :screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks: