New Hotbed of High School Recruits

Look for Dayton to be cranking out a number of D1 talent players with JUCO level academic skills as the Dayton Board of Education has just dropped the minimum GPA to qualify for athletic competition from a 1.5 (D) to a 1.0 (D-). Thank God classes are back to being conducted in school where it's easier for the teachers to teach the kids the answers to their proficiency tests. Doing so with distance learning proved to be problematic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Look for Dayton to be cranking out a number of D1 talent players with JUCO level academic skills as the Dayton Board of Education has just dropped the minimum GPA to qualify for athletic competition from a 1.5 (D) to a 1.0 (D-). Thank God classes are back to being conducted in school where it's easier for the teachers to teach the kids the answers to their proficiency tests. Doing so with distance learning proved to be problematic.

Talk about doing a disservice to the kids. I imagine many of these kids will think they are D1 eligible because they are eligible for their own high school. Then the cruel reality will hit.

2 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Talk about doing a disservice to the kids. I imagine many of these kids will think they are D1 eligible because they are eligible for their own high school. Then the cruel reality will hit.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but what are the requirements to be D1 eligible?  Years ago I knew the requirements, but I do not know them now.

thanks

42 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but what are the requirements to be D1 eligible?  Years ago I knew the requirements, but I do not know them now.

thanks

I’m assuming this is up to date. I haven’t been involved with high school athletics for a while. https://www.athleticscholarships.net/academic-requirements.htm#division1

2.3 GPA in core courses and sliding scale to match on SAT or ACT.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

I remember the NCAA establishing the "core courses" requirement many years ago, in the late 80s or 90s (?).  It's an established practice now, but back in the day many students didn't take classes that didn't interest them, or they considered "too tough".  No names please. 😉  I don't know what those courses are, but if they include for example upper level math(above basic algebra/geometry) or chemistry many students of the 70s would not have qualified for college.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:20 PM, catdaddyp said:

I’m assuming this is up to date. I haven’t been involved with high school athletics for a while. https://www.athleticscholarships.net/academic-requirements.htm#division1

2.3 GPA in core courses and sliding scale to match on SAT or ACT.

NCAA Division 1 core course requirements:

Four years of English

Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)

I cannot believe these knuckleheads can pass Algebra I yet alone 2 years higher