Ball State Postgame Thoughts

sgm405

Hmmm..seems like I'm starting these quite a bit lately haha. Ah well...random thoughts of mine, everyone chime in :D - Great defense today...I absolutely love that about this team.- Dru with another great game...16 points, 5 assists, 4 for 7 from 3 point land...I've said it before and I'll say it again - he will (by far) be the one we miss the most next season. - Wood with 12/7, Travis with 9/4. Solid game from both, but once again I came away from the game far more impressed with Wood. - 11 from Cedric with excellent defense. I really wish he started with Dials off the bench. - 4 points, 3 rebounds, great defense from Linhart. R-O-L-E P-L-A-Y-E-R. Which is fine, every team needs good role guys. But isn't it time to nix the M.V.P. chant? - Not much PT for McKnight or Conyers...not sure I like that in a game like this. - Great attendance in general admission...maybe the city is starting to notice!And finally...Sat up top today...got an interesting perspective of the game. A few notes for those who sit down low:1) The special cheers either have to be done by everybody or they have to go. What I used to think everyone understood I now know is inaudible to anyone not in the student section. All it sounds like from up top is random gibberish. 2) As I said before, the M.V.P. chant hassss to go. It just makes us look like we don't know what we're talking about, chanting M.V.P. for a role player. 3) Loved the "Put Goddard in" chant. Overall, not bad from those that were there, but again...very little student presence today, with half-filled lower sections. It's too late this season, but we reallllllly need to look into everything and figure out just why the students stay away game after game.

The students stay away for the same reason everyone else stays away. They are either lazy, or just don't care. The same can be said for the football games as well.Today, it was because it was too cold. The same goes for Wednesday. They will find any excuse not to go to the game. Of course, once they have been to one and see how great the games are, they come back. I know Mack Rhoades was there and he must've seen that the GA upper section was nearly sold out but the chair-backs were only 2/3 full. I really hope we can sell out a few more games this year, but the only one that I know for sure will sell out is Ohio. Maybe if they beat Toledo and keep on winning word-of-mouth will sell tickets better than any advertising could. I really, really, really want to get three crowds of 5,000 of more in the JAR.

The students stay away for the same reason everyone else stays away. They are either lazy, or just don't care. The same can be said for the football games as well.Today, it was because it was too cold. The same goes for Wednesday. They will find any excuse not to go to the game. Of course, once they have been to one and see how great the games are, they come back. I know Mack Rhoades was there and he must've seen that the GA upper section was nearly sold out but the chair-backs were only 2/3 full. I really hope we can sell out a few more games this year, but the only one that I know for sure will sell out is Ohio. Maybe if they beat Toledo and keep on winning word-of-mouth will sell tickets better than any advertising could. I really, really, really want to get three crowds of 5,000 of more in the JAR.
I think it's a combination of things. I do think the students make excuse after excuse for not coming. And I also agree that once the students come, they want to come again. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, the selling of the student section seats against Nevada was a monumental mistake by the AD. We finally got a top team in our building...the students came out...and the students were told they couldn't sit in the student section. And that made a lot of people bitter. I know some more casual fans who haven't been to another game because of the statement made loud and clear by the AD - a little extra cash was more important to them than giving their students a chance to have their own student section in the biggest game of the year. A few (including me) wrote to the AD wondering why it was done...and while some AK-Rowdies leaders and assistants from the athletic department contacting me/them to hear our concerns (and it was greatly appreciated), nobody heard a peep from Mack. Not an e-mail response, not even a simple "Thank you for your thoughts...we'll take them into consideration"...not a single peep.This isn't Duke...it isn't North Carolina...it isn't Arizona or Maryland...we're not an elite team that can pick and choose their student fan base. We're Akron, a team/school on the rise that now, more than ever, needs to show the students how important they are to the growth process. The mistakes - selling off the Nevada game, Mack ignoring students - are done and can't be taken back. But it's never too late to start reaching out to the students and fixing the mistakes made...reaching out and showing them how important they really are to you and the program. I have a feeling the Akron Zips are finally going to do it this year and win the MAC...make it to the dance. It'd be a damn shame if no more than 200 students were there to support them on the way.

First off in my opinion he may be one of the best shooters on the team and coach never gives him a chance, and no, 2 minutes a game is not a chance. I have heard from a lot of people that he may quit.
hey may be a great shooter, but he is really nothing more than a novelty act. he stands 10 feet behind the 3 point line, waits for someone to pass him the ball, then he jacks it up. He can't create his own shot and he can't play defense. In a game like this one, sure he probably should have gotten about 10-12 minutes of playing time but hey, if he wants to quit then quit. He has a chance to play on a very good D1 basketball team. Even getting 1 minute a game is better than the 1000's who play in lower divisions that will never go anywhere. This is the experience of a life time. as an athlete whose career was train wrecked by an injury i would KILL to just sit the bench on a team like that.on the nick goddard note though. Every time I see him play, he reminds me of this:

Why dont you stop with Goddard and even the other walk-ons.? You have no clue unless you go through what they go through. If goddard wants to quit, he quits, he is probably just fed up like Chad Mraz was last year when he quit. If he can't play defense why was he thrown in the Neveda game? To shoot a 3 I am sure, but the coach had to see something else to put him in. Sowers, Rybak, Sallee, Carroll all sit too, can they play defense? I think so, it's called look whats in front of them, good players, that is why they sit. Yeah I am sure its the chance of a lifetime to sit on the bench with this team, but sometimes you just want to play. :unsure:

- 11 from Cedric with excellent defense. I really wish he started with Dials off the bench.
I only have 2.5 games of watching the Zips under my belt this year, but from what I have seen, Middleton brings more to the table. However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The team is winning, the players have accepted their roles and everyone is happy. KD seems to have this team dialed in (no pun intended) and he should keep doing what he is doing until a change is needed.

My thoughts on the game1. Very rarely we have not brought our D, UALR and UIC. Another good defensive effort.2. Linhart went into an offensive funk last year around the mid of Jan and never quite got out of it. The last few games he has looked horrible offensively. What is the deal?3. Dials reverted back to some bad habits yesterday, launching a 25 footer with 30 seconds left on the shot clock a couple of times. Nick is money on those 15-18 footers coming off the curl or faking and taking a step in. He is not a pure 3 point guy.4. Going back to Nate and Dials, even though offensively they may struggle, they continually play good D and do other things to win. Definitely key guys to have out there.5. Nice touch from Wood on the lob. He and the Zips also went right after Rollins. We continually exploit mismatches. 6. Joyce is playing at the top of his game. Just do it for 6 more weeks.7. 1st time all year another teams press gave us fits. 8. The 3 guard offense struggled today as well. When we went bigger we started evening it out on the boards. McKnight got some key rebounds in the 1st half. Jimmy played some tough D. With Linhart struggling yesterday, I was surprised with the matchups that Jimmy did not play more.9. I think the Zips won the floor burn battle about 10 -2.

At one point we had Dru, Conyers, Linhart, Wood & Romeo on the court...
Can anyone confirm this? Is this true? I've been waiting to see this for a bit, because I think it's a glimpse into the future. Would love to hear how it went, even if for a few moments. Was out of town and missed the game.

Too many turnovers. Dumb passes. The guards are better than that, they were just making stupid plays in the early 2nd half. Why are you trying to throw a pass the length of the court with like 13 minutes left in the game? THINK before you DO.
I think that full court inbounds pass was called by the coacing staff. BSU was putting all 5 guys in the frontcourt to try to prevent the inbound pass and they thought Cedric would be wide open for the long ball.

My only concern from the Ball State game was the massive struggle against the press. I hope that was just an isolated abomination and not an exploitable weakness. With Dru out, I think it's the latter, so let's hope he stays healthy.I'll probably take some heat for this, but I thought the Rowdies were kind of lame for this game. My 5-year-old was more into the game, and i guess the color coordination rule has gone by the wayside.Speaking of the Rowdies, how about some love, signage and chants for Jeremiah Wood. He has played his butt off the last couple of games and his contributions have been huge. With a name like Wood, I know there's creativity just waiting to explode.

My only concern from the Ball State game was the massive struggle against the press. I hope that was just an isolated abomination and not an exploitable weakness. With Dru out, I think it's the latter, so let's hope he stays healthy.I'll probably take some heat for this, but I thought the Rowdies were kind of lame for this game. My 5-year-old was more into the game, and i guess the color coordination rule has gone by the wayside.Speaking of the Rowdies, how about some love, signage and chants for Jeremiah Wood. He has played his butt off the last couple of games and his contributions have been huge. With a name like Wood, I know there's creativity just waiting to explode.
I couldn't make it to this game because I was working, but I think there is a J-Wood sign. It says "Shaq of the MAC" or something along those lines. Dru and Quade signs are coming.

My only concern from the Ball State game was the massive struggle against the press.  I hope that was just an isolated abomination and not an exploitable weakness.  With Dru out, I think it's the latter, so let's hope he stays healthy.I'll probably take some heat for this, but I thought the Rowdies were kind of lame for this game.  My 5-year-old was more into the game, and i guess the color coordination rule has gone by the wayside.Speaking of the Rowdies, how about some love, signage and chants for Jeremiah Wood.  He has played his butt off the last couple of games and his contributions have been huge.  With a name like Wood, I know there's creativity just waiting to explode.
I couldn't make it to this game because I was working, but I think there is a J-Wood sign. It says "Shaq of the MAC" or something along those lines. Dru and Quade signs are coming.
The exact words of the J-wood sign were: "Shaq o da Mac."I was planning to make a sign that says: "Wow ! knock on the J-Wood." My buddy said that it was stupid, so i backed off :( . Plus, i don't have any photoshop skills, so my sign would be all text, which doesn't compare to the great things the fellow rowdies are coming up with. :bow: