Saturday April 13th Practice/Scrimmage

He's what I could glean my first look at the 2024 Zips -

DSC04348 (Medium).JPG

Ben Finley saw the field as the #2 QB behind Tahj Bullock. It won't be long before he assumes the #1 position. He hit receivers downfield, whether they were open or in traffic. He moves the chains. Looking forward to watching him in an upcoming scrimmage. Seems like a nice kid too. From observing the player interaction on the sidelines, the other players seem to like him.

DSC04349 (Medium).JPG

Finley tosses one deep.

DSC04354 (Medium).JPG

Finley reads the D.

DSC04358 (Medium).JPG

DSC04363 (Medium).JPG

Myles Walker reels in a 40 yard TD pass from Finley.

DSC04366 (Medium).JPG

Noah Perez is still hanging around.

DSC04373 (Medium).JPG

Steele Wasel saw a fair amount of action. He seems more confident this season. More purposeful with his actions. It wouldn't shock me to see him pass Tahj as the #2 QB at some point. Tahj received a fair amount of PT Saturday, but seems to be a distant 2nd to Finley in the QB race. 

DSC04376 (Medium).JPG

Steele tosses a screen pass.

DSC04393 (Medium).JPG

David Jester arrives too late to block a PAT.

DSC04402 (Medium).JPG

Look out for Bennett Adler this year. I thought he was somewhat of an unsung hero last season. Solid, durable. And sneaky-strong. I'd predict 5-6 sacks for him in 2024.

DSC04404 (Medium).JPG

#36 Dante Jackson handled most of the punting today. Very windy...you couldn't tell much from what came off his foot. Adrian Norton handled the punt return duties. With mixed results. He misjudged one that bounded over his head.

DSC04418 (Medium).JPG

Braydon Ruggow saw some action. As expected, he looked overwhelmed. Tossed a bad ball on an out pattern that should have been an INT. Missed a wide open seam route for a TD. Nowhere to go but up for him. 😀

DSC04430 (Medium).JPG

Joe speaks to the 4 QB's who saw action today.

DSC04432 (Medium).JPG

A little chilly, but overall a really nice day for an outdoor scrimmage.

DSC04435 (Medium).JPG

I wish I had hair like Steele. 

DSC04444 (Medium).JPG

Owen Wiley lines up for a PAT. Then, my camera battery died. 

Other notes -

Finley pulled in a high snap and hit Adrian Norton on a quick slant for a 7(?) yard TD strike in the second half. Perfectly placed ball, and Norton showed nice hands pulling it in while also keeping his feet inbounds.

After the play he took his helmet off and got flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Joe was pissed and stopped the practice to forcibly remind every player they can cost their team a game with their reactions to adversity, as well as prosperity.

Not much news on the RB front. Marquese Williams saw a few carries. He's a little guy. 

In the post practice mid-field gathering Joe singled out Fish and McCoy as guys that have been outstanding so far. He also brought in three of his former players (not Zips) to say a few words to the guys. He also mentioned the portal opens on Monday, and if any player isn't fully committed to turning the Zips program into a winner, they should use it.

Joe also voiced the players can't be thin-skinned. They need to listen to bad stuff in order to improve. 

Overall, to me, Joe's leadership style strikes a nice balance of being very direct and honest with the players, while also letting them know how much he cares about them and their success. 

Postgame.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

@Captain Kangaroo Happen to notice who was running with which groups on the OL? I’m sure they are still experimenting, but curious to know if anyone stood out. Did the young LBs of Benege, Springs, and Summers do anything noticeable? Lastly, who was running at safety? Looks like Jester and Greenwood were running with the twos in one of the pics? 

Not surprised about McCoy and Fish. I’d be shocked if they both didn’t make at least 2nd team All-MAC this year. Probably means the DL is also doing their part again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

@Captain Kangaroo Happen to notice who was running with which groups on the OL? I’m sure they are still experimenting, but curious to know if anyone stood out. Did the young LBs of Benege, Springs, and Summers do anything noticeable? Lastly, who was running at safety? Looks like Jester and Greenwood were running with the twos in one of the pics? 

Not surprised about McCoy and Fish. I’d be shocked if they both didn’t make at least 2nd team All-MAC this year. Probably means the DL is also doing their part again.

I didn’t make enough notes on the OL and DL. My excuse- it was spring ball for me too…I haven’t done anything like this for a game or practice since before the pandemic. 😷 😀

I will make that a priority if I can attend this coming Saturday. 

• Thanks 1