Old Boy Network at it again

Zip90

Just finished watching the Xavier game, and what a crock of SH*T! Once again, the refs have to make sure that one of the big boys doesn't get beat in a close game. Near the end of the game, with Xavier up by 2, the State Public College of Ohio (aka OSU) player, absolutely and without question shoved the Xavier player out of bounds after he rebounded their tOSU's last attempt at a shot. It was a total, and unequivocal intentional foul (he wasn't going for the ball in the least, he simply shoved him to the floor), and OF COURSE, the refs didn't call the intentional foul, only a 'normal' foul. So instead of Xavier getting the shots, and the ball back (which would have sealed the game), they only got to shoot two shots (and of course missed one), letting the other team score a three in regulation to go into overtime and take over the game.If the frickin refs would have made the correct call, Xavier would have won the game, but OH NO, you have to keep the BCS schools in to the end if you can!

Just finished watching the Xavier game, and what a crock of SH*T!  Once again, the refs have to make sure that one of the big boys doesn't get beat in a close game.  Near the end of the game, with Xavier up by 2, the State Public College of Ohio (aka OSU) player,  absolutely and without question shoved the Xavier player out of bounds after he rebounded their tOSU's last attempt at a shot.  It was a total, and unequivocal intentional foul (he wasn't going for the ball in the least, he simply shoved him to the floor), and OF COURSE, the refs didn't call the intentional foul, only a 'normal' foul.  So instead of Xavier getting the shots, and the ball back (which would have sealed the game), they only got to shoot two shots (and of course missed one), letting the other team score a three in regulation to go into overtime and take over the game.If the frickin refs would have made the correct call, Xavier would have won the game, but OH NO, you have to keep the BCS schools in to the end if you can!
Give me a break. Oden was mauled underneath and was off balance, simply trying to foul in what was a complete scuffle underneath the basket. It wasn't intentional, and it would be a true shame for a game between two teams going at it so hard to be decided by a call like that. Bottom line - the Xavier guy hits the 2nd free throw and it's over. And if Xavier doesn't throw a lazy inbounds pass late in the game, it's also over. Xavier had the game and lost the game, not the referees.

I think I"m starting to dislike the OSU apologists on this board more than the Sweater wearers sitting in front of me at the MAC Championship game. Screw OSU -- if they lost all their games I couldn't be happier.I've mentioned this before and been blasted for it too -- if you actually think basketball officiating isn't a freaking mess than you ain't watch the games closely. Watch the MAC Championship game again -- I received many calls from around the country after the game from friends feeling my pain and almost all of them wanted to talk about the absolute mugging that Wood received all night long with no fouls called. But the best proof I can offer to you if you watch enough basketball you will eventually here this being said at the end of a game, "You're not going to get that call at the end of a game" Now I have to admit I've never seen the basketball rules book, but I'm guessing it doesn't say the rules change at the end of the game and its a free for all. The fact that it is a accepted fact is a travesty. If it was a fould in the beginning of the game why not the end. If basketball insists on officiating games at the wim of the referees I suggest they add judges (like figure skating) and award points for every shot based on perceived difficulty.

It wouldn't be a shame for a call like that to decide the game?A call like that (THE WRONG CALL) did decide the game, against the wrong team.It was 100% an intentional foul, and the wrong call decided it the wrong way.I don't care if the Xavier player did miss the second shot, they should have had the ball too.

Just finished watching the Xavier game, and what a crock of SH*T!  Once again, the refs have to make sure that one of the big boys doesn't get beat in a close game.  Near the end of the game, with Xavier up by 2, the State Public College of Ohio (aka OSU) player,  absolutely and without question shoved the Xavier player out of bounds after he rebounded their tOSU's last attempt at a shot.  It was a total, and unequivocal intentional foul (he wasn't going for the ball in the least, he simply shoved him to the floor), and OF COURSE, the refs didn't call the intentional foul, only a 'normal' foul.  So instead of Xavier getting the shots, and the ball back (which would have sealed the game), they only got to shoot two shots (and of course missed one), letting the other team score a three in regulation to go into overtime and take over the game.If the frickin refs would have made the correct call, Xavier would have won the game, but OH NO, you have to keep the BCS schools in to the end if you can!
Give me a break. Oden was mauled underneath and was off balance, simply trying to foul in what was a complete scuffle underneath the basket. It wasn't intentional, and it would be a true shame for a game between two teams going at it so hard to be decided by a call like that. Bottom line - the Xavier guy hits the 2nd free throw and it's over. And if Xavier doesn't throw a lazy inbounds pass late in the game, it's also over. Xavier had the game and lost the game, not the referees.
I agree with you SGM that Oden might have been fouled, the same way some one else might argue that J-wood was fouled. Those two issues are arguable and different officials call different things.However, pushing a player out of bound without any attempt to reach the ball in his hands is an intentional foul. That in fact is the definition of an "intentional" foul. Why that call was not made is because the ref is a chicken and he doesn't want to be known as the coach who ended OSU's run.

At first I thought he simply shoved him...however, if you watch the replay closely Oden grabs for the ball. Hard foul? Yes. Intentional/Flagrant? Not at all. The announcers and even the coach from Xavier said so. Again...Xavier doesn't blow the nine point lead, we're not talking about it. Xavier doesn't throw a lazy inbounds pass that gets stolen, we're not talking about it. Xavier hits their free throws, we're not talking about it. Xavier lost the ballgame. Period.

so if we want to step out of OSU's shadow so baddly why are we talking about them on zipsnation?I come here to talk about Akron stuff, let OSU do what they want. win, lose I really don't care.
You probably could've just not clicked on the thread, couldn't you have?

while i won't go as far as claiming that the refs were trying to get ohio state to win, that last foul on oden should have been called intentional. even the osu fans at the bar were saying that they were surprised it wasn't called. even if it was called it doesn't mean that xavier would have won, they could have missed those free throws as well.

SGM405: the Billy Packer of Zipsnation.
It was interesting to hear "Duke" Vitale call the coaching job by Mike Krezewski "probably the best coaching job of his career." Gotta love Packer and Vitale. :tomato: Note to everyone: Please take the discussion of the OSU Xavier game to another board. If you want to draw a game tangent to something Zips-related, that's fine. If you want to discuss OSU basketball, there are plenty of other forums to do so. Thanks.

Anyone who watched the game knows that Oden got mauled all game long. Maybe if you took off your OSU-hating blinders you'd see that. Hey, I feel bad for Xavier. Like Akron, they played great up until the very end and then blew their chance to win. But they blew their chance to win, not the refs. Maybe they can make t-shirts or something... :rolleyes:

SGM405: the Billy Packer of Zipsnation.
It was interesting to hear "Duke" Vitale call the coaching job by Mike Krezewski "probably the best coaching job of his career." Gotta love Packer and Vitale. :tomato: Note to everyone: Please take the discussion of the OSU Xavier game to another board. If you want to draw a game tangent to something Zips-related, that's fine. If you want to discuss OSU basketball, there are plenty of other forums to do so. Thanks.
If you actually read the posts they ARE made in relation to Zips basketball. One compared the game for Xavier to that of the Zips vs. Miami, the other claimed to be showing an example of why the Zips were left at home.

If you actually read the posts they ARE made in relation to Zips basketball. One compared the game for Xavier to that of the Zips vs. Miami, the other claimed to be showing an example of why the Zips were left at home.
I went back and reviewed the posts. Specifically yours. There was no reference to the Zips. The thread began in that direction, but it turned into a discussion of the OSU game. If you'd like to discuss Thad Matta, OSU or Xavier, please do so in your blog or elsewhere. :wave: