Gonzaga on the schedule?

blueandgold

It was mentioned at the banquet that Gonzaga and Akron are discussing (negotiating)a home and home contract. As to who contacted who I am not sure which schoolinitiated the contact. Doubt if it matters.Earlier plans were for Gonzaga to face the Zips at the Q this season with Akron travelingto Spokane next season. Apparently that is NOT the current agenda. What coach Dambrot hinted at during his remarks was along the lines of Akron facingGonzaga in the Battle of Seattle THIS season with Gonzaga coming to the Q next season.Spokane is clear at the eastern edge of the state of Washington. Seattle lies on thewest coast about 400 miles from Spokane. Theoretically Seattle is considered a neutralsite for Gonzaga even though the Zags have many fans there.Gonzaga played Nevada in last season's Battle in Seattle, and lost.

This would be a great game. Would also be smart to tap in to some games in places like New York, Philly and Chicago against other mid majors. This would help get our name out there and each could be paired with another game in the same city against one of the bigger schools. You get two games off of one trip, which saves dollars and at worst you come out 1-1, perhaps 2-0.

We need to play Ohio State and beat them before anyone will really care around town. This is a buckeye city.
Dambrot said at the banquet that they were attempting to get a Big-10 school to agree to the Zips playing them on their court, then them playing us at the Q the next year. He said every school in the Big 10 shot it down. Looks like the Big 10 Fears the Roo!

Dambrot said at the banquet that they were attempting to get a Big-10 school to agree to the Zips playing them on their court, then them playing us at the Q the next year. He said every school in the Big 10 shot it down. Looks like the Big 10 Fears the Roo! That's a perfect example of how the BCS schools are holding down the mid-majors. We offer to play on their home court 1st and then, instead of making them come to our home court the next season we give them the opportunity to play us on a neutral court and they still refuse. It's complete BS! :chair::wall:

Now seriously, If the buckeyes accept that deal, they will have 98% of the crowds at the value city arena and 75% of the crowds at the Q. That's a home and home situation for them. They still refuse that, and people ask why don't we have a strong schedule.

And sgm doesn't think Ohio St. is scared to play Akron. I'm sure he cuddles with his stuffed Brutus Suckeye every night.
Seriously. Why are you trying to pick fights? Gimme a break, dont bring Ohio State back into this. Clearly if every school in the big ten shot down the idea, it's a major conference issue, not a buckeyes issue. Even with the neutral site, the big boys have "too much to lose" with our current status as a mid-level mid major. Elevate our status (as it's started to do over the last 3 seasons) to one of the elite mid majors and then they may agree to play us on a neutral site, only because it will then HELP them if they win.

And sgm doesn't think Ohio St. is scared to play Akron. I'm sure he cuddles with his stuffed Brutus Suckeye every night.
Man, leave the OSU/Akron alone, that topic is beat. Would like to see the Zips and Cleveland State co-hosting an Xmas tournament at the Q. Need big sponsor bucks, but could definitely bring in some top D-1 teams if the price is right.

Now seriously, If the buckeyes accept that deal, they will have 98% of the crowds at the value city arena and 75% of the crowds at the Q. That's a home and home situation for them. They still refuse that, and people ask why don't we have a strong schedule.
While at the Blue-Gold game...I overheard that Matta wanted a 3 for 1, and Akron, rightfully, said 'No'. I also overheard something about a team that was 2500 miles away playing the Zips at the Q. That must have been Gonzaga.Thanks for the tidbits. Wish I could have been at the banquet.

And sgm doesn't think Ohio St. is scared to play Akron.  I'm sure he cuddles with his stuffed Brutus Suckeye every night.
Thanks to all that shot down this lame attempt to hi-jack this thread. I wonder if a warning will be issued to the user for not only bringing up OSU in a non-OSU related thread, but also disrespecting a fellow Zips fan...I mean, apparently that's why I was warned... (I'm not holding my breath :lol: )Back to the topic at hand...Gonzaga would be a great matchup. They are a top team, yet very beatable...and definitely a "media darling"...I'm hoping the rumors are true.

It was mentioned at the banquet that Gonzaga and Akron are discussing (negotiating)a home and home contract.  As to who contacted who I am not sure which schoolinitiated the contact.  Doubt if it matters.Earlier plans were for Gonzaga to face the Zips at the Q this season with Akron travelingto Spokane next season.  Apparently that is NOT the current agenda.  What coach Dambrot hinted at during his remarks was along the lines of Akron facingGonzaga in the Battle of Seattle THIS season with Gonzaga coming to the Q next season.Gonzaga played Nevada in last season's Battle in Seattle, and lost.
I have my doubts whether this will come about this season. I raised the same "rumor" with coaches earlier this past season, and was told there were no plans to play GU in the future, only the tourney in Alaska. Also, Why would Gonzaga invite Akron to play the nationally-televised game in Seattle, when they could easily get a Memphis or Louisville type opponent. Unless they're looking for someone they find easier to beat than Nevada was, I can't fathom the two teams playing any "Battle in Seattle". Very few in the River City would be interested in seeing the Zips, honestly. I, on the other hand, would jump on the next plane, to fly the 3000 miles, and it would be a lot more comfortable than Fairbanks, I am sure. B)

Also, Why would Gonzaga invite Akron to play the nationally-televised game in Seattle, when they could easily get a Memphis or Louisville type opponent.  Unless they're looking for someone they find easier to beat than Nevada was.
I think you hit it on the head. Gonzaga thinks that we would be a more winnable game for them than a Nevada which beat them last year. I hope this happens so we can get the chance to get a nice win against a "big name" mid-major!