Braylon Edwards on NFLRadio

Dr Z

Braylon was just interviewed on Sirius NFL by Pat Kerwin.(I'll stick to the Frye questions)PK: We talked to you before the draft and you stated that Frye was the guy, is that still the case?BE: Charlie is our guy and now he has someone to push him. He has to beat him out.PK: Size up Frye's year for us.BE: He still has a lot of growing to do, he was coming from a MAC school, so he had a long way to go, he isn't like Brady who comes from a big program with a big time coach.PK: Your with another new offense, how will this help you and Charlie?BE: Last year we were a run first team and we couldn't run, that put Charlie in a bad position. This year we will do more passing on first down. I will be lining up all over this year (if I had a dime for every time a heard a WR say this).PK: I'm a friend of Romeo's, do you think he deserves an extension?BE: Both Charlie and Romeo should be judged starting now, both got thrown into a bad situation. Charlie basically had no protection, with his feet, he felt like he could make plays, but he is not Vick, he needs some protection.

What a Pro BCS School Dick!!!!!What about Ken Dorsey Braylon?He play for Miami and only lost one game as a starter. Does he have any growing to do?Should he be the starter?????Just because you played at a Big School and play in a good football system does not mean you will be a good pro. Hey Braylon did Quinn get pro experience from playing all of those shit teams ND has on their schedule???? :nutkick:

That comment rubbed me the wrong way too. I think back to balls that "popped" out of Edwards hands last year and wonder what he was insinuating about Frye.All and all, he was very complimentary towards Charlie, just not Akron. :nutkick:

Hey Braylon! Here is another MAC quarterback who transitioned pretty well.....ever heard of Ben Roethlisberger.Rookie year - stepped into the starting role and became unquestionably the best rookie quarterback to ever play the game. He led the Steelers to a 15-1 record as a starter, losing only in the AFC Championship game, and set many rookie passing records, including best passer rating (98.1), and highest completion percentage (66.4%). Following his rookie season - Superbowl Champion with a run in the playoffs defeating Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Denver all on the road. From Findlay, OH, and Miami University... the youngest quarterback to ever win the Super Bowl!Fortunately for Ben, he had protection and capable receivers.

Fortunately for Ben, he had protection and capable receivers.
If I remember correctly, he also had a running game behind him. Wow ... a line, receivers who have time to run their routes and run them well, and running backs who have holes opened up for them and have the ability to take advantage of them. I'm a Browns fan. Otherwise, I'd LOVE to see pretty boy Quinn get a dose or two of what Charlie has taken. I'll bet his "pro-style" pocket presence would suffer just a little.

However, Ben did find out that he has some work ahead of him to become a good NFL quarterback when he lost his supporting cast after the Super Bowl. Terry Pluto posed the question in the Beacon this morning...something like...."Where would Ben be if he was with the 2004 Browns instead of the 2004 Steelers." It's a good point.For my money, I think Chad Pennington is the best QB to ever come out of the MAC. Braylon's comment does bother me. Like I've said before, if the best NFL players all came from the top colleges, then the NFL would have no need for talent scouts.I do like that Braylon said that Charlie should start being evaluated now. I think that's a fair way to look at this Frye/Quinn situation. Give Charlie a chance now that he has some type of OL and Running Game behind him. In the same Pluto article this morning, Phil Savage admits that Charlie has better mobility than Quinn. That's likely an indication that he won't throw Quinn to the wolves until the OL gets more solidified. You guys are all correct. Notre Dame does schedule some weak competition. And those were some of Quinn's best game.

However, Ben did find out that he has some work ahead of him to become a good NFL quarterback when he lost his supporting cast after the Super Bowl. Terry Pluto posed the question in the Beacon this morning...something like...."Where would Ben be if he was with the 2004 Browns instead of the 2004 Steelers." It's a good point.For my money, I think Chad Pennington is the best QB to ever come out of the MAC.
Going to the AFC Championship your first year and winning a Super Bowl your second year makes you a good NFL QB.The year before Ben went to the Steelers, they were awful (6-10). There were almost no changes in the team and they went 15-1 with Ben the next year. Ben has been the difference in the Steelers performance. Ben is a winner, case closed.The difference between the Steeler's Super Bowl season and last season was Ben losing half his brain in a motorcycle accident before the season started. Randle El was the biggest loss and that wasn't even that big of a loss. He only caught something like 33 passes his last year with the Steelers. Bettis? All that guy was doing his last couple of years was taking the ball and fall down when he got to the line.The point that Pluto makes is just stupid because nobody knows what might have happened. What if Ben went to Cleveland and went 9-7 and didn't make the playoffs? What if Frye gets drafted and never sees the field with another team, which would probably have been the case. Some of you have to understand that things are almost always exactly as they appear. The "what if" game is just a sad game that losers play. Pluto is the typical Cleveland sports fan crybaby.Every year, eveyone in the media attempts to find the best team in the AFC North and every year they look past Pittsburgh to more sexy teams like Baltimore and Cincy. Most of the time they are wrong. The Steelers will be a playoff team this season. As bad as they were last year they still went 8-8 and were in the playoff chase until the end.I don't know who the best MAC QB has been in the past 20 years, but Pennington, Limpwich and Roethlisberger are the three best during that period. What they did at their schools speaks for itself. Nobody comes close. In the background are people like Frye, Gradkowski, etc., but they are not at the top.

After the interview was over, Pat mentioned that he has interviewed Braylon for three years and he has seen how he has grown up this year and he predicts big things for him this year. Sirius NFL goes to every camp during pre season. They interview 5 or 6 players when they are at their camp. They will interview Frye for sure. If Pat is there, he will ask Charlie about Braylon's comment. Pat has an incredible memory. I'll post the schedule here when it is out.

Sorry GP1, but I'm just not a fan of the argument that you're a great quarterback when your team wins a Super Bowl. Is Trent Dilfer also a great quarterback because his team won a Super Bowl? And what does this say about Dan Marino. Ben's QB rating plummeted last year after they lost some key players form their Super Bowl team, and he was suddenly forced to make things happen offensively. But to be fair, and take the accident into account, I'll say that the "jury is still out" on how good he is. I am wondering if anyone watched Fox8 News last night....Braylon was being interviewed, and he talked something about how picking Quinn was a great addition, and how "all the pieces are coming together" to make them a good football team.After the support he's given to Charlie Frye, do all of you agree that WRs really kiss up to the QBs in the press since they hope it means that more balls will be thrown their way? And since he doesn't know who his QB is going to be, then he feels its in his best interest to speak highly of whichever one he is being asked about at that time?It makes sense to do that, but I was curious if anyone else got the same feeling.On the other hand, it seems that Terrell Owens has not yet mastered this PR skill when it comes to his QBs. :lol:

Sorry GP1, but I'm just not a fan of the argument that you're a great quarterback when your team wins a Super Bowl. Is Trent Dilfer also a great quarterback because his team won a Super Bowl?
Ben Records (in 3 nfl seasons) * Most regular season wins by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 14 games * Highest quarterback rating by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 98.1 * Highest completion percentage by an NFL rookie quarterback (2004) - 66.4% * Longest regular season win streak to start a career for an NFL quarterback (2004-05) - 15 games * First quarterback to start two Conference Championship games in first two seasons in the NFL (2004 & 2005) * 32-11 won/loss record (including 5-1 in the playoffs) as a starting quarterback in the NFL (as of 12/07/06) * Second youngest quarterback to play in the Super Bowl (2005), behind Dan Marino * Youngest quarterback ever to win the Super Bowl (2005) [see above] * Achieved the 32nd perfect passer rating in NFL history in a game against the Titans on September 11, 2005.Trent Records (in 12 nfl seasons) * got drafted

Any discussion of Browns or Steelers or any other team is irrelevant. With what the Patriots did this offseason, they're not only the obvious Super Bowl favorites, they're the obvious Super Bowl winners. Phil Mickelson should place his bet now.With respect to the Edwards interview, I don't see what all the negative hub-bub is about. Braylon was quite complimentatry of Frye (I was surprised at how complimentary) and, while he did take a poke at the MAC, he was referring to MAC vs big-time conferences. I don't think it is crazy to say that a QB coming out of the MAC is going to have a bigger adjustment to make than one coming from the SEC or Big 10.For you Browns fans out there, I think the fact that he is complimentary of both QB's and not spouting off about something is a positive sign that maybe he's maturing???

Dr. Z.....since you didn't have any 2006 stats listed, here's a recap:75.4 QB rating with 23 interceptions. And I am not a Steelers fan or Browns fan, so I'm not being biased. Just stating the facts.Young QB's really get tested when they have to start actually making some things happen on his own. And he clearly struggled. We'll see what happens from here on out.

Dr. Z.....since you didn't have any 2006 stats listed, here's a recap:75.4 QB rating with 23 interceptions.  And I am not a Steelers fan or Browns fan, so I'm not being biased.  Just stating the facts.Young QB's really get tested when they have to start actually making some things happen on his own. And he clearly struggled.  We'll see what happens from here on out.
I listed records for the HISTORY OF THE NFL, not yearly stats. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Quote of the Week II"I want to go on record. Charlie [Frye] is our guy. With our new offensive system, Charlie could be looking at a big year.''-- Cleveland wide receiver Braylon Edwards.Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage will be surprised to hear that, after spending next year's first-round pick and this year's second-rounder on Brady Quinn.Source: MMQB Peter King