Future Glimpses

GoZips

The sun is a bit more than warm on my back. I glance to the scoreboard. Forty-five tofourteen the Zips over new MAC member Youngstown State. Mercifully there is but 7:32remaining on the game clock. Brookhart has long since called off the dogs.YSU put up a pretty good fight the first half. After all, they trailed by a mere touchdowngoing into the locker room at half time. This being only the second year for the Penguinsin I-A football. In time they may do the MAC proud. Not today. Their vocal contingentnestled on the east side of the stadium between the south goal line and the ten didits best to be heard in a sold out crowd of thirty-five thousand.Looking to the scoreboard at the north end I enjoy the eye candy of the Big EastConference logo dominating the left side of the electronic dazzler of a scoreboard.Second year for the Zips in the Big East and already picked to win the West division.A little scary, but delightful. Senior QB Hakes is congratulating his team mates. Thiswas, after all, a lot easier game than the heart breaking seventeen to fourteen lossdown in Columbus last week. A forty-two yard field goal right down the pipes as theclock went to zero saved the day for the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes knew going in that the Zips would be a battle. Not this much of a battlefor sure. But, no opening day blow out expected or gotten. The Zips had made agame of it. The patch of red and white across from me reminded me of the sea ofred from last week.Funny, I thought, a few years ago people would have been screaming that ten dollarsa ticket was outrageous. Now, here I am stuffed in a pack of excited Zips fans whopaid forty-five bucks a ducat to sit here at the twenty-five and not a peep about the cost from any soul.I looked at the throng still drinking in the 45-14 shelling. Wonder how we fare nextweek against our third red and white opponent. The Badgers of Wisconsin make their first trip ever to Akron. Let's hope that Cochrane Stadium provides the Badgerswith a long day.Game ends. Heading for the parking lot amongst lots of cheers and some well wishestossed both ways between Zip and Penguin fans. YSU has a long trek to reach MAClevel football. Still, it was good move for them and that conference.Look, there's coach Dambrot and his family. Finally his scheduling problems have turned to selecting who we can play. Before; getting games, especially at home wasakin to pulling elephant teeth. I think this year's schedule is complete unlike yearspast where the Zips had open dates at the start of the season.Walking along get to thinking how things have changed. The Zips had recentlyannounced that they were going to play Bowling Green in the future in football. Atwo-for-one contract starting in 2013. BG wisely sandwiched their home game between two trips to Akron. How things change.Opening the car door the YSU fans parked next to me nod. The father having broughta passle of teen age boys all decked out in YSU gear. One boy, smiling, says, "itsokay, we'll beat youse guys next year." Only, there will not be a game with YSU anytime in the near future. This was a schedule filler brought on by Akron jumping to theBig East and YSU growing up to join the MAC taking Akron's place.That sun is still warm on my back. Its a grand feeling.

Nice try, rookie. Er, ZIPLESS MEISTER.Kenneth "Red" Cochrane's name is spelled correctly. Check your resources beforeinserting foot in mouth.There were two footballers with the last name of Cochran. But, the famous and muchloved "Red" spelt his surname "Cochrane". Odd that Bowling Green would name oneof their sports facilities after a great University of Akron legend.By the way, Administration is not spelt "Administartion".Touche'

Nice try GoofZips er I mean GoZips.You are WRONG.  To get a clue Search for "Cochran Gym" on UA web site.
GoZips, as i suspected is CORRECT!One of the unique nicknames in all of intercollegiate athletics belongs to The University of Akron. Originally Zippers, athletic director Kenneth Red Cochrane officially shortened the nickname to the Zips in 1950. Twenty-five years earlier a campus-wide contest had been conducted to choose a nickname for the University's athletic teams. Suggestions submitted by students, faculty, and alumni included Golden Blue Devils, Tip Toppers, Rubbernecks, Hillbillies, Kangaroos, and Cheveliers. The winner, freshman Margaret Hamlin, received a prize of $10 for Zippers - a $6 pair of rubber overshoes and a brand name of the BF Goodrich Company. from a very 'reliable' source... http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...0&ATCLID=323405when i search for "Cochran" all i got was a dance team tryout information page that misrepresented a name.Thanks for playing Zipmeister :wave:

If only the Big East wanted us....Unfortunately, if a rep. from that conference came to one of our football games and only saw about 5,000 people actually sitting in the stands, they'd turn around and go home.Very nice thoughts though.
Not to mention having to survive one of the Rubber Bowl Men's Rooms which fragrantly add the sour, ostentatious smell of pee as a segue to getting knocked out by a falling chunk of stadium concrete.