Akron In Top Of The World Classic

mollautt

Anyone know what a 3 year old can do in Fairbanks in November? Seems like most of the activities up there shut down in September. If I can find stuff to do w/ the family outside of the games .. I'm gonna try and make this trip.
I didn't see a whole lot you could do there (only so much can be done with 2 hours of daylight and highs in the 20's), but at a minimum your 3-year-old can play with my 3- and 5-year-olds. My wife and I decided this is the perfect use for our frequent flyer miles.Anyone know at what hotel the Zips will be staying?

Anyone know what a 3 year old can do in Fairbanks in November?  Seems like most of the activities up there shut down in September.  If I can find stuff to do w/ the family outside of the games .. I'm gonna try and make this trip.
I didn't see a whole lot you could do there (only so much can be done with 2 hours of daylight and highs in the 20's), but at a minimum your 3-year-old can play with my 3- and 5-year-olds. My wife and I decided this is the perfect use for our frequent flyer miles.Anyone know at what hotel the Zips will be staying?
This might happen. I have a little convincing to do .. but I'm trying to make this work for us.Bird, were you hanging w/ Z-Pouch after the MACC in Detroit 2 years ago?

This destination intrigues me just like it does a number of you. I think we should bepooling information and designing travel plans. What I know so far is that airfare iscurrently about $725 R/T out of Akron-Canton. There is only about two hours of daylight in mid-November. Its going to be cold and depressingly dark there. Fairbanks is a long, long way from Akron. I once spent Memorial day weekend inAnchorage using a left over "bump" ticket on Northwest. Fortunately is was a firstclass bump ticket. Folks, Anchorage is a five hour flight out of Seattle. Fairbanksis as far from Anchorage as Chicago is from Akron. Flying up and flying back will consume an entire day each way. Thus, with the tournament beginning on November15th (a Thursday) and ending on the 18th (a Saturday) your travel days will be the14th and the 20th. That will also require five nights at a hotel. With some research we can find some things to do aside from freezing our arses offand watching basketball and more basketball.Anchorage over Memorial Day was delightful. 22 hours of daylight. It never really got dark, only twilight. Driving around at 11:30 PM and no one with their headlights one.It was still broad daylight. Anchorage was warm in the low seventies. One tourist spotthat we visited was the Great Alaskan Bush Company. Basically and old fashion houseof pleasure, you know, a whore house, turned into a modern day restaurant and bar.Generally, food is quite good in Alaska. I would expect the same of Fairbanks. Fairbanks is a city of 80,000. That makes it roughly a bit smaller than Canton. Thus,it will probably require a rental car to get around. Would be nice to check into locationsof the arena, hotels, airport, downtown, shopping malls, etc.Fairbanks Web Page

If Continental would just keep their non-stop to Seattle a little longer, then this trip would be way more manageable. One stop, 2 ~4hr flights. .. could stay in SEA for a day to break the trip up.Needing 2 stops to get there really sucks.Hey Z-P how about running a direct charter with your Pinto? It's got wings, right?

Another Observation....We're scheduled to play our games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. But some teams have the luxury of playing Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I wonder if that was just an unlucky draw? Not sure how they determined that. Question:Does anyone have an early scouting report on South Carolina Upstate? They actually have a budget that allows them to travel to Fairbanks to be a whipping post for the projected tournament favorite? I think this could possibly be the next destination for the dynamic duo of Heath and Hipsher.

I used to live in Nome (to the west of Fairbanks) and am hoping to make the trip as well. I have some friends in Fairbanks so we'll see.GoZips:People, if you go to Fairbanks in late November, you had better dress warm, because you will experience cold like you've never felt in your life. The average temp in FAI is 2.7 in November. It can go as low as -66, that's before you include windchill. When I lived up there, it was -30 in November.Also, it will take at least 24 hours to get up there on a reasonably priced ticket. That includes layover time. Alaska is 4 hours behind eastern time. It's 12am here, it's 8pm there.Fairbanks is barely below the arctic circle, so you'll have "some" daylight in November. The sun will rise around 11am, and set 3 or 4pmish.There's more, but I'm too tired to type any more. Oh, to anyone taking kids, they need to seriously be bundled up. If the weather is right, you may have windchills nearing -70.

UAZips, thanks for the information. and, yes, I plan to make the trip.I just did a little research using AOL's weather and here is what I found.Sunrise will be around 9:30 AM during the Nov. 15-20 time frame.Sunset will be approximately 3:30 PM those days. That is about six hours of daylightof which an hour or so in the morning and in the afternoon will be more like twilightthan daylight.The mean temperature is four degrees Fahrenheit. Average high is ten. Average lowis minus five. All time highs on these dates hovers around forty while all of thedates having all time lows ranging from minus thirty to a brisk minus thirty-five.And, yes, the wind chills can and do hit minus seventy.Ken Beech, a great Zips fan, one of my personal heroes for his punching out the a-holeCantSucks player who crash landed on Ken's lovely wife during CantSucks thrashingparty, er, basketball game, frequently makes trips to Fairbanks. The basketballteam is relying on Ken's expertise to help them plan this foray.Coach McFadden tells me that Fairbanks has just eight sizable and nice hotels.UA-Fairbanks has not yet assigned the Zips to a particular hotel. When they do he wille-mail the information and I will post it. The Zips travel days are Wednesday thesixteenth and Monday the twenty-first.They will fly out on the 6:50 AM Northwest flight out of Cleveland.I found that it is possible to take the 8:50 AM flight on Friday and be in Fairbanks approximately ninety minutes before the Zips tip off at six PM. The arena is just acouple of miles from the arena. That makes it a short cab ride.More details to follow when available.

Mr Go Zips,Could you tell the assembled multitude of Zippers if this tournament is scheduled to precede the game you have predicted in Seattle, vs the Gonzaga Bulldogs? If not, what is the approximate timetable for that game? Nov or Dec?from Honolulu to Fairbanks? Not in this lifetime my friend! Seattle in the fall/winter is bad enough.p.s.: Don't forget to kiss the ooglik! ;) Mahalo :D

Z.I.P. I hear a different scenario nearly every day. Certain well placed souls say "no way" and tomorrow they change to "it might happen". Talking about the Battle in Seattlehere, Folks. Seems that the only way we get to play Gonzaga this season is if we arewilling to participate in the Battle in Seattle. At least, this is the current understanding.I think that both coach Mark Few and coach Keith Dambrot want to play a game or seriesof games. The question is: what's the venue? As of now I am taking a wait and seeattitude. The recent mood in Zipstown is that the probability of playing is quite low.Z.I.P., the Top Of The World Classic opens the Zips season. That, too, is an evolvingtime frame. I received the Zips flight schedule today. I will publish it as soon as wehave a hotel confirmation or in a week if that is not forth coming.Looks like the Zips fly in on the fourteenth and depart on the nineteenth. The threegames Akron plays are on the 16th, 17th, and 18th. Or, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.For those who asked about why some teams play on Thursday and others not until Fridaythat is because the East coast teams have much further to travel. All the teams willarrive on the fourteenth. The eastern teams get a chance to sync up their body clocks.

• 4 weeks later...