On YSU....hang with me on this one...

Click to see UA offered YSU $125,000 to play at the Rubber Bowl...and YSU declinedThat's fine if it is smart business for YSU. But if a YSU fan grouses that the Zips at somehow "afraid" to play the Zips, here is proof in their own paper that it is not true.If you're one of those people that thinks the Zips should be playing 1-AA football CLICK ME to see the pile of crap you could be watching this fall. :puke: Hey, it's the summer and things are slow...why not club a Penguin during lunch? :chair:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CK.............At least they've got 7 SATURDAY home games..............that's more than we've had in the past 2 seasons.  :john:
I'd rather hit the ballet or tour the ACME cardboard Box Factory for 7 Saturdays than watch that tripe.We could get 7 game too, if we wanted to be gutless and bring in Howard and Cal Poly instead of going to UConn and Indiana.

I'm well aware that Akron offered us a game; but at the same time, what makes more since?Getting paid $650,000 for playing Ohio St; or $125,000 for Akron. The 650k is a big boost for our Athletic Dept. and helps us pay for some quality non-conference games each year.2009 right now is open for a I-A Game; maybe then we can get it on the schedule; but again: our AD has said if they want to benefit from us bring 10,000 fans across I-76; then the least they could do is come to our place and play a game. Sure it may be against league rules; but hell you guys did it back in the 90s, so why not now?It's now like Stambaugh is any smaller, its BIGGER: 21,000 seats would be packed for that game!BTW: Where is the Spindicator Link??

I think it's funny how the YSU Athletic Director makes it sound like they would be doing us a favor by playing us by saying "The only way we would resume playing Akron and Can't would be on a home-and-home basis..." Like we would bow down to them. Give me a freaking break! :iws:

I think it's funny how the YSU Athletic Director makes it sound like they would be doing us a favor by playing us by saying "The only way we would resume playing Akron and Can't would be on a home-and-home basis..." Like we would bow down to them. Give me a freaking break! :iws:
Hmm...sounds kinda like what KD has been trying to do with the basketball team. Should any of the "big boys" bow down to Akron?

I think it's funny how the YSU Athletic Director makes it sound like they would be doing us a favor by playing us by saying "The only way we would resume playing Akron and Can't would be on a home-and-home basis..."  Like we would bow down to them. Give me a freaking break! :iws:
Hmm...sounds kinda like what KD has been trying to do with the basketball team. Should any of the "big boys" bow down to Akron?
It's different. We are DI-A and KD as well as JD are trying to schedule equal games with other D-IA schools. YSU is DI-AA so they are a level below us.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_TirePerhaps you will understand what an annual rivalry actually is. I couldn't help it we beat you guys 3 straight years when we were a Perennial Power of the IAA; like we are becoming once again with a pre-season #4 ranking.How is it bad of us to turn you guys down if you can't come to Youngstown and play in front of a packed house; something we can guarentee. It's not like Stambaugh is ugly, we got 32 loges which are sold out every single year, how many do you have? We have a stunning Stadium Club and press box facility.Listen, I understand why you don't want to come to Youngstown and play; but try to look at it from the POV of a Penguin Fan. We know damn well you SHOULD BEAT US; but we want to restore a tradition which you guys chose to STOP.

eguin:What about all that crap you were flinging about US not wanting to play YOU?What a bunch of bull.And as another poster pointed out with actual figures...you overstate your home attendance....by A LOT.Packed house...yeah, right.Nothing but Penguin Poop! :lol::lol::lol:

we want to restore a tradition which you guys chose to STOP.
In 1995 we chose to stop the annal game, but the landscape of college football has changed a lot in the past 12 years. While UConn, Boise State, Marshall, Central Florida, Troy, MTSU and many others have sacked-up to be D1-A, YSU has decided to stay 1-AA. We offered you $125,000 to play and you turned it down. Now it is YSU who has elected not to renew the rivalry.Sack up and move to D1-A, and you'll get your home/home series. Until then, keep pounding your chest...and playing the Clarion's, Slippery Rock's and Lock Haven's of the world. :P

I don't over exaggerate the ticket sales... For instance this shot was taken from last year when we played the Northern Iowa Panthers, a team which has beaten us 6 straight years in a row. Attendance: 19,000----you see those empty seats at the top, that is an accurate attendance is it not?n49101616302704192076ij2.jpgAnd boy we'd love to move up to the I-A and the MAC, but it's funny that some schools nearby would rather see a team from Buffalo or West Virginia in it over Youngstown.

eguins writes:How is it bad of us to turn you guys down if you can't come to Youngstown and play in front of a packed house; something we can guarentee. It's not like Stambaugh is ugly, we got 32 loges which are sold out every single year, how many do you have? We have a stunning Stadium Club and press box facility.According to the article posted by CK, Akron and Can't cannot play a home and home with a 1AA school. Apparently it is against MAC member rules. Here is the most important quote from that article:"The only way we would resume playing Akron and Can't would be on a home-and-home basis and their conference rules do not allow them to play away games at a non-I-A opponent," Strollo said.So there is the answer to why we will not play you at Stambaugh eguins. It has nothing to do with pride and everythiing to do with conferene rules. If you want a home and home game, your school is going to have to make the jump to 1-A. Do that, and we'll gladly play you guys every year. Remain in the Bush league and you can forget about us ever coming to your place.

I don't over exaggerate the ticket sales... For instance this shot was taken from last year when we played the Northern Iowa Panthers, a team which has beaten us 6 straight years in a row. Attendance: 19,000----you see those empty seats at the top, that is an accurate attendance is it not?And boy we'd love to move up to the I-A and the MAC, but it's funny that some schools nearby would rather see a team from Buffalo or West Virginia in it over Youngstown.
Sell it somewhere else...I am not impressed. I'm so tired of this YSU bitching.whine whine whine

I don't over exaggerate the ticket sales... For instance this shot was taken from last year when we played the Northern Iowa Panthers, a team which has beaten us 6 straight years in a row. Attendance: 19,000----you see those empty seats at the top, that is an accurate attendance is it not?And boy we'd love to move up to the I-A and the MAC, but it's funny that some schools nearby would rather see a team from Buffalo or West Virginia in it over Youngstown.
Sell it somewhere else...I am not impressed. I'm so tired of this YSU bitching.whine whine whine
I'm not whining, I'm just posting the beliefs of so many YSU fans.... I am happy where we are right now as a perennial power in the I-AA Ranks. We are a solid program under a solid coach and have one of the nicest I-AA Stadiums in the USA.

As someone that was around at the time that rivalry ceased, it was my recollection that we did it because there was nothing to gain by beating Youngstown. We were 1-A, and they were 1-AA. Although, that same situation still exists, so I am not quite sure why we decided to try to renew the rivalry now.I'm still puzzled as to why Youngstown turned down $125,000. I'm sure they don't get that kind of money to play their normal road games against opponents with names like Northeast Minnesota State Technical College.

As someone that was around at the time that rivalry ceased, it was my recollection that we did it because there was nothing to gain by beating Youngstown. We were 1-A, and they were 1-AA. Although, that same situation still exists, so I am not quite sure why we decided to try to renew the rivalry now.I'm still puzzled as to why Youngstown turned down $125,000. I'm sure they don't get that kind of money to play their normal road games against opponents with names like Northeast Minnesota State Technical College.
We never have played a NW Minnesota State or anything of that nature.... Again we turned you down because we are getting $650,000 from OSU to play us this year and next year. In 2010 we are getting $350,000 to play Penn St.2009 is open as of now! SO MAYBE WE CAN PLAY YOU THEN!

I just think it's a dirty rotten shame that YSU won't play us.We'd like to play for the ugliest trophy in college football again, but it's their need for $$ that is getting in the way of rekindling this storied rivalry.I'd also like to see them in the MAC too, however, they just won't make the commitment for a Div. IA program.Seems to me that they should look in the mirror instead of whining and blaming other schools as to why they won't play us. :rolleyes::rolleyes: