Stadium Press Conference

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just called the U of A athletic department and was told that the press conference in the ballroom of the Student Union would begin no earlier than 11:30AM and could begin a bit later than that if the board meeting runs long. The press conference is open to the public and those planning to attend should park in the parking deck closest to route 8 (due east of the JAR). For those of you who can't attend in person, click HERE to go to the U of A Live Event Webcast of the press conference. I don't believe the webcast is password protected but I don't know for sure.The Board of Trustees meeting is also available LIVE ON THE WEB.

I'm in the student Union right now. Lots of important people everywhere. MAC officials, the usual UA people, and suprisingly few press members. I was hoping for this to at least be in the ABJ and the Plain Dealer, maybe the Repository if we're lucky, and possibly one news station other than Channel 3 (they seem like the only station to cover us regularly). Hopefully I just haven't seen them yet. I'll try to keep you updated on what's going on if I can.

Details from the Flyer they are handing out. Not much new, but here it is anyways.University of Akron On-Campus Football Facility InformationInfocision Stadium - Summa Field

• 30,000 capacity when including standing room only
  • Synthetic playing surface
  • $55 million for the facility
  • construction starts in October
  • Kentucky will be the first team we play there on September 12, 2009
  • 486 Club seats
  • 172 loge seats
  • 16 suits
  • State of the art scoreboard w/ video
  • 21 heated restrooms
  • ten concession stands (5 on each side)
  • two team shops
  • 3 ticket locations
  • 7-story press box
  • Elevators
  • Lights are "beyond the seating area"
  • 10,000 parking spaces within walking distance

Listening to Mack Rhoades talk to Steve French on the way back from there, he mentioned that you can call the Athletic Office to donate and that there will be a website that will track the progress of the stadium. Only problem is that he never mentioned what the Athletic Office's phone number was or what the website URL is. I know today is a busy day for him, but come on. If you want donations, at least tell people where to go to donate.Other than that, everything was great. The whole event was awesome, and really has me excited. 2 years. That's it. Just two years. :rock: