Captain's Log

Captain Kangaroo

Non-game stuff:

Beautiful night for a game. Perfect weather.

Can't parking was no problem, despite their web site warnings. PLENTY of parking everywhere. And, it was all free!! If I'm a Can't student I'm pissed about that. 8,000 cars x $3.00 ea is $24,000 that could have gone towards the University, and not be taken out of their pockets. However, I'm not a Can't student...so I'll take it! ;)

Can't tailgating was fine. If you kept your beer in a cup...no hassles.

LOTS of Zips fans at the game (7-8K?). Tons of loud Akron students having a blast! That was really heartening to see.

GREAT hospitality tent put on by the Zips Marketing group! First class!!

Beer sales IN the stadium! $2.00 per cup, and it could be brought into the stands! No one seemed to abuse it. Kudos to Can't for doing someting like that in this era. Took some balls.

Can't has to be one of the last schools with the old painted-steel-wool astro-turf. Get with the times!

Can't stadium lighting was awesome...it was light daylight in there the entire game. Nice to sit on aluminum bleachers instead of that painted fiberglass crap we've sat on in the Rubber Bowl for decades.

Nice fireworks at game's end. By the time they were over the traffic was gone and it was a smooth ride back home.

Game stuff:

Great to see Bobby Gardner whooping it up with the team as they came on to the field. The team was P-U-M-P-E-D!

Gritty game by Frye. I can't bowl a bowling ball if I cut my finger nails to close to the skin...but he can toss a 40 yard TD pass with a dislocated pinky on his throwing hand? He is something else...

Great job by the defense!!! Tight coverage by Corner and Pace all game. Defensive line put pressure on Cribbs all game! Great up-the-middle blitz packages!

Rohr played great...good to see he's getting more reps. Cam Yeow had a great game at LB too.

If you look at MTSU and Can't...comparable teams to the Zips...our defense has been great over 6 quarters. The first 2 quarters against MTSU weren't too good.

The OL looks real bad...both pass and run blocking. They did play a little better in the 2nd half, but I'm not a good enough observer to know why.

Biggs could be a good one...if he ever gets some holes to run through.

Hixson is starting to remind me of Matt Cherry a bit.

Where was Jabari? Other than that big pass up the sidelines, I didn't see him much.

Great to see the band and the team belt-out the fight song at game's end! That's what it's all about! :cheers:

Cribbs is an awesome athlete. Comparisons to him and Michael Vick are justified. Its tough to appreciate him because you want to beat the guy so bad...but he's probably the most elusive guy I've ever seen.

Great to see Tim Wilkes with the big 4th and 16 sack in the 4th quarter. We need a DL to start doing that stuff!

Nice job by Swiger! I hope the pre-UCONN Swiger is back!

Billy Sullivan led a charmed life. Not his best punting night, but he got all the good bounces on his bad punts.

Our punt coverage continues to struggle. Something's gotta get fixed.

Duane LeFall...where are you?

Earl is a punishing hitter. Yeah he needs to wrap up...but he's the hardest hitter on the D, by far.

Good to see JD get the Gatorade Shower after the game!

Three flushbacks:

1.) 2004 4th Quarter: The Can't game about 5 years ago...we were up something like 41-7 in the 4th quarter when Jose Davis went off. We won 41-35(?) recovering an onside kick with 20-something seconds left...even though a Can't player emerged with the ball.

2.) Maybe 7 years ago: Can't goes for a 4th and 1 on the Can't 29. They didn't need to do that. Zips stuff them and Butchie leads us to victory from there. I thought about that play when Martin went for the 4th and goal from the 2. He didn't need to do that...pretty stupid move.

3.) UCONN 2003: Now I know how UCONN fans felt watching Swiger shank away. Thanks to Travis Mayle! Note: We didn't win that game beause of the missed kicks. It sure helped...but we led the entire game. And it took an amazing Hail Mary to get Can't within 4 points at games end.

Great night! Thanks to all the Zips fans that showed up...hell...great turnout by the much-maligned Can't fans!! Made for a great atmosphere! Great job by the Zips' Marketing crew, students and band!! And most of all, great job by the guys on the field! Based upon which of the knowledgeable local scribes you listen too...we were between 7 and 21 point underdogs. The games was the most pivotal in some time...and you guys led from start to finish! Awesome!

Great post. thanks for your insight and game reporting for those of us who could not be there. I am most puzzled about the play of the OL. Where are the answers?

Different subject: did anyone watch NIU destroy BG last night? Wow !

:cheers:

There were a lot of great posts regarding the Can't game. Great job by all.

NIU looks damn good...are they as good as...say...Penn State? They're up next for the Zips. Scary game.

Guest ***GUEST_racer

i agree .the niu game looks like a tuff road ahead. after that we have three winable games. after watching psu and wisc the arkon offense did nothing to prepare psu for what was coming at them at wisconsin. nothing against mr biggs but the wisconsin rb was alomst 100 lbs heavier than mr bigss,scary thought to have a 270 rb coming at you. psu lost both starting qb's ;so the game was hard to judge. go akron.

:unsure:

I have just a couple of off-the-cusp, and possibly off-the-wall comments to make from out in the vast Pacific.

How long has Can't State been wearing those horrific uniforms?? They should have a sponsorship deal with French's (the mustard, not the announcer).

I watched the Miami-Houston game that started 30 minutes after the Wagon Wheel, and not ONCE did I see ESPN show the score of Akron-Can't. You would have thought there was only one game that night.

I just hope what made Can't look so bad, Akron is somehow able to make happen again, cause otherwise I can't see more than three wins this year. But the building blocks are fitting into place. The biggest day of the year will be next February on national LOI day. This is our team, don't lose faith. Be patient and good things will come. :thumb: