Irish Sport in Akron

Allyn Street alum

Our Irish sporting club, placed 2nd , in Dublin, Ohio against Indianapolis All Stars, Indianapolis "A" team, and Purdue University. It's time Akron University had a team, or is it a bit too much, or are ya soft. The sport of hurling is Ireland's National sport. I don't need the comments about throwin up. It would go to show how you may be limited to knowledge of world sports other than American sports. It's time Akron University had a team. I am willing to give videos, training and guidence to start this. It's a very demanding sport, very fast. Below are links to "YouTube" to show the sport. You don't have to be big, muscular, or tall to play. Just a bit of courage. links to videos on the sport-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCYtwFJ0cAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgH_RcYqBQYFor information 330-773-8437or e-mail me

interesting.... at first it looked to me like polo without the horses....but really, it seems like the main point is that you are allowed to use your hands to CATCH or CARRY the ball, but you cannot THROW with the hands, you must use the hurler (sp?). Everything else is pretty generic FIELD SPORT with goals.

Hey .. what happened to your website? wasn't it "akronceltic.com?"When I go there now .. it seems it's no longer there.Are there anymore weekend matches this summer?
The web site tripled as to the cost, we are working on another WE had a tournament at the Dublin, Ohio Irish fest 3 weeks ago, we came in 2nd out of 4 teams. Pictures are posted here from the event, Akron is in the green jerseys--http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsphotosite...57601294265333/Notre Dame, yes that Notre Dame have dodged us 3 times for scheduled matches. Purdue has a great program, Loyola too. We are trying to get Purdue here in October for a match. Then afterwards, a party at the Akron Hibernians at the end of Brown St near Waterloo road. Acroos from the e-check and post office ..That is our home pub. Our scrimmage season goes until it snows. Erie Island School field, off Copley road , right next to the rt 77 expressway, behind the county building. 1pm Sundays. Come , we will prepair you to be a Celtic Warrior, the team welcomes anyone with the heart and spirit to win. The sport will grow on you. Paddy Taylor 330-773-8437

interesting.... at first it looked to me like polo without the horses....but really, it seems like the main point is that you are allowed to use your hands to CATCH or CARRY the ball, but you cannot THROW with the hands, you must use the hurler (sp?). Everything else is pretty generic FIELD SPORT with goals.
Generic ? you get your arse on the pitch, give it a go, no Nancies need apply, the rugby club in Akron think WE are the crazy ones, they are our buddies, they respect the organized violence that may happen, BUT, we teach safety, and how to protect yourself first......give it a try, it's anything but generic, it's Gaelic, from 3,000 years ago.....Paddy

Ummm .. yeah .. I don't think I'd call this generic.I've had the opportunity to see some hurling matches in person .. and it's awesome. I'd say it blows any sport away as far as the toughness required to be good at it. VERY cool stuff. And when you see it over in the Republic .. there's no pansy helmets or anything .. they're just out there going at it w/ the hurlie & sliotar.I will one day get down there .. and I want my boy to grow up playing this game too .. have to find a way to fit it in.

• 16 years later...

@Zip Watcher@zen@RootforRoo44

Hello! So I’m pretty sure @Allyn Street alum is my Father. (He’s unfortunately very sick in Hospice) but we still have a hurling club! Akron Celtic Guards Hurling and Camogie Club

We’re still looking for members - I myself graduated from U of Akron back in 2014 and had tried to start a club back then, but the club sports office referred me to the city club. Haha. 

Please reach out if you’re interested!

@Blue & Gold It’s very much a fun sport - we have weekly practices, for Adult (Co-ed) and a youth development team as well. You’d be very welcomed to watch a match, or be involved in any capacity. 

@Captain Kangaroo Ha, yeah. I apologize for the necrobump - I came across it looking for digital tracks from my Dad to piece together some things for the obituary and stumbled upon this. Love he even included our old home phone number. 

• Like 1