This doesn't look good

zipsbandman

I was on Miami's athletics site and I was reading an article from Miami's AD practically pleading for fans to attend tonight's game with Toledo. At first, I thought that all this talk about attendance requirements would never fly, but the athletic departments at the universities seem to think otherwise. He even mentions the attendance requirement in the article. Anyone find it funny how Akron is tossing out FREE tickets to the Marshall game? They are seriously going to need about 30k at this game to get us even close to pulling this off. Seems like our athletic department is desperate to me.

This new rule is stupid and wrong. If a school has the resources and comittment to fund a D-1A program, then let them. Here at Akron, we are on the brink of creating something special, and the NCAA wants to knock us down. I hope they get stormed with lawsuits and problems because this is really stupid.

I was on Miami's athletics site and I was reading an article from Miami's AD practically pleading for fans to attend tonight's game with Toledo. At first, I thought that all this talk about attendance requirements would never fly, but the athletic departments at the universities seem to think otherwise. He even mentions the attendance requirement in the article. Anyone find it funny how Akron is tossing out FREE tickets to the Marshall game? They are seriously going to need about 30k at this game to get us even close to pulling this off. Seems like our athletic department is desperate to me.

This new rule is stupid and wrong. If a school has the resources and comittment to fund a D-1A program, then let them. Here at Akron, we are on the brink of creating something special, and the NCAA wants to knock us down. I hope they get stormed with lawsuits and problems because this is really stupid.

I think the AD's have to take the 15k "quasi-rule" seriously. However, I can't see any way it will stand up in court. Miami...and just about ever other MAC team will face this problem every November if the rule stood as-is. But, it won't.

Regarding the Zips game...the reason for free tix is two-fold.

1.) The 15k "quasi-rule" must be addressed

2.) This game is a 3 1/2 hour commercial for Zips football and The University of Akron. If the Zips go out and win, the highlights will be on Sportscenter nation wide. A full Rubber Bowl will look awesome on national TV. JD and company can sell that hard to recruits.

A half-empty Rubber Bowl would be catastrophic from an image point of view. Without handing out freebies, there's little chance of a full Rubber Bowl. 17k is probably the best case...6 k of those being Marshall fans.

We'll probably lose $100,000 in cash for the Marshall game, combining the loss in ticket revenue (freebies vs. bought tix...and those 6k Marshall fans would have bought tix...plus the $75,000 for light removal/replacement. However, it it money well spent from an advertising point of view. That is IF...I repeat...IF we take advantage of it and pull out a win.

Guest ***GUEST_zipsrifle

Cap'n hit the nail on the head. This is much more about National perception/exposure than the attendence rule. We need a good showing here for JD to get some recruits. I wonder how many will be in the house Friday, assuming they aren't playing in a playoff somewhere.

To meet the rule, we need 75,000 total for the year. Right now we've got 32,221. So, over the next two games we need to come up with 42,779 fans. That is a pretty big number. :blink: I think the only way we meet it is if we knock off Marshall on Friday. That will make the Miami game just as big as this one. If we lose on Friday, I think we're going to be on probation next year. :(

We'll probably lose $100,000 in cash for the Marshall game, combining the loss in ticket revenue (freebies vs. bought tix...and those 6k Marshall fans would have bought tix...plus the $75,000 for light removal/replacement. However, it it money well spent from an advertising point of view. That is IF...I repeat...IF we take advantage of it and pull out a win.

I don't think money has anything to do with UA football right now, or in the past. I have a hard time believing that UA has turned many profits at the Rubber Bowl over the past 10 years. Why do you think the students get in for free? Their tuition pays the Athletic Dept. bill. That brings up another question. What happens if the game sells out? How will they know? You can't go by ticket sales since students get in free. They do have the people with the clickers at the entrances, but I have a hard time believing that they communicate well enough to tell that the game is a sellout. My guess is that they don't know till late in the 3rd Quarter. Well, only one way to find out.

Guest REDhawkSTEVE

Don't get too down on Miami's AD - he is just trying to make the best of a bad date tonight. Our folks have dropped 120,000 free tickets in the Cincinnati market hoping for election overload driving people out. Too bad the rain is in the air or we could have had a nice crowd.