The Unofficial Akron/Marshall Game Thread

Captain Kangaroo

Random thoughts to pass the lunch break:

* Does JD have a trick play in his playbook? Fake punt/FG...onside kick...reverse...Statue of Liberty...hood and ladder...fumblerooskie...WR or RB pass? I don't think I've seen one all season? Friday would be a good night to let and tricks out of the bag. Will he?

* Although the weather is supposed to be cold (40 deg at gametime) I still expect 20K+

* Why is it so f-ing difficult to find out how injured Jabari really is?

* Marshall fans make a big deal out of Goddard. If Biggs gets things rolling, I think that greatly diminishes Goddard's pass rush ability.

* Can Biggs keep things rolling vs. the MAC's #1 defense?

* Marshall's wide outs have always had great size, speed...and bad hands. Ok, Moss could hold onto the ball, but in other games I've seen it has been a problem. Wonder how this year's crop of WR's is?

* Marshall's 3-point loss to OSU isn't that impressive anymore. The loss to Troy doesn't seem that bad, and their loss to Georgia is questionable...Georgia is a team that tends to overlook allegedly "lesser" opponents with regularity.

* Regardless of the strength of schedule, the Zips recent run is impressive. Seems like we're up to playing 3 1/2 quarters of solid football now? Hope the week off alows us to work on that final 1/2 quarter...which is essentially controlling the ball on offense in the 4th quarter.

* How nice did "Akron 4-1 MAC 4-4 overall" MAC East Standings info look on the screen last night during the ESPN game? Looked a hell of a lot better than the 1-5's directly beneath them!

* Does Frye have it in him to seize the moment tomorrow night? What separates him for the Leftwich's, Roethlisberger's and Pennington's of the MAC is "big wins." This would be bigger than the last Marshall game because, obviously, there's a championship on the line.

* I love the screen to Biggs with the OL's leading the charge downfield. Hope I see it several times Friday.

* What do you think I can get for my season tickets if I try to scalp them Friday? I'm guessing 25 cents. Oh well..it goes to a good cause.

* I'll be in the tailgate lot (along the fence) at 2:00pm. Look for Zippy on a Stick. Anyone is welcome to stop over...even Marshall fans. :cheers:

* Does JD have the guts to put the ball in Ringer's hands for 5-7 carries? If not, do we even have a second back to spell Biggs? BTW: Biggs/Kennedy combo should be awesome next year!

* Marshall's OL was allegedly "10 deep" to start the season. They haven't lived up to the billing. Can the Zips Sack Exchange (Street) keep up the torrid sack pace vs. these guys?

* How many camera's will ESPN use? I hope it is like last night's MAC game. They showed all of the stands, and had some nice close ups.

* If it comes down to a field goal...can Swiger sack-up and hit it?

* Will the Zips WR's do a better job of coming back to #5 if he's got heavy pressure?

My prediction: Zips 27 Marshall 24. I think Biggs will continue his 150 yd / game pace, which will loosen up the CB coverage...which will free Frye to toss for 280 yds + a couple TD's. This is #5's time to shine. :thumb:

Guest Mastodon
My prediction: Zips 27 Marshall 24. I think Biggs will continue his 150 yd / game pace, which will loosen up the CB coverage...which will free Frye to toss for 280 yds + a couple TD's. This is #5's time to shine.

There is no way Biggs runs for 150 yards and Frye throws for 280! Biggs has had good games only against some of the crappiest defenses in the MAC! And the only time Frye did better than 280 was against MTSU. Although UCF sucks we held them to 3 yards total in the 2nd half. I will wager that if our offense doesn't give up points Marshall will hold the zips to under 20.

How many guys do you plan to put on Goddard?

Marshall 26, Akron 14 (Goddard scores a TD, Safety, and FG)

009.jpg

Guest Mastodon

Nov. 1, 2004 East Division players of the week

Defense - Chris Royal, Marshall, defensive back

(Jr., Herndon, Va.)

Royal broke open a 0-0 game midway through the second quarter with a 38-yard interception return for a touchdown to spark the Herd's 20-3 win over UCF. For Royal it was his national leading sixth interception of the season. Royal also recorded four tackles and helped lead a defensive effort that held UCF to three yards of total offense in the second half.

Special Teams - Ian O'Connor, Marshall, placekicker/punter

(So., Knoxville, Tenn.)

O'Connor booted two field goals on two attempts in windy conditions, one from 49 yards and another from 28 yards, in the Herd's 20-3 win over UCF. O'Connor also handled the team's punting and kickoff duties. His five punts averaged 43.2 yards with two of them going inside the UCF 20-yard line. He also added two PATs.

Nov. 1, 2004 East Division players of the week

Defense - Chris Royal, Marshall, defensive back

(Jr., Herndon, Va.)

Royal broke open a 0-0 game midway through the second quarter with a 38-yard interception return for a touchdown to spark the Herd's 20-3 win over UCF. For Royal it was his national leading sixth interception of the season. Royal also recorded four tackles and helped lead a defensive effort that held UCF to three yards of total offense in the second half.

Special Teams - Ian O'Connor, Marshall, placekicker/punter

(So., Knoxville, Tenn.)

O'Connor booted two field goals on two attempts in windy conditions, one from 49 yards and another from 28 yards, in the Herd's 20-3 win over UCF. O'Connor also handled the team's punting and kickoff duties. His five punts averaged 43.2 yards with two of them going inside the UCF 20-yard line. He also added two PATs.

1.) Who's team doesn't get a few "Players of the Week" when they play UCF?!

2.) Your offense only put up 13 points against UCF? Holy mackeral...we had that before the band finished the National Anthem!

Griz will have his hands full against the Sack Monster. Last year 78 did a decent job of containing him. I think Griz is up to the challenge.

The turd are overrated and their 3 point loss to the Pukeeyes is almost a joke compared to what that crappy team has done in the past 5 weeks.

I agree with the Captain's prediction.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

* How nice did "Akron 4-1 MAC  4-4 overall" MAC East Standings info look on the screen last night during the ESPN game? Looked a hell of a lot better than the 1-5's directly beneath them!

* If it comes down to a field goal...can Swiger sack-up and hit it?

My sentiments exactly ! I saw a little bit of the game last night but not all of it. Did they promo the Zips/Marshall matchup at all, esp. Charlie? I'd think Marshall in itself will garner a pretty good TV audience and if they played up Frye as a high draft/NFL prospect that would help a lot too...people will want to check out the next Roethlisberger. We need to put on a good game Fri. night while the lights are on us and I think we will. It very well could come down to Swiger and could go either way but I have confidence in him.

Does anyone find it interesting we are allowed to use temporary off-field lights for this game? How in the world does that cost $75,000?

Go Zips !

Guest Mastodon
The turd are overrated and their 3 point loss to the Pukeeyes is almost a joke compared to what that crappy team has done in the past 5 weeks.

Marshall lost by 3 to a 5-3 Big Ten team (respectable)

Akron lost by 38 to a 2-6 Big Ten team (embarrassing)

BTW, didn't Ohio State just beat Penn State? :iws: Anybody want to further debate this topic?

Griz will have his hands full against the Sack Monster.  Last year 78 did a decent job of containing him.  I think Griz is up to the challenge.

Griz is over a half a foot taller than little 5'11" Johnny. :nutkick:

He outweighs the poor little guy by 70lbs. Doesn't seem fair to me?

Zips 28 Terd 19

----------------------------------------------------

Ticket to game Free

Parking $3.00

Watching the Zips beat Marshall AGAIN...Priceless.

Up Next...Sportscenter

.....E_nvy

Zip.S

.....P lay

.Co N ference USA

Guest Mastodon
1.) Who's team doesn't get a few "Players of the Week" when they play UCF?!

2.) Your offense only put up 13 points against UCF? Holy mackeral...

1.) When was the last time Akron had two winners in one week? This is at least MU's 2nd time :wave:

2.) Yeah, our offense stinks at times but we didn't need to score a lot to win. We could have played our defense the entire game and won. :lol: A few breaks go our way and the score would have been 27-0 or better. But it doesn't matter cause we dominated the game.

I will officially quit posting on here until the game is over (unless someone posts something completely ridiculous :thumb: ). I've caused enough mayhem!!

Cheers and may the best team win (MU) :cheers:

Marshall lost by 3 to a 5-3 Big Ten team (respectable)

Akron lost by 38 to a 2-6 Big Ten team (embarrassing)

BTW, didn't Ohio State just beat Penn State? :iws: Anybody want to further debate this topic?

Good arguement...IF teams didn't improve over the course of a season.

Zips of November are much improved over the Zips of September. Marshall...they scored 13 offensive points vs. UCF in October...while putting up 21 vs OSU in September. Herd doesn't seem to be improving? :unsure:

I wish we played Penn State in November. :rolltide: (the guy in front is JoePa, and the guy in back is JD)

Oh well...maybe we can play Ohio State in the Motor City Bowl! :rock:

Zips of November are much improved over the Zips of September. Marshall...they scored 13 offensive points vs. UCF in October...while putting up 21 vs OSU in September. Herd doesn't seem to be improving? 

Hummmm, lets see start out at 0-3 and then go 5 - 0 in the last 5 games....gee, I guess you are right, we must not be improving at all.

:iws:

Guest mollautt

=>mrherd05,

You really must try the caviar here. JP has it flown in from Russia.

As for your 0-3 then 5-0 argument, my response is this: Marshall lost 3 races to Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis, and Bruce Jenner. Marshall then enters the Special Olympics (including my beloved Redhawks) and has won 5 straight sprints. That does not mean da herdiban are improving.

* Marshall's 3-point loss to OSU isn't that impressive anymore. The loss to Troy doesn't seem that bad, and their loss to Georgia is questionable...Georgia is a team that tends to overlook allegedly "lesser" opponents with regularity

But Mollaut, my find feathered friend, according to these yahoos, we started the season in the special olympics as well

Zips will go as far as the OLine takes them. As CK said above, we need to control the ball and the clock. 4th quarter 2 years ago you knew that Hendry was going to get it everytime. It did not matter. OLine just knocked them off the ball. Run right at Goddard, you gotta run at speed.

Biggs plays the whole game. I don't see Jerrell getting a carry. Akron has had 2 weeks to prepare, gotta go with the horses.

I wonder how much Rick Chryst is praying for a Zip win. NIU has taken over the banner as one of the best programs in the league. A Zip win helps the program finally take off. With the size of the surrounding area, a winning program will consistently draw 20K+.

Going to pop in the old VCR the game from 2 years ago. Come on Zips, get it done. We want columbus state in the Motor City Bowl!

Guest Roo Poacher

I can't believe we're hearing smack from a team whose 4 wins are over teams that have a combined record of 4-29.

If you take the 3 games against common opponents (KS, UCF, UB), we've outscored them 2-1 over the Skippys. You've given up 3 times more points to the bottom feeders and scored only 7 more points than our struggling offense. I repeat: YOU'VE SCORED ONLY SEVEN MORE POINTS THAN OUR STRUGGLING OFFENSE.

Let me give you a hint about that last statement. Our offense can't score on our defense in practice. You'll be lucky if you do. This will be the best defense you'll face all season (including your whitewashing by UVA).

Final Score: Marshall 17 Roos ZIP! :rolltide:

Guest the herd rep.

zip fans can talk themselves up all day, and badmouth the best program in the conference (How many mac titles have we won in the last 7 years?) the fact remains, our defense is ranked #13 in the nation and goddard is a lombardi award finalist. Eventhough our offense has been sluggish i say we eeek this one out 27 - 10