AD Leaving?

zippy42

Just curious Lee, what's your solution. :wave:
As far as the coach is concerned, find somebody with a HEAD coaching resume...whether that is at I-AA or D-II,they ARE out there, especially with a new stadium coming...the AD? try to find somebody old enough to know who the hell Gordon Larson and Jim Dennison are...we have guys who are half MY age, well almost, running multi million dollar prgrams with a multi million dollar stadium coming who haven't found the MEN'S room at the D-I level. Don't tell me that UCONN,Central Florida, South Florida, Buffalo can get solid coaches and win in a reasonable amount of time. Hell OU got the head coach at Nebraska. I'd take my chances with that. Cincinnati got a solid OSU assitant and developed into a winner...
I completely disagree. And what the hell does age have to do with it? One of the most irritating things in sports is when teams just recycle retread coaches...I would take a good, young coordinator and give him a shot before I would rehire a guy like Solich. Ditto for the AD position. I want someone in with energy and new ideas.....not an old apathetic goob buying his time unil retirement......which means Dennison is not a candidate.....

As one who remembers Larson/Dennison era I have to agree in the most part w/Zipmeister, one exception-- Mike Waddell would be a GREAT replacement should Mac move on/out.With ball ammunition lock and loas, and of course :screwks:
If hiring an AD who wants to stay at Akron is the answer, Mike Waddell is not the person. Mike is a young guy who wants to move up just like everyone else his age. He would be another two and done AD.Believe me guys, Mike Waddell is not the same as Mike Thomas. Mike Thomas was a smart, thoughtful guy who seemed to be a cut above 90% of the people in college athletics. Mike Waddell was just like the other 90% who spends their days half working and half self promoting. You can put the other 90% in a bag, shake them up and they all come out together.

As far as the coach is concerned, find somebody with a HEAD coaching resume...whether that is at I-AA or D-II,they ARE out there, especially with a new stadium coming...the AD? try to find somebody old enough to know who the hell Gordon Larson and Jim Dennison are...we have guys who are half MY age, well almost, running multi million dollar prgrams with a multi million dollar stadium coming who haven't found the MEN'S room at the D-I level. Don't tell me that UCONN,Central Florida, South Florida, Buffalo can get solid coaches and win in a reasonable amount of time. Hell OU got the head coach at Nebraska. I'd take my chances with that. Cincinnati got a solid OSU assitant and developed into a winner...
What makes you think anyone would want the Akron job at what it pays? Jim Prye (sp?) left Akron after one year as offensive coordinator to go to Illinois and coach tight ends making more money than JD does. A new stadium isn't going to attract people. Tradition, ability to pay good assistants, fan commitment, etc. are better to attract candidates. We have none of those. Based upon what happened to Dennison, Faust and Owens after their time at Akron, the job is a complete dead end.The comment about age is silly. I have 13 employees who report directly to me and all of them are older than I am. Each of them thinks they are smarter than I am and none of them are. Just like Zips Win! points out, these guys have no new ideas and are riding out the string.........some are going to come to the end of the string before they thought they would when I get done in the next couple of months. Every time they try to prove how smart they are, I listen to them and then politely prove them wrong. Any study of any industry shows that the older someone gets, the less likely they are to take a risk. We need a home run hitter to come in here and hit some home runs. If a knucklehead like me can manage a $100,000,000 territory at 38, Mack or someone his age can manage a $10,000,000 Athletic Department. I just have an extra zero at the end of my number.

Were we to find ourselves in need of a new AD, which I don't think we will be anytime soon, there's only one guy I would pursue for the job:Keith DambrotBump him nicely and use the budget to add a senior asst AD to the mix to help with the workload. Is there anyone out there who has better ties to the U, with the U's best interest in mind? This would be an opportunity to demonstrate total committment to him .. and really stabilize the Athletic Department.

Were we to find ourselves in need of a new AD, which I don't think we will be anytime soon, there's only one guy I would pursue for the job:Keith DambrotBump him nicely and use the budget to add a senior asst AD to the mix to help with the workload. Is there anyone out there who has better ties to the U, with the U's best interest in mind? This would be an opportunity to demonstrate total committment to him .. and really stabilize the Athletic Department.
I love the idea! I would just hope he could still remain the head basketball coach while being committed to all the other aspects of the athletic department.

What a great suggestion!!!!!!I would trust KD to hire his replacement as bb coach. He has a good young staff. There are not enough hours in the day to be AD and head bb coach.

What a great suggestion!!!!!!I would trust KD to hire his replacement as bb coach. He has a good young staff. There are not enough hours in the day to be AD and head bb coach.
I should clarify this .. I would add staff at the senior assistant AD so that KD can continue as both Head Men's Hoops Coach, and AD. Sort of like Tressel was @ YSU during the second half of his time there. My suggestion is not that he be AD and not HC of MBB .. but that he be both.I really fear the day he is no longer our HC. I hope its about 20 years from now. Or more.

Some new information and confusion for me contained in your post Lee. For example, I didn't realize Turner Gill was a head coach before getting the Buffalo job. For what sport did Cincy hire an OSU assistant and become a winner?
Mark Dantonio, Tressell asst at OSU...went to Cincy got that program going again...those are HIS kids there now!!...yep dad gummit just like I knew Turner Gill had no Head coaching experience but a hell of a lot more credibility than jd looks like he is doing a preyyt good job with THE WORST program in the MAC if not D-I when he took over...

What makes you think anyone would want the Akron job at what it pays? Jim Prye (sp?) left Akron after one year as offensive coordinator to go to Illinois and coach tight ends making more money than JD does. A new stadium isn't going to attract people. Tradition, ability to pay good assistants, fan commitment, etc. are better to attract candidates. We have none of those. Based upon what happened to Dennison, Faust and Owens after their time at Akron, the job is a complete dead end.The comment about age is silly. I have 13 employees who report directly to me and all of them are older than I am. Each of them thinks they are smarter than I am and none of them are. Just like Zips Win! points out, these guys have no new ideas and are riding out the string.........some are going to come to the end of the string before they thought they would when I get done in the next couple of months. Every time they try to prove how smart they are, I listen to them and then politely prove them wrong. Any study of any industry shows that the older someone gets, the less likely they are to take a risk. We need a home run hitter to come in here and hit some home runs. If a knucklehead like me can manage a $100,000,000 territory at 38, Mack or someone his age can manage a $10,000,000 Athletic Department. I just have an extra zero at the end of my number.
YES you are right YOUR comment about age IS silly...I supervise 7 employees in a field that I dare say is more dangerous and challenging the MOST...I really do..ALL are YOUNGER than me..and my PERCEPTION at times is that they THINK they know more that I do...do they?...who knows?..one who is perceptive would have realized that it is NOT age but experience and CREDIBILITY...sometimes the longer you have been around the more ideas you have been exposed to,the more experience you have and maybe more credibility...but not always..if one assumes that because of the position they hold they have respect or credibility that person is a failure...OH money isn't the measure...do what I do..you'll see...any way...it wouldn't matter if Brookhart was 25 or 55...is he credible to the players and coaches he supervises? we will see...a Chinese proverb states that 'it is the truly wise man who knows his own ignorance'...

I too am shocked by the "fire the coach" talk going on. Also, the comments that JD is just trying to pad his resume at Akron are silly. WHO DOESN’T try to pad their resume!! Who doesn’t strive for greater pay, promotions and to live in their place of choice? If he wasn’t trying to working towards these things, he wouldn’t be worth having. If we want to restrict our coaching searches to locals and alum - the choices are going to be limited. We are lucky with K.D.For those of you wanting J.D's head - take a look at these numbers….20056-5 regular season record3-2 at home3-3 on the road6 of 11 games on the road4 of the first 6 games were on the roadMAC ChampsMCB20065-7 regular season record4-1 at home1-6 on the road 7 of 12 games on the road5 of the first 6 games on the road - including Penn State, N.C.State, Cincy20073-5 record so far2-1 at home1-4 on the road 7 of 12 games on the road4 of the first 6 games on the road - including Ohio State, Indiana and UConnTotals9-4 at home5-13 on the road13 of first 18 games played on the roadnearly 60% of games played on the roadThis isn’t a scenario to "Pad" you resume. Hell, you just try to survive without tarnishing your rep too much. I can’t see too many people thriving with this set up. We start the year with powerhouses, get beat up, never gain momentum and come back to discouraged fans. These schedules are suicide. We have got to reconsider whatever strategy this is.Bag all the high profile "money games" until we are ready. Start off at home and schedule some winnable games, everyone will have fun and allow the team to develop instead of heal.I said it before and I will say it again. We are lucky to have J.D. If Colorado State becomes available, how could you blame him for wanting to coach at his alma mater (like K.D.)? He made the decision to go there years ago for a good reason, why wouldn’t he want to return?

As one who remembers Larson/Dennison era I have to agree in the most part w/Zipmeister, one exception-- Mike Waddell would be a GREAT replacement should Mac move on/out.With ball ammunition lock and loas, and of course :screwks:
If hiring an AD who wants to stay at Akron is the answer, Mike Waddell is not the person. Mike is a young guy who wants to move up just like everyone else his age. He would be another two and done AD.Believe me guys, Mike Waddell is not the same as Mike Thomas. Mike Thomas was a smart, thoughtful guy who seemed to be a cut above 90% of the people in college athletics. Mike Waddell was just like the other 90% who spends their days half working and half self promoting. You can put the other 90% in a bag, shake them up and they all come out together.
I would agree Mike Waddell would move up the ladder and might not be the best choice for us. But for ANYONE to say he spent half his time here self-promoting is ludicrous. The guy worked his butt off for Akron. In very early, out late, and imho he completely changed the face of UA in our city. Nobody promoted the Zips the way he did, and in terms of hours worked, he might have been the most tireless worker of that whole administration. Be fair.

Who is the self promoter? :laugh_up: All AD's move up including Mike Thomas. You're the one person not wanting to be promoted? :wall: The stadium will attract more people and enable UA to award staff for success.
Tradition, ability to pay good assistants, fan commitment, etc. are better to attract candidates.
This part of your post I can agree with :cheers: , but the new stadium is an integral part of being able to accomplish this. Mike did great things for UA during his stay here. Your contempt for Mike W. is childish. :cry: Get over it!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, you are either a liar or you are not. Nick Saban was a liar. Butch Davis lied to a kid a week before he took the Browns job so the kid would not go pro. That shows the character of both of them to me. Another case in point. KD has said all along he wants to be at Akron forever. After the Miami game he said he may start looking around at some point, the snub pissed him off that much. He quickly back tracked that a few days later, but I find that honesty to be refreshing. A second case in point, after the NC State win last year, JD got asked in a conference about rumors of his name being mentioned for bigger jobs. He said something to the affect that he is focused on Akron and the season and changed the subject. You can get around an answer without lying.When rifle32 asked Mac, if he really is involved he could say something without really answering the question like that is nice to hear, but my focus is helping to build Akron right now and then change the subject. You either lie or you don't as far as I am concerned.

It has come to my attention from an incredibly reliable source that our Director of Athletics,Mack Rhoades has thrown his name in the hat for the AD job at Pitt. This is shocking becausethe guy has only been here for less than two years and basically hasn't done anything. Mike Thomas set up all of the stadium plans that hve been put into place. Would a Big East school really even grant this guy an interview? I hope Pitt talks to our head coaches first!!!
not happening. asked mack myself and he said no. i choose to believe him. :champs:
Do you really think Mac or any coach looking for another job is going to tell you or anybody else that they are actively pursuing job ops? No Way!
as an athlete i choose to believe that my ad would not lie about something like that point blank to my face. there is that possibility, but you're asking more out of me to think he's a lier than to believe what he says.