"Change is coming"

So we lose U of A?We lose Zippy?Essentially the school I attended will not exist. In that case, my contributions will cease to exist.
Where are you seeing this in the report? I looked through some of the documents and saw information about joint purchasing of electric and printing, joint internships, and a single application, but nothing about a potential merger. I don't see anyway a merger could be done with the Akron and CSU.

So we lose U of A?We lose Zippy?Essentially the school I attended will not exist. In that case, my contributions will cease to exist.
Where are you seeing this in the report? I looked through some of the documents and saw information about joint purchasing of electric and printing, joint internships, and a single application, but nothing about a potential merger. I don't see anyway a merger could be done with the Akron and CSU.
Here........"Schwartz, like Proenza, thinks the state's universities should be able to keep their own identities. One of the ideas being discussed is to call the merged schools the University of Northeast Ohio." I did not go to the UNO! That is a game I play with my kids.

Formation of Northeast Ohio Universities Cabinet

[Tactical, Immediate]

The Commission recommends the legislature form a Northeast Ohio Universities Cabinet,

consisting of the Board Chairs of each of the institutions, the President of each of the

institutions, and a Chairperson, preferably a regional leader with no formal association with

any of the member institutions, appointed by the Governor. This Cabinet should:

Provide oversight of the implementation of the Commission's recommendations,

providing an annual accountability report to the Governor, Legislature, and the

Chancellor.

Seek additional opportunities for collaboration and consolidation, so as to

increase access and excellence.

Pursue partnerships with business, education and government.

Create a structure for meetings of the Provosts, the CFO's and CIO's on a regular

basis.

The Cabinet should meet at least twice a year.

Once appointed, the Chair would convene the group.

If Fingerhut wants a dominate college in this region then why not just give it to Akron and let Can't join with CSU. Their initials wouldn't change (Can't State University CSU and Cleveland State University CSU, CSUCKS)But if this happens look on the bright side, we can get foam fingers that say we're number UNO!!!!!!I hate this idea and I hate to think about it. :mad_flame: :mad_flame: :screwks::champs::cheers:

Why is all the talk about UA and CSU? Why not Can't State and CSU or even CSU and YSU? A YSU and CSU merger would equal a University about the size of UA. If you really want to have UNO, merge all 4 Universities into one.I don't see why any merging has to take place at all. The big problem is the state doesn't give enough money to the Universities in Ohio now. Merging universities into larger universities won't save much, except for some administrative jobs. Also it makes no sense to me to merge any two Universities that are 30 or more miles apart. From that perspective maybe a UA-Can't State or BGSU-UT merger might make some -very little IMHO - sense. I am against any merging though, eliminating CSU makes the most sense to me. Those buildings can be used by Tri-C and any students who need to complete their degrees can go to UA, Can't State, or YSU.

Why is all the talk about UA and CSU? Why not Can't State and CSU or even CSU and YSU? A YSU and CSU merger would equal a University about the size of UA. If you really want to have UNO, merge all 4 Universities into one.I don't see why any merging has to take place at all. The big problem is the state doesn't give enough money to the Universities in Ohio now. Merging universities into larger universities won't save much, except for some administrative jobs. Also it makes no sense to me to merge any two Universities that are 30 or more miles apart. From that perspective maybe a UA-Can't State or BGSU-UT merger might make some -very little IMHO - sense. I am against any merging though, eliminating CSU makes the most sense to me. Those buildings can be used by Tri-C and any students who need to complete their degrees can go to UA, Can't State, or YSU.
You have to understand the political scene in Ohio to make sense of this train wreck. Strickland comes into office and appoints "give him the" Finger-Hut to re-invent the wheel. Then all the legislators in Columbus jump on the bandwagon because they haven't been able come up with a way to change the funding of public education that the Ohio Supreme Court has ruled unconstitutional more times than a rerun of Friends. :mad_flame::gun::mad_flame::gun::mad_flame:

I hate this idea and I hate to think about it. :mad_flame: :mad_flame:
I agree that most ideas regarding change sound negative right now, but I think that Akron does have a chance to be the dominate university of Northeast Ohio. I think the first step is bring NEOCOM into The University of Akron, similiar to the merger Toledo did two years ago. Allow Can't to take NEOCOM's campus and create a branch or community college with the existing campus. Next reduce Cleveland State to a joint run branch for Akron and Can't. They could allow the first two years toward a degree in Cleveland but students would finish their degrees on the main campuses of Akron or Can't. This would increase enrollment at both schools and expand the ability for research for Akron(med school).

Cleveland State "university" is a piece of crap. I HATE politicians ... ESPECIALLY the Fingerhut variety. INCREDIBLE urge to hurl right now. Screw you Fingerhut! :nutkick:
You guys probably thought I was some kindof reactionary alarmist or something, but I've been trying to tell you this since the issue first came up last year some time. This is nothing but politics. If there is one thing I know about politicians (actually two things) is that their only goals are to find ways to spend money that make them feel good or increase their power, and to find ways to waste money that make them look good in the eyes of voters. The ONE thing a politician cannot do is "nothing". They cannot leave well-enough alone. Even if government ever got tweak to 100% perfection, you would have a bunch of politicians running around like busy bees pretending something is broke because they are worried sick about how they are going to impress some voters if they aren't changing something.
That's just the point. It doesn't make any sense at all.And the whole "one big first class university" is complete sales pitch. It has nothing to do with anything!I would just love, for once, for someone to ask one of these jerks exactly how "merging" two universities that are over 20 miles apart is going to do anything different for those institutions or the students who attend them except to pool the statistics to make the university sound "bigger". Whoopidee Freakin' Dooo! You didn't move any buildings closer to each other.You didn't make things more accessable to students.You didn't make it more affordable.and most importantly, nothing changed to make it "first class" or "powerhouse" or whatever other bullshit you are selling.Politicians take resources and divvy them up according to politics, not by logic or by common sense, nor by any other plan except to either give themselves more power or to win more votes. The Cleveland area has more votes than Akron or Can't.CSU has the most to gain from a merger!... and UA has the most to take (in comparisson to Can't or some other school)So there you have it. There's your answer. The cannibalization of success.

Yes, Akron loses in a merger with CSU. Political muscle will win out. And then Can't will lose out.So, the only logical thing is an Akron-Can't merger. That would be a boon for the Akron area-- and create a potentially world-class institution, in a way that CSU-Akron just wouldn't--very little synergy in that, it's purely a power play by Cleveland to get more resources funneled into downtown. But Akron and Can't could really achieve something if they worked together.

OK - everybody simma down now, simma down..... The momentum appears to be in a direction similar to the UNC system or California; two states that, last time I looked, have economies centered on research and development which only would bode well for Ohio. Who do we play in BBall, UNC or UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Wilmington, etc.? I think the name game will tend toward Universities of NE Ohio - Akron or UNEO-Can't, Cleveland, etc. The "politicians" are trying to balance the needs of the business community which demands more efficiency and consolidation with the parochial traditions of independent campuses. The process needs to continue to be open, public and to take all our concerns into account.