"Big" Conference Bias

RowdyZip

After a quick scan of todays updated RPI rankings I notice the Zips just 9 spots behind Florida. The Gators are 12-2 playing the 296th ranked schedule.The Zips are 10-2 playing the 315th ranked schedule.The gators are ranked 31st and 32nd respectively in the AP and Coaches Polls.Anyone think the Zips would be sniffing poll points, let alone knocking on the door of the top 25 if these records were reversed? I sure dont.

After a quick scan of todays updated RPI rankings I notice the Zips just 9 spots behind Florida. The Gators are 12-2 playing the 296th ranked schedule.The Zips are 10-2 playing the 315th ranked schedule.The gators are ranked 31st and 32nd respectively in the AP and Coaches Polls.Anyone think the Zips would be sniffing poll points, let alone knocking on the door of the top 25 if these records were reversed? I sure dont.
I for one could care less about strength of schedule or RPI. I honestly believe that the MAC is a one team NCAA Tournament conference at this time. Last year the Zips had 26 wins and they were not all cupcakes and look what happened. The problem is the perception of the media, the coaches, and the tournament selectors, and the MAC does not get any respect from any of them for various reasons.

This has everything to do with MONEY. Akron does not travel. Most people think Akron is not even in DI-A. Nobody, outside of a few diehard fans, follow the Zips. We don't even get respect from the hometown paper this is surrounded by campus. Schools that have well known names and travel better will ALWAYS get the nod over those who are unheard of, regardless of how good the team is. We all know that the NCAA is and unbiased organization working for equality among student athletes of Major Schools. What Akron needs to do is to pull off a few upsets. This year that means winning the MAC and going deep into the tourney. Follow up with a similar run in 2009, and THEN we'll be packing the JAR and getting some respect. Until that happens, we won't be on anybody's radar.

There has always been a "Big" Conference Bias. The only way to fix that is to play them and beat them. Since we don't schedule them that's impossible for the Zips. The Big Conferences generally refuse to play road games against OOC teams so that also helps keep the bias intact.The Zips only chance to make some noise this year is against Dayton. It's almost impossible to beat Dayton at home, lets just hope they will still be celebrating their 25 point win over 6th ranked and previously undefeated Pittsburgh.The MAC will again get only one bid this year baring a miracle, so rpi and sos don't matter anyway.

The "Big" conferences play each other in the Big Ten vs. ACC challenge and the Big 12 vs. Pac 10 Challenge. I think the MAC commisioner should try to set something up like that with Conference USA or the Missouri Valley, smaller conferences which historically get more than one team into the Big Dance. Do I think we can win the challenge, maybe not. But, if we had a good showing one year with the "upper echelon" teams (i.e. Akron, Can't, Miami, Ohio) to beat a Southern Illinois, Creighton, Witchita State then maybe that could help the MAC get more than one team in the tournament. Doubt it would ever happen, but I guess some wishful thinking.

The MAC will again get only one bid this year baring a miracle, so rpi and sos don't matter anyway.
This truism would have very possibly gone by the wayside, had Miami been able to beat Cinci on Saturday. They lost 56-50, but their wins over Xavier and Illinois are the biggest by the MAC this year. However they also have losses to Louisville, Dayton and now UC. Yes, the MAC will probably get just one bid, but that is NOT written in stone. If MU were to go with one or 0 losses in the conference, and lose in the tourney final, they would definitely be considered I believe.The bottom line is, you can't get in if you don't play big-time opponents. And they have gotten Miami ready for conference play better than any MAC team.

Z.I.P.....you've hit the nail on the head.This philosophy of "if they won't give us a home game, we won't play them" gets you NOWHERE. Miami is showing us how to do it, and we should be paying close attention. Besides the opportunity for an at large, and the preparation for conference play (both of which you mentioned), you also gain some national exposure, and help your recruiting. Then you turn around the next year and keep the cycle going. THAT's how you build a program.Let me say it again...Refusing to play top-notch competition on the road, and instead scheduling the 320th ranked OOC schedule, especially when you KNOW that your conference schedule is not going to help, is doing very, very little for the growth of your program.