Zips vs. Can't State

Zip Watcher

all student sections will have their chants that arent very sportsmanlike.Heres the one I like, walking back to the car there was a group of self proclaimed Akron fans yelling " F Can't State" "I hate KentState" and threatening to inflict harm on anyone that would voice there opposing opinions. They were extremely disrespectful to the many old and young walking back to the cars after a great game. This is nothing new I saw the same thing after the football game at akron this year.A few bad apples can spoil the bunch, and that's true at every school. OU's fans were pretty obnoxious too.Maybe we should start talking about productive topics like Central Mich. for our next game. Any insight on that team?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always find it hard to believe that one side is always 100% responsible for everything. People talk of Q getting caught up in the moment and getting the second tech. From some friends of mine who were near the action they thought McNees foul was hard, but not flagrent and Quintence got caught up in the moment and thought it was. It was a bad moment for everyone involved, vent and let's move on...I will say this however, this is the second game in a row K.e.n.t got into it at the end of the game. Against OU on ESPN classic Saturday, they got 3 techs called on them in the last minute when Singletary kicked Tillman. Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern... guess we'll see what K.e.n.t does huh?

Singletary is dirty as hell. The guy acts like he's just trying to get past our guy on inbounds plays as he has his arms raised in the air and his elbows are right in the face of the guy he's "just trying to get past." No, really, ref. Was glad to see Linhart give him a shove to the face just before a timeout. Singletary was NOT happy about that and I'm surprised nothing more came of it. A little taste of his own thug medicine.I hope the Rowdies took notice of #4 (Isaac Knight) blowing kisses their way as he went to shake hands with the Akron players after the game. Q played a strong game but he's borderline thug in my book. Wouldn't surprise me at all to read about a few of the current Can't players in a less-than-positive light after they finish their eligibility (couldn't go so far as to say 'graduate' - too much benefit of the doubt). I hope I'm wrong - time will tell. I'd really like to see a Miami-like blowout on March 9th to send a loud and clear message as everyone heads north to The Q in Cleveland.

Thoughts this morning after some time to cool down.First and foremost, this rivalry thing is starting to reach dangerous heights. That isn't a good thing. The hatred that these two teams have for one another makes for a great rivalry, but the hatred doesn't seem to have enough restraint on it and it ends up getting out of control as we saw last night. Hopefully last night was the somber reminder that was needed to get this thing realed back in from an out of control blood bath to a competitive, fiery rivalry. I don't want to see or hear about more incidents like that when these teams hit the floor at the JAR later on. Truth be told, I was regretting not getting a ticket for last night, but after that whole incident I'm kind of glad I wasn't there.We have to get more consistency out of our guard play. Dials is the only one consistently contributing at a high level night in and night out. Cedrick is sadly a shell of his former self. The injuries have caught up to him and combined with the increased playing time he just doesn't have it right now. McNees has shown flushes of brilliance, but last night was an absolute travesty. Roberts continues to progress, but you can't blame KD for not playing him more than he has when the kid has only been with the program for a month. The McKnight brothers need to be on the floor more often. Chris has gotten some criticism this season for an apparent lack of progress, but the bottom line is those two give us better and more consistent play, especially on the offensive end than Quade and Bardo do. Brett in particular is going to be tough to defend. He has the body and skills to play around the hoop and he's got a very good outside shot that you have to account for. Chris is an adequate rebounder and his offensive game is getting better and better.At some point in time Conyers needs to pick up his offensive game. I love the kids defense, but he has no confidence on the offensive side of things and it makes him a liability on the floor.

For those who didn't know, the person who got grabbed by the official was Jordan Mincy, one of their PG's. The Rowdies in particular should take note of that.Case in point: post-1266-1201185163_thumb.jpg
Good leadership by Wood. He could whip just about anyone, if not everyone, in the conference and he is trying the calm the situation.

Many great posts regarding the game last night. MY thoughts. Someone pointed out that last year, with both Wood and Romeo rebounding, scoring down low, and playing great defense, "Q", putting much was taken care of by the Zips. Now, he has no fear. Time to put the fear back into him!!!!I think KD has done a great job so far. BUT, Chris M. must learn to set up in the paint, knock people down sometimes, and score. This will give help to J. Wood, and also loosen things up more for all of our guards.As far as Steve M., I am confident he will bounce back. It was his first experience in this heated rivalry.And it happened to come on the road.Jimmy Conyers, not a good game for him, but he will also bounce back.Dials, what can I say????? Great game, but more points from down low will give him more rest.Zips grabbed a ton of offensive rebounds last night.When our guards are pressured heavily out front, try setting high screens, and run some pick-n-rolls.

What a lousy game...1 - Ham 'n' cheese - DEFINITELY t'd up before Milum. I understand standing up for your teammates Quade, but when some mouth-breathing panhead (read: Quaintance) shoves your point guard in the face after a foul (I had an excellent view of this by the way) and puts your team in a position to tie the game up, I think it would be better to suck it up and let your game do the talking at the other end instead of shoving him back. As was the case several times last night, we wasted a K.e.n.t miscue that could have put us back in business. I'd never known HQ to be that much of an asshat, but I'm sure those post-game antics will not be forgotten by the Zips (or the Rowdies I hope).2 - Steve McNees... What the heck? 8 turnovers. 8. By one guy. It gets worse... he only played 16 minutes. We made our first half run when he was out of the game. We gave everything back in the second half when he was back in it, throwing lob passes to the K.e.n.t defense. KD can't be that inobservant... how was he not riding pine the rest of the way after number four or five? Good on him for his performance shooting the ball against the Deadhawks, but let's hope last night was the worst game he'll ever play. 3 - Brett McKnight - What an animal... they don't have anymore PT for this guy?4 - Jim Christian - A seemingly decent guy. I thought it was just Browns fans that toss stuff on the playing surface when they get honked off. At least Browns fans are always drunk when they pull that kind of nonsesnse, what's the K.e.n.t student section's excuse?5 - Nick Dials - One of the best performances he's ever turned in, and on a tough stage. 22 points, five rebounds, seven assists, and six-of-six at the line. If everyone else follows the examples of toughness, confidence, and execution that he set last night, then an NCAA bid is in our future.6 - Cedrick Middleton - Is he OK? Just doesn't seem like himself this year.7 - The refs - They were terrible, but neither team was any better off for it. Whoever said to blame our 23 turnovers instead of the refs for last night was absolutely right. One thing I don't understand though... foul on McNees and a double-technical at the end of the game. How does K.e.n.t get the ensuing ball out of bounds? I would have thought that both sets of technical foul shots would have been taken, followed by HQ taking his shots as usual for the initial foul. Instead all six were taken with no one in the blocks and then the ball was awarded out of bounds.8 - "Dirty" cheers and chants - It's a college basketball game, not a nursery. Who cares? Blah Blah Blah, there's kids there... they've never heard those words before? If I hear the word "classless" used to describe any player, coach, or student body one more time, I'm going to pull my hair out. Start singing CSNY's "Ohio" en masse in our house next time around, no cheer K.e.n.t has could ever top that.9 - Akronzip12345 - Take your "objectivity" and stick it in your earhole... If you really do go to Akron, they ought to kick you out.10 - March 6th - It had better be so loud at the JAR that I can't even hear myself think when these two teams meet again.K.e.n.t State still sucks... and I have a feeling that next time around we won't give the ball away 23 times when we play them.

For those who didn't know, the person who got grabbed by the official was Jordan Mincy, one of their PG's. The Rowdies in particular should take note of that.Case in point: post-1266-1201185163_thumb.jpg
Good leadership by Wood. He could whip just about anyone, if not everyone, in the conference and he is trying the calm the situation.
Great Point GP1 -- I thought the same thing after seeing the picture. I'd also add Dials who was pulling players out of the mix on the video.Jeremiah :bow: Hard to understand how Mincy avoided any technical or foul on the play. On the video, he is out of control and the ref and Dials are having a hard time restraining him from going back into the mix. Odd.

7 - The refs - They were terrible, but neither team was any better off for it. Whoever said to blame our 23 turnovers instead of the refs for last night was absolutely right. One thing I don't understand though... foul on McNees and a double-technical at the end of the game. How does K.e.n.t get the ensuing ball out of bounds? I would have thought that both sets of technical foul shots would have been taken, followed by HQ taking his shots as usual for the initial foul. Instead all six were taken with no one in the blocks and then the ball was awarded out of bounds.
Per the postgame show last night & I think it's the right call:Since it was a double technical (one on each side), it becomes a jump ball scenario, reverting to the possession arrow. Hence, they shoot the PF shots first, then the T's and then Can't got the ball on alternating possession.

We are lucky they didn't take the picture of our guy swinging first
Amen. You should take some of the blame here ZipsNation. First of all, there was no need for McNees to foul Q that hard. That was the start of it. However, Q should've responded in much more civil manner, no question. What escalated it was Milum coming over to Q and bumping him. Sure, he was sticking up for his teammate, but you can't do that - just ask the Phoenix Suns last year. Milum was ulimately responsible for the escalation of the fight and everyone was lucky that this incident didn't get waaay out control. Could've been extremely ugly.The refs did suck, as MAC refs usually do. No new news here. The difference was Can't stepping up the defense in the last 10 minutes to put Akron out of their misery. Q took it to Woods, by the way. That was the difference.Hey, you cannot expect to beat K.e.n.t. 100 times in a row... hopefully, we'll see each other in the finals at Quicken Loans Arena in mid-March.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't have a problem with a little pushing and shoving at the end of a game. I actually like the idea that SM took a hard foul on a Can't player. This is our biggest rival. The emotions should be that high. I'm actually glad SM understands it already as a freshman. A little perspective. In hockey, they fight at the end of a game almost every night. What happened is small in comparison.Nobody was hurt...nobody will be suspended. Let's take some of that emotion out on the next team we play. A little fight is good for a team.

Akronzip12345 (a handful of posts on this board)...

all student sections will have their chants that arent very sportsmanlike.Heres the one I like, walking back to the car there was a group of self proclaimed Akron fans yelling " F Can't State" "I hate KentState" and threatening to inflict harm on anyone that would voice there opposing opinions. They were extremely disrespectful to the many old and young walking back to the cars after a great game. This is nothing new I saw the same thing after the football game at akron this year.A few bad apples can spoil the bunch, and that's true at every school. OU's fans were pretty obnoxious too.Maybe we should start talking about productive topics like Central Mich. for our next game. Any insight on that team?
flushgrad03 (803 posts on Hippie U board)...
all student sections will have their chants that arent very sportsmanlike.heres the one i like, walking back to the car there was a group of self proclaimed Akron fans yelling " F Can't State" "i hate KentState" and threatening to inflict harm on anyone that would voice there opposing opinions. in Akrons defense these guys probably didnt even have the iq to even get into Akron but still they were extremely disrespectful to the many old and young walking back to the cars after a great game. This is nothing new i saw the same thing after the football game at akron this year.
Douchebag.

Treeoman13:"Amen. You should take some of the blame here ZipsNation. First of all, there was no need for McNees to foul Q that hard. That was the start of it. However, Q should've responded in much more civil manner, no question. What escalated it was Milum coming over to Q and bumping him. Sure, he was sticking up for his teammate, but you can't do that - just ask the Phoenix Suns last year. Milum was ulimately responsible for the escalation of the fight and everyone was lucky that this incident didn't get waaay out control. Could've been extremely ugly." :wave::wave::wave: This is not at all how everything went down. I was not a hard foul at all by McNees. Not as hard as some of the no calls during the course of the game. Q escallated the whole thing and then Milum came over and got face to face with Q. Then it was Mincy for Can't that came over and started to swing at Milum. Dials pulled him away and then the ref took him out of the pile in a headlock. Then some of the students started to come out of the stands. That is what happend. Mincy should have been Ted up as well for starting the 'escalation' of the event. It was a foul on McNees and then a T on Q then a T on Quade. That is the order of the fouls/Ts called on the floor. Its amazing how pp can get the nerve to talk on here when they dont even know what they are talking about. Especially when the integrity of young individuals are involved, speek only when you know what really happend.

My thoughts:We got our butts kicked.Say what you want about the K.e.n.t. students, but anyone in Akron would give their left nut to have such student support at a basketball game. If UA had 4 tourney appearances in the last 9 years, we'd have that support too. We're getting there. But with regards to student support at basketball games -- K.e.n.t. is "there."Rowdies did a nice job...except for the idiot that kept whistling when K.e.n.t. was shooting free throws. Someone please put a sock in that dude's mouth next game. Got a free ticket from a K.e.n.t. student prior to the game. 12 straight years I've gotten into that game for free. I just can't put money into the K.e.n.t. coffers if I can avoid it. :D If you lose a game, you always start thinking, "If I were the coach, I'd have...". If I were coaching last night...and there's good reason I wasn't...McNees wouldn't have seen the floor in the second half. He was absolutely overmatched. He was at 33rpm's, and K.e.n.t. was on 78. It will be interesting to see how he picks up his game in the March 9th rematch. In McNees' place -- "Big Shot" Brett McKnight. No he can't handle the ball, but other than Dials he was the only guy that was able to fill it up. He needed more time on the floor. Chris McKnight brought is "A" game offensively too...I'd have taken 10 minutes more of CM over Quade.Ced -- Who doesn't love Ced? No one. He's one of my top 5 all time Zips. But he's been atrocious lately. He's a great shooter from 19 feet 9 inches, but his shooting percentage drops exponentially for every inch beyond the arc. He needs to get better physically for sure...but he needs to start playing to his strengths too. He forced things last night. He's done that a lot lately. Wood did ok, but Quaintence got the best of him. Wood got the ball 15 feet out WAY too frequently. Rarely did he get it down on the blocks. Credit K.e.n.t.'s help defense. Conyers is usually an enigma offensively, and solid defensively. Last night he was a consistent enigma.Dials was awesome. Tough on D, clutch on offense. Maybe his best overall game as a Zip.As seems to be common in games that get physical...Quade disappears. The up-and-down "track meet" games....there, he goes off. But when teams are banging, he's really at a disadvantage.I thought the refs stunk, but no more than any other MAC game. We lost because K.e.n.t. played awesome defense and hit clutch shots. They wore a very deep Zips team down.Our near comeback at game's end was nice...but hitting shots when the game is essentially over is easy. You see it all the time. We needed to hit those shots with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half. McNees' foul on Quaintence was nothing big. Quaintence is a jerk. But that jerk owned the paint last night.Kudos to Quade for sticking up for his teammate. The 6' 8" 230 lb Quaintence could have killed the 6' 180 lb McNees. I agree with GP1...it is good to see some passion like that in the rivalry game.Why can't we throw a late-game inbounds pass inbounds? Our late game inbounds pass was "Miami" all over again. The game was already decided, but there appears to be a pattern.I like the MAC this year. OU, K.e.n.t., Akron and Western Michigan are all playing at a very high level. Miami will be in the mix at the end too. Let's get up to 17 wins, and see what the Bracket Buster draw gives us. K.e.n.t. will get a slightly better draw, but...they deserve it.

What a lousy game...1 - Ham 'n' cheese - DEFINITELY t'd up before Milum. I understand standing up for your teammates Quade, but when some mouth-breathing panhead (read: Quaintance) shoves your point guard in the face after a foul (I had an excellent view of this by the way) and puts your team in a position to tie the game up, I think it would be better to suck it up and let your game do the talking at the other end instead of shoving him back. As was the case several times last night, we wasted a K.e.n.t miscue that could have put us back in business. I'd never known HQ to be that much of an asshat, but I'm sure those post-game antics will not be forgotten by the Zips (or the Rowdies I hope).2 - Steve McNees... What the heck? 8 turnovers. 8. By one guy. It gets worse... he only played 16 minutes. We made our first half run when he was out of the game. We gave everything back in the second half when he was back in it, throwing lob passes to the K.e.n.t defense. KD can't be that inobservant... how was he not riding pine the rest of the way after number four or five? Good on him for his performance shooting the ball against the Deadhawks, but let's hope last night was the worst game he'll ever play. 3 - Brett McKnight - What an animal... they don't have anymore PT for this guy?4 - Jim Christian - A seemingly decent guy. I thought it was just Browns fans that toss stuff on the playing surface when they get honked off. At least Browns fans are always drunk when they pull that kind of nonsesnse, what's the K.e.n.t student section's excuse?5 - Nick Dials - One of the best performances he's ever turned in, and on a tough stage. 22 points, five rebounds, seven assists, and six-of-six at the line. If everyone else follows the examples of toughness, confidence, and execution that he set last night, then an NCAA bid is in our future.6 - Cedrick Middleton - Is he OK? Just doesn't seem like himself this year.7 - The refs - They were terrible, but neither team was any better off for it. Whoever said to blame our 23 turnovers instead of the refs for last night was absolutely right. One thing I don't understand though... foul on McNees and a double-technical at the end of the game. How does K.e.n.t get the ensuing ball out of bounds? I would have thought that both sets of technical foul shots would have been taken, followed by HQ taking his shots as usual for the initial foul. Instead all six were taken with no one in the blocks and then the ball was awarded out of bounds.8 - "Dirty" cheers and chants - It's a college basketball game, not a nursery. Who cares? Blah Blah Blah, there's kids there... they've never heard those words before? If I hear the word "classless" used to describe any player, coach, or student body one more time, I'm going to pull my hair out. Start singing CSNY's "Ohio" en masse in our house next time around, no cheer K.e.n.t has could ever top that.9 - Akronzip12345 - Take your "objectivity" and stick it in your earhole... If you really do go to Akron, they ought to kick you out.10 - March 6th - It had better be so loud at the JAR that I can't even hear myself think when these two teams meet again.K.e.n.t State still sucks... and I have a feeling that next time around we won't give the ball away 23 times when we play them.
How do you let someone play that has 8 turnovers? He looked like he didnt want to be out there? I just don't get that one at all! Coach D made excuses afterwards about it, but none of them sounded realistic. Poor coaching there! When he threw that last pass right into Ken'ts hands I almost turned it off! Can anyone explain the Coaches decision on this?

CAP'N ... excellent post. I pretty much agree with your analysis.I would like to add that the Zips appear to have great difficulty with teams that post up two big men. Example: Ohio and now Cant.Also, by his own admission, KD does not go deep enough on his bench in the second half of games. It is worth pointing out that Dan Hipsher lost his fan basebecause the only two players he trusted were his own two sons. One a great player with a permanently bad back and the other a stiff.

As much as I like to look at things objectively, anyone who watched that game should clearly see that when the game got physical in the 2nd half, Akron was getting called for fouls, and Can't was not. Akron did not play a good game last night....Agreed. And yes, I know MAC officiating is bad in general. But, the one-sided calls during that middle portion of the 2nd half had a huge impact on the outcome of the game. Not only did it provide a disadvantage to Akron, but also changed the way we were playing on the defensive end. Please, someone tell me....objectively...how you could say that little Steve McNees, by grabbing Ham-n-Cheese, could possibly be called a "hard foul". And what makes that play even funnier is that Ham-n-Cheese was stupid enough to start something that could have cost his team the game. The "no-call" when Ham-n-Cheese knocks Middleton to the floor on the layup in the 2nd half takes "bad MAC officiating" to a whole new level of BAD. The way they were able to bump our guards out of the perimeter is also unexplainable. Once again, kudos to the classy Jeremiah Wood, who probably could have clearly justified going into that pile of players (especially the way he was getting hacked all night), but instead decided to take the high road and police the situation.

Captain Kangaroo...I have a slight problem with your one post about the individual who whistles all the time. If it's annoying you, what do you think it's doing to the players and the rest of the people. Isn't it our job to be loud and obnoxious when they're shooting free throws to distract them...by any means possible. Yes it's annoying...get over it. It was the freaking Can't GAME...OUR BIGGEST RIVALS...and we should not be loud and obnoxious in a nonviolent way. He wasn't swearing, making threats, or flippin the bird...and I know this for a fact because I stood next to him at the game. Granted I had an earplug in my one ear, but all it takes is a finger in your ear and it's fine. I mean did you notice whenever he was whistling all the students looking up...thinkin WTF???. Exactly. While you may argue that it did nothing most of the time because they made their foul shots. To that I say they probably practice foul shots more than we do. I said probably...I don't know for sure, I'm just goin off our production from the line...minus Dials. Personally I think it's awesome that he does it...I certainly can't whistle like that and there arent many who can. So why not. It's better than throwin f bombs, makin threats, or fippin the bird. Plus he has a lot of Akron pride. More than most of us, and probably the same amount as Willy. I hate to give his identity away but he is a member of Blue and Gold Brass...the pep band; and he's also the Drum Major for Ohio's Pride. So he has a lot of spirit and pride in a good way.

When all is said and done what disturbs me the most is not the hard foul by McNeese, not the T's against Ham 'n Cheese and Quade or even the throwing of trash by the K.S.U. students (well maybe that does bother me). What really bothers me, as one who played the game a long - long time ago, is the antics after the game of Quaintance and Mincy if the stories are true. Sports are supposed to teach good manners and sportsmanship and after the battle you should shake hands and show your opponent some respect. There is no place for dancing, sticking out your tongue, giving your opponents the finger, etc. This is basketball, but I know what would happen in football the next time the two teams met, and Mr Quaintance would probably spend a little time in the hospital. That's not good sportsmanship either, but that's what would happen.