Akron at UMASS

lovezips

Here are UMass results against teams we played:1 - They killed Northern Ill by 15. (doesn't mean a thing)2 - Beat Toledo by 7 (We beat toledo by more than that if i remember right)3 - They beat Dayton at Dayton by 11 (That one is scary)4 - They lost at Temple by 10 (Good News)They get Contributions from 3 big seniors @ 6-7, 6-8, and 6-9. We will need big games from J-wood, Bardo, and Quade.I say it is winnable. Can we please work on our free throws? pretty pretty please.

This is a drivable road game .. long day, but with 2 drivers, it can be done in a straight shot.Basketball HOF is pretty close by.UMass is a dreadful place similar to that school that shall not be named in Wanker County. Yes, ZW is a UConn grad. This is a beautiful thing. Zips @ U_Ass with a chance to end the minutemen's season on a long holiday weekend.Hope to see you there!!! B) B) B) Go Zips!

This is a drivable road game .. long day, but with 2 drivers, it can be done in a straight shot.Basketball HOF is pretty close by.UMass is a dreadful place similar to that school that shall not be named in Wanker County. Yes, ZW is a UConn grad. This is a beautiful thing. Zips @ U_Ass with a chance to end the minutemen's season on a long holiday weekend.Hope to see you there!!! B) B) B) Go Zips!
Are you also a UA alum?...I assumed most people on this board are...I find it hard to believe that some of our biggest and best fans are only casual related to the university. What professional field are you in?

Are you also a UA alum?...I assumed most people on this board are...I find it hard to believe that some of our biggest and best fans are only casual related to the university. What professional field are you in?
I am also not a UA alum, but my mother, brother, uncle, wife, etc. all went there. And I grew up downtown. Huge Zips fan.This is an interesting side topic. I've often wondered myself how many on the board are UA grads.

I am also not a UA alum, but my mother, brother, uncle, wife, etc. all went there. And I grew up downtown. Huge Zips fan.This is an interesting side topic. I've often wondered myself how many on the board are UA grads.
It would be cool if the moderators could allow this kind of information to be entered into our Nation profiles. I also wish more people would include current location in their profiles.

I watched a little of UMASS against SFA before the Zips game last night. The Minuteman front line is big and blocks a lot of shots. I think the "work it inside to Wood and back out for 3's" strategy can work against this team. I hope JW has his pump fake bag of tricks working too, because UMASS will go for 'em. The thing I keep reminding myself is that the Zips did not play a particularly good offensive game last night (although I agree with many, the D was outstanding). Now I know the competition is pretty stout in the NIT, but have there, up to this point, been 2 games in a row this year in which UA has played poorly on offense?

ZW, by all means, I would welcome a Zips fan to the forum no matter where you are from. I bet you loved being #1 back in 1996 in the days of shot blocking guru Marcus Camby.
I'm not sure you've understood my post. I am a UCONN alumnus .. and despise U_Ass to levels equal to that of Indiana (also a Purdue grad) and the school whose name shall not be uttered.Camby & Calipari were yellow. They wouldn't dare play UConn when we had Marshall, Marshall, Allen & company .. they ran and hid until a few years later when the Huskies then handed them their asses.I can't tell you how much I will enjoy the Zips ending the minutemen's season.Go Zips!

My biggest fear is their depth off the bench. Plus their rpi is sick nasty. I fear this will be one of those where we are able to hang with them starter for starter, but will inevitably tire out. Let us not forget that this first one with FSU was against a team unmotivated to win given their NCAA snub...NOT TO TAKE ANYTHING AWAY FROM OUR AMAZING WIN! But, the farther one goes into any tourney, including the NIT, the more motivated they become to win it all. It is human nature to want to win, anyway. So, solid first half play will be a must...not to mention better free throw shooting from the line and field, rebounding, AND turnover ratio ALL WHILE MAINTAINING THAT DEFENSIVE MINDSET (that I about blew a nut over against FSU). I know this sounds obvious but it is everso important, especially when you talk about an Akron vs UMass type matchup.

Just an FYI I found airtix on kayak.com for $200 out of CAK. MASS is within driving distance but with gas at $3.20+, it's just a thought for anyone fortunate enough to get off work and out of family obligations. Apparently Easter is kind of a big deal.
$200?! From CAK to where? And what were the dates / airlines? I'm finding ~700 minimum going into BDL (Hartford/Springfield).

Just an FYI I found airtix on kayak.com for $200 out of CAK. MASS is within driving distance but with gas at $3.20+, it's just a thought for anyone fortunate enough to get off work and out of family obligations. Apparently Easter is kind of a big deal.
$200?! From CAK to where? And what were the dates / airlines? I'm finding ~700 minimum going into BDL (Hartford/Springfield).
try www.airbus.comyeah you have to fly out of columbus, but man, rates are only in the $300's and they have alot of great rates.

Here're the game notes from UMass:http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-ba.../032008aaa.htmlHighlights:UMass-Akron Series NotesUMass and Akron have never played in men's basketball. The schools have played in baseball, with the Zips winning in 1993 and men's soccer, against with Akron winning, 1-0, in 1985.UMass and Akron feature two of the top mascots in the nation. Akron's Zippy was the Capital One Mascot of the Year in 2007. In 2005, UMass' Sam The Minuteman was the National Runner-Up for the Mascot of the Year.UMass is playing its third MAC school this season. The Minutemen beat Northern Illinois, 102-87, on Nov. 10 as part of the BTI Tip-Off Tournament. Then on Dec. 15, UMass downed Toledo, 68-61 at the Mullins Center. Against MAC schools, UMass is 5-4: Buffalo (1-0), Eastern Michigan (1-0), Can't State (0-2), Northern Illinois (1-0), Ohio (1-0), Toledo (1-2).UMass and Akron have played four common opponents this season with UMass posting a 3-1 record against Dayton, Northern Illinois, Temple and Toledo. The Zips are 2-2 against those four teams.

Huge game for the Zips, and we really have no excuses. We're as healthy as we could ever hope for, and we've had several days off...on spring break (no missed classes), none the less.Last time we were in the NIT I think we beat Temple in OT, then had to play at Creighton the following night? That was asking a bit much.I like our chances. After the FSU game, we should be playing with a lot of confidence.Which Dials will show up?