A win for UA.

Man. Reading some of those comments makes me wish UA could just pick up its beautiful campus and all the benefits that it gives toe city and leave for somewhere where the people actually appreciate what we bring to the table. They don't want a football stadium downtown because it has no competitive advantage over other open air arenas like Blossom? They don't want us to tear down the blighted cancer of slums that chokes off the heart of downtown? We are a commuter school and should know our place? "Akron University" does nothing but buy up properties downtown to grow itself without giving anything back to the community?These people are afraid of what their city, the city of Akron as it is in their own twosted minds, will become. They have memories of Akron before the rubber companies left, of the Zip Strip before it was a hangout for drug addicts and homeless people, of once thriving neighborhoods that have since fallen into the darkest of decays. They think it is still like it used to be, and that we will ruin it out of UA's own greed, not giving anything back in return. They can't accept that the city has changed since then, for the worse, or if they have accept it, they refuse to believe that more change is needed to make the city better. It's sad. You didn't hear protests when the Mayor approved for the city to go into deep debt to rebuild every public school in Akron, and or situation with the Rubber Bowl is similar: the old buildings are on the verge of crumbling and need replaced. It might be that some of them are OSU drones that can't stand for any other university in the state to have nice things, lest we actually strive to compete with that school in Colombus.Who knows. All I know is that I can't wait for the stadium to be built, because when it does, the campus will finally be complete.

Man. Reading some of those comments makes me wish UA could just pick up its beautiful campus and all the benefits that it gives toe city and leave for somewhere where the people actually appreciate what we bring to the table. They don't want a football stadium downtown because it has no competitive advantage over other open air arenas like Blossom? They don't want us to tear down the blighted cancer of slums that chokes off the heart of downtown? We are a commuter school and should know our place? "Akron University" does nothing but buy up properties downtown to grow itself without giving anything back to the community?These people are afraid of what their city, the city of Akron as it is in their own twosted minds, will become. They have memories of Akron before the rubber companies left, of the Zip Strip before it was a hangout for drug addicts and homeless people, of once thriving neighborhoods that have since fallen into the darkest of decays. They think it is still like it used to be, and that we will ruin it out of UA's own greed, not giving anything back in return. They can't accept that the city has changed since then, for the worse, or if they have accept it, they refuse to believe that more change is needed to make the city better. It's sad. You didn't hear protests when the Mayor approved for the city to go into deep debt to rebuild every public school in Akron, and or situation with the Rubber Bowl is similar: the old buildings are on the verge of crumbling and need replaced. It might be that some of them are OSU drones that can't stand for any other university in the state to have nice things, lest we actually strive to compete with that school in Colombus.Who knows. All I know is that I can't wait for the stadium to be built, because when it does, the campus will finally be complete.
The days of oodles of unskilled labor jobs in Akron has gone and probably won't come back but they keep hoping. Maybe if the dollar gets down to 1/10 of what it is they will.As for the campus being complete when the stadium is finished, I'm not totally in agreement. The JAR needs a major rehaul or replacement to really compete. I don't know if the joint city/university project will happen downtown as Dr. P and "the Don" agreed or if it will sit on a shelf until one of them (the Don) is gone and they just build it on campus proper.

Judge spicer ruling that the University pay exactly what they originally offered is a very very clear message to property owners.If you translate it, what it says is: "The university made an offer that is more than fair. If you gamble on making frivolous gains, you will end up losing what you could have bargained for in good faith"

In my opinion, the campus won't be complete until UA acquires and incorporates NEOUCOMP including academic and research buildings in the biomedical corridor.

you just watch. once this new stadium goes up so will other new places. I'm willing to bet that the night life on Exchange will kick up as far as clubs and bars go. it would be great to have some of those things closer to campus for students and it will push out the slum that inhabbits it now. I personaly can't wait for the day that I can walk down the Exchange without hearing "hey man you got fiddy cent?"

I personaly can't wait for the day that I can walk down the Exchange without hearing "hey man you got fiddy cent?"
You know, every time I hear that I always think to myself, "This guy is just gonna use this to buy booze or cigarettes." Then I realize that's what I was going to spend it on, so I usually end up giving them a quarter.

What I mean by "Complete" is that all major UA functions, academic and otherwise, will now be able to held on campus. The only major thing that wasn't on campus was football games, and with the new stadium that's no longer a problem.
I think most of us knew what you meant. The campus will never really be "complete," as it will always continue to evolve and grow. But I most definitely agree w/ you uakronkid, the stadium is the keystone project for the entire Landscape for Learning initiative as well as for much future development. We're all going to look back on the opening of our new stadium as the single most monumental step forward in the UofA's history. Even if NEOUCOM moves to UA and develops the biomedical corridor, or 5 - 10 years from now when the b-ball team opens a new arena, neither will be as important a development as this new stadium is to signal the true ascendance of the UofA as well as adding to the campus asthetics and community life. The stadium project will likely be the catalyst for the development of all of Exchange St. leading downtown, and all of Spicertown as well. This project is huge.

They all have what I call 'Chrissy Hynde" disease. :blink: You know, My City Is Gone, Disease. :lol: Nothing can change, it must always be as it was in my blissfull youth. :zzz:

I'm as excited about the new stadium as everyone else, but in general, it seems that most Stadiums are underutilized. Infocision won't be an exception. I don't think it will have the economic impact in Akron that everyone thinks it will either. There are so many stadiums in the area that a new one won't really draw a whole lot of additional usage. It will sit empty most of the year and we'll only have FB games there what, 6 times a year (hopefully). Sure HS games will be played there, but I think it's safe to say nobody will be paying to go through the gates 90% of the time. Though the soccer team is very, very successful, I think they should use the stadium as well. It does greatly improve the campus, remove some of the slums around campus and give a boost to that area. I don't see how it will cause a bunch of new restaurants and bars to pop up. In my mind, there are a finite number of people who will regularly make the trip into Akron for food and drink. That number may incrementally increase because of the stadium, but Akron isn't going to grow with jobs from Cooks and Waitresses. One thing I would really like to see is a business incubator as part of the University. When I went to the WMU FB game earlier this year, I was shocked to see a very impressive Technology park associated with WMU. UA should work with the Federal Gov't, State and the City to build a Business Incubator or Technology Park. Build a new building Downtown or get rid of some additional slums around campus. Technically, I think there is something down by the RR tracks off of Wolf Ledges, but who wants to build a building next to railroad tracks.