UA Traditions

UA1987

Ok it's a bit slow on this board so how about discussing UA traditions (fight song, nickname, pregame) starting with our fight song. The music to our fight song is one of the best around the Country (sorry if I sound a bit like Gerry Faust). It's uplifting and inspiring. The words, however, are a bit awkward at best and embarrassing at worst. I was at a game several year's ago and the PA announcer sang our fight song in pre-game when the band entered onto the Rubber Bowl field and I was really glad that there were only 4,000 people in the stands to hear it. Here is our current version which is sung to our fight song music:'Akron Blue and Gold'We cheer the Akron Blue and GoldWe cheer as the colors unfold.We pledge anew, we all for you,As the team goes crashing throughFight! Fight!We cheer the Akron Warriors bold,For they're fighting a fight that's a sight to behold.So we stand up, cheer and shout,For the Akron Blue and Gold.Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Akron True Gold and Blue,All for you and the Zi-ips too!It's actually not too bad till the end. I submitted the following change to Proenza and he sent it to a committee death: We cheer the Akron Blue and GoldWe cheer as the colors unfold.We pledge anew, we all for you,As the team goes crashing throughFight! Fight!We cheer the Akron Warriors bold,For they're fighting a fight that's a sight to behold.So we stand up, cheer and shout,For the Akron Blue and Gold.Go-ooo! Akron, lead with our banner!Go-ooo! Akron, show them what matters!Akron True Gold and Blue,We will always remember you!On another topic - what about the nickname Zips. In deference to Margaret Hamlin. It's so bad it's great. I get requests for gear that says 'Zips' on it all the time, but never one article that has our current logo.Additionally, what about having a kangaroo as a mascot. Do we have any Roo's in Ohio. What were they thinking. Not only that, but, kangaroos are about as dangerous as deer. I would vote to always keep Zippy around as a mascot, but again what were the alumni of old thinking? This one may also fall into the category of - so bad it's good.Lastly, should the University consider another logo change? Would going back to a circle or moving A be best?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok it's a bit slow on this board so how about discussing UA traditions (fight song, nickname, pregame) starting with our fight song. The music to our fight song is one of the best around the Country (sorry if I sound a bit like Gerry Faust). It's uplifting and inspiring. The words, however, are a bit awkward at best and embarrassing at worst. I was at a game several year's ago and the PA announcer sang our fight song in pre-game when the band entered onto the Rubber Bowl field and I was really glad that there were only 4,000 people in the stands to hear it. Here is our current version which is sung to our fight song music:'Akron Blue and Gold'We cheer the Akron Blue and GoldWe cheer as the colors unfold.We pledge anew, we all for you,As the team goes crashing throughFight! Fight!We cheer the Akron Warriors bold,For they're fighting a fight that's a sight to behold.So we stand up, cheer and shout,For the Akron Blue and Gold.Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Akron True Gold and Blue,All for you and the Zi-ips too!It's actually not too bad till the end. I submitted the following change to Proenza and he sent it to a committee death: We cheer the Akron Blue and GoldWe cheer as the colors unfold.We pledge anew, we all for you,As the team goes crashing throughFight! Fight!We cheer the Akron Warriors bold,For they're fighting a fight that's a sight to behold.So we stand up, cheer and shout,For the Akron Blue and Gold.Go-ooo! Akron, lead with our banner!Go-ooo! Akron, show them what matters!Akron True Gold and Blue,We will always remember you!
I have to say that I do prefer that ending better.
On another topic - what about the nickname Zips. In deference to Margaret Hamlin. It's so bad it's great. I get requests for gear that says 'Zips' on it all the time, but never one article that has our current logo.Additionally, what about having a kangaroo as a mascot. Do we have any Roo's in Ohio. What were they thinking. Not only that, but, kangaroos are about as dangerous as deer. I would vote to always keep Zippy around as a mascot, but again what were the alumni of old thinking? This one may also fall into the category of - so bad it's good.
As History goes, the kangaroo was chosen over other potential animal mascots because a kangaroo is "fast, strong, and agile all the traits a great athlete needs". Fortunately for us we didn't end up with a chicken hawk ala Can't or Turtle like Maryland. And if you take the time, look up kangaroo fights and see grown men taking on kangaroos (and getting their arses handed to them) back in the early 1900's before there ever was a PETA to protect the poor innocent creatures.
Lastly, should the University consider another logo change? Would going back to a circle or moving A be best?
Considering that merchandise sales took off with the change to "true" gold and blue, and the stylized logo change I would have to say a huge no on that. Would it be cool to have an "old school" option available with the Dennison "A" yes.

I've seen the old reels of those crazy kangaroo fights, but kangaroo's are not exactly preditory (except for grass and bugs) and there is no tie in to Northeast Ohio. I like the change to the 'true' blue and gold colors, but our gear sales took off because we won the MAC football championship several years ago, not necessarily because of the new logo.I'd like us to place 'AKRON' on all of our team jersy's, and go to some sort of a letter logo on our football helmets. If the University was considering a change, I'd probably vote to keep our nickname, for traditions sake (although I'd like to consider others with the rising new era of the University), but down play it on our team uniforms and play up the 'ZIPS' and 'ROO' format in the team shops for the fans.

I've seen the old reels of those crazy kangaroo fights, but kangaroo's are not exactly preditory (except for grass and bugs) and there is no tie in to Northeast Ohio. I like the change to the 'true' blue and gold colors, but our gear sales took off because we won the MAC football championship several years ago, not necessarily because of the new logo.
First, the logo change and apparrel sales happened two years prior to the MAC Championship, there was definitely and increase because of the Championship, and the Fear the Roo program has had a major impact on apparrel sales.
I'd like us to place 'AKRON' on all of our team jersy's, and go some sort of a letter logo on our football helmets. If the University was considering a change, I'd probably vote to keep our nickname, for traditions sake (although I'd like to consider others with the rising new era of the University), and downplay it on our team uniforms and play up the 'ZIPS' and 'ROO' format in the team shops for the fans.
I don't see this as a necessity, it's already starting to become identifiable as The University of Akron. Many schools simply have solid uniforms (OSU, Michigan, Penn State even lower tier teams go without the name of the school, because that is really kind of second rate in my opinionm it's very highschool) What we do need to do is go after CSU for infringing on the latest apparel logo.

before the zippers were shortened to zips i am pretty sure the song went zip go the zippers.......talk about double entendre :blink: as for the moving a....so happy they did away with that!!!!!!!! the logo looks great and the fear the roo slogan is the best the schools ever had! additional question. what new traditions do you think need to start with the new stadium? i know there was a past thread for this but am curious if anyone thought of anything new???? :screwks: PS ZIPPY IS THE COOLEST!

Take a look at our baseball team jersey on gozips.com. I think AKRON would look better than ZIPS across the front of their shirts. The ZIPS emblazzened across the jersey would look good on a Fraternity or intramural squad, not on a competitive Division I team.

ok so as a member of the marching band I feel the need to tell u UR WRONG! it is not "Akron True" It's "Akron U, Gold and Blue, and for you." I've confermed this with other band members. It also makes more since! So let's try to sing our fight song right! And :screwks:

ok so as a member of the marching band I feel the need to tell u UR WRONG! it is not "Akron True" It's "Akron U, Gold and Blue, and for you." I've confermed this with other band members. It also makes more since! So let's try to sing our fight song right! And :screwks:
Nope. It's officially "Akron true Gold and Blue." It's what is displayed when the lyrics are on the scoreboards at the JAR, and it's what is printed in the media guide.They changed it after the University changed their name. You band members are living twenty years in the past.http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...p;ATCLID=323404
University of Akron Fight SongAkron Blue and GoldWe cheer the Akron Blue and Gold, We cheer as the colors unfold,We pledge anew we're all for you,As the team goes crashing through,FIGHT! FIGHT!We cheer the Akron warriors bold,For a fight that's a sight to behold,So we stand up, and cheer and shoutFor the Akron Blue and Gold.Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Akron true Gold and Blue,All for you and the Zi--ips too!

Nope. It's officially "Akron true Gold and Blue." It's what is displayed when the lyrics are on the scoreboards at the JAR, and it's what is printed in the media guide.They changed it after the University changed their name. You band members are living twenty years in the past.http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...p;ATCLID=323404
University of Akron Fight SongAkron Blue and GoldWe cheer the Akron Blue and Gold, We cheer as the colors unfold,We pledge anew we're all for you,As the team goes crashing through, :thumb::thumb: FIGHT! FIGHT!We cheer the Akron warriors bold,For a fight that's a sight to behold,So we stand up, and cheer and shoutFor the Akron Blue and Gold.Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Zzzip! Zip go the Zi--ips!Akron true Gold and Blue,All for you and the Zi--ips too!
I believe uakronkid is correct. It says so right on this 32 oz plastic cup I keep in my office! :thumb:

as for the moving a....so happy they did away with that!!!!!!!! the logo looks great and the fear the roo slogan is the best the schools ever had! additional question. what new traditions do you think need to start with the new stadium? i know there was a past thread for this but am curious if anyone thought of anything new???? :screwks: PS ZIPPY IS THE COOLEST!
I'm with you GoZips19, I'm extremely happy they did away with the moving A. I like the current logo (the A Head); I don't understand when they make polo shirts why they don't have the logo with "The University of Akron" underneath it. I think that would look good.One new tradition that I've heard mentioned is the band marching from Gazetta Hall across campus to the stadium on game days.Zippy is the BEST.Also, does anyone know if there are words to "Win One for Akron"? (I think that's the song title, but I can never find lyrics for it.)And of course... :screwks:

I've seen the old reels of those crazy kangaroo fights, but kangaroo's are not exactly preditory (except for grass and bugs) and there is no tie in to Northeast Ohio. I like the change to the 'true' blue and gold colors, but our gear sales took off because we won the MAC football championship several years ago, not necessarily because of the new logo.I'd like us to place 'AKRON' on all of our team jersy's, and go to some sort of a letter logo on our football helmets. If the University was considering a change, I'd probably vote to keep our nickname, for traditions sake (although I'd like to consider others with the rising new era of the University), and downplay it on our team uniforms and play up the 'ZIPS' and 'ROO' format in the team shops for the fans.
No tie to North east Ohio!!! Better check your Ohio History. When white settlers first came to the area they were surprised to discover no Indian tribes inhabited the area. Turns out several tribes had attempted to live here but left after they suffered numerous casualties to bands of free-ranging kangaroos which roamed the area. The first territorial governor of the Northwest territories gained his position based on his promise to rid the area of the killer marsupials. Initially shooting and poisoning were tried unsuccessfully. Then a trapping program was successful in completely capturing all the pests. Some of the trapped roos were killed but representatives from PETA complained. So the last 100 animals were shipped to Australia where they multiplied like kangaroos, and the rest is history.

Also, does anyone know if there are words to "Win One for Akron"? (I think that's the song title, but I can never find lyrics for it.)
fight team fight team all in the game win old Akron glory and fame fight team fight and play with all your might tis for the gold and blue of Akron now we're off to concure or die win for Akron hear our battle cry near give in but fight them and win for dear old Akron U.and the name of the song is "Win for Akron"hopefully our team can win more than just "One" for us lolI tried singing the suggested end for the Blue and Gold but I think it's one verse short

There are several things I would like to see as part of game days once the stadium opens on campus.1. A Team Walk - The team will probably eat their pre-game meal at the Student Union or Martin Center so it would be a short walk and would get everyone a chance to see the team and get fired up before the game.2. Band and Cheerleaders Pre-game pep rally. I know they try to do that now at the Bowl but it is difficult because everyone is so scattered in the lots. Have it on Lee Jackson in a central spot.3. Bring back a parade and bonfire for Homecoming.4. Not in the tradition category but work with Goodyear to have the blimp up for every home game. You can't tell me a recruit from outside the region or state who doesn't see it regularly wouldn't feel a little extra "big time" atmosphere for the program and campus. Also, get the fresh bread scent cranked up for campus tours of recruits.5. Being in the stadium for kick off. Not trying to knock our students but at times we look like LA fans arriving late and leaving early. Pack the place from kick-off to the final gun.

Ok for those of you who are saying that the band people are living in the past you are correct. But if im not mistaken this thread is called UA TRADITIONS.........and arent traditions things that are from the past? Hmmmmm. Dumbasses! You want to sit here and tell the people in the band who have to have the 2 fight songs (yes i bet none of you knew there were 2 fight songs) and the alma matter (in 4 part harmony) memorized by the 2nd day of band camp, you want to sit there and tell us we are wrong? Well screw that! I believe that your little cup does say that because yes i have a couple of them as well. Thats a Cup, not the ACTUAL musical notes on the musical staff with the freaking words to the fight song. The dictionary defines tradition as the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice. The band does it every year the same way. This is why the band never shows up to anything really because you F_ _ _ers never pay attention in the first place and we dont get the respect that we deserve. Oh its halftime lets go do something else theres nothing going on at halftime. If thats your attitude im glad that im not in band anymore and im glad i will be sitting all alone in the stands watching the band at halftime. Other than that if you dont like what i said here i dont give to shits and if you dont agree with them then go to Can't and leave this place alone assholes.

I love the true gold and blue. The yellow sucks. Fortunately, I think the marketing department feels the same way.Unfortunately, I don't like the new logo system. I know we paid some $$$ to have someone design the new logos & fonts, but I just don't care for them. The "A w/ kangaroo head" logo does nothing for me. It looks neither like an A nor like a kangaroo head. Especially from any distance whatsoever. If someone points out that it's supposed to be an "A", you can say, "Oh, okay, I kinda see it now." But the kangaroo head simply looks like a donkey. And again, from any distance whatsoever it just looks like a blob. I don't care much for the font package either. Someone else pointed out that it doesn't look good on baseball uniforms. I agree. But the problem is not that the uniforms say "Zips," instead of saying "Akron." The problem is the font in which "Zips" is written. With that font "Akron," would not look good either. I'm more traditional, I guess. I'm much more into either cursive or block lettering - the traditional college athletics look, or major league baseball, or most NFL teams.The current logo & font scheme is more minor league-ish than a traditional college design. For instance, the Cleveland Gladiators probably wish they could use our font. The Cleveland Browns? Uh, no way; they would never want it.I also miss the old cartoonish Zippy that used to be on uniforms and merchandise - you remember, the one with Zippy running sideways, looking at the camera and holding up his index finger to say "Number 1!" It was perfect. It was cartoonish and old school and didn't take itself too seriously. Like the nickname Zips does, it doesn't take itself too seriously - as someone mentioned above, it's so bad that it's great, or something like that.But, whatever. I'm cool with anything as long as they keep the TRUE GOLD. NO YELLOW!!!!!!

Why couldn't our alums just have chosen a bear for our mascot (yes, bears were common here once - no offense Zippy). Then, we could all be saying 'da Bears' like the old Saturday Night Live skit.Who has the best uniforms in the MAC - I vote for Temple.Lastly, Pitt abandoned their trendy panther on the helmet set-up, which was similar to ours and went back to lettering. Good idea.

Also, does anyone know if there are words to "Win One for Akron"? (I think that's the song title, but I can never find lyrics for it.)
fight team fight team all in the game win old Akron glory and fame fight team fight and play with all your might tis for the gold and blue of Akron now we're off to concure or die win for Akron hear our battle cry near give in but fight them and win for dear old Akron U.and the name of the song is "Win for Akron"hopefully our team can win more than just "One" for us lolI tried singing the suggested end for the Blue and Gold but I think it's one verse short
I've never heard those lyrics! Where did you find them? I have an old book of Buchtel College music (ca. 1916) but none of the tunes in it are in use today in any form. I may have to go through it again just for kicks.

I believe that your little cup does say that because yes i have a couple of them as well. This is why the band never shows up to anything really because you F_ _ _ers never pay attention in the first place and we dont get the respect that we deserve.
Actually this cup isn't so small after all. All it needs is a little love and attention. (Hint: Think Linus in Charlie Brown Christmas) :D I understand your point on the band being slighted, but I for one enjoy each and every show.

I've never heard those lyrics! Where did you find them? I have an old book of Buchtel College music (ca. 1916) but none of the tunes in it are in use today in any form. I may have to go through it again just for kicks.
lets just say that all my years in marching band have finaly paid off ;) and incase you guys wanted some trivial knoledge then read this.the rendition of our fight song that EA sports uses is in fact an old version done in the key of b flat. (the euphonium part sounds alot like the meow mix song) and not the version that is played today. not the most important thing in the world but I was just bored enough to type it

AwesomeDude, take it easy.I didn't mean to disrespect anybody in the band. I know what you guys go through, and never intentionally put anybody down just because they are part of the band.I just meant to show that the official lyrics are a certain way, regardless of what people may choose to think it is. I just don't appreciate people coming into discussions with unsubstantiated claims like "UR WRONG" when all the easily obtainable evidence points to the correct answer. That goes for anything, not just Zips internet discussion boards.

Here's what everyone is looking for...http://www3.uakron.edu/bands/marching/resources/sounds.html

We cheer the Akron Blue and Gold,We cheer as the colors unfold.We pledge anew, we’re all for you,As the team goes crashing through.Fight! Fight!We cheer the Akron warriors bold,For a fight that’s a sight to behold.So we stand up, and cheer and shoutFor the Akron Blue and Gold.Zzzip! Zip go the Zippers.Zzzip! Zip go the Zippers, Akron U,Gold and Blue, All for you, and the Zippers too!We cheer the Akron Blue and Gold,We cheer as the colors unfold.We pledge anew, we’re all for you,As the team goes crashing through.Fight! Fight!We cheer the Akron warriors bold,For a fight that’s a sight to behold.So we stand up, and cheer and shoutFor the Akron Blue and Gold.
and for a "top secret" version often heard on those rainy days in October marching to practice... This was from 1983, back when a few of us here in ZipsNation were rookies in "Ohio's Pride".
We cheer the Akron Marching BandWe cheer while we're dripping with sweat;When we are out, the people shoutYou must be masochists !!!Right ! , Right !We cheer our finely balanced soundWe cheer as we blow our brains out,Keep those horns up,swing and snapIn the Akron Marching BandHow can Akron, Go on livingWi-it out, this band swinging?No one cares about the scoreBut when we play - They always cheer for MORE!