Interesting Quote from Proenza

You just beat me to the punch! I was just over at Ohio.com and had copied that link to post here. That's what we're all hoping for! The new Akron-Nike-LeBron Arena!
At least we were thinking the same thing as soon we saw that quote. :cheers:

Whatever it is, it's going to be huge. $150 million is almost 3x the size of out new FB stadium! The University can't afford it on its own. The only way we could be involved in such a project would be if it were a joint operation. A city-backed arena with a strong investment from both LeBron and Nike would be perfect, but I can also think of a few more things that it could be.

Whatever it is, it's going to be huge. $150 million is almost 3x the size of out new FB stadium! The University can't afford it on its own. The only way we could be involved in such a project would be if it were a joint operation. A city-backed arena with a strong investment from both LeBron and Nike would be perfect, but I can also think of a few more things that it could be.
Well considering the proposal that exists (arena, plus multipurpose commercial property) and considering that the Mayflower would probably be acquired in the process. $150 million isn't that big of a stretch. The Wolstein Center cost 55 million, and I'm pretty sure that Akron (the city) wants something similar in size.I would like to hear what your other "things" would be though.

I would like to hear what your other "things" would be though.
Well, for starters, there could be something to help attract NEOUCOM, like a joint building between UA and Summa, that would serve as a new College of Nursing building, since the current one is one of the most outdated, depressing buildings on campus. This is unlikely since there are no current plans that are drawn up, but it is a huge need.We could also see the start of the gated Fraternity/Sorority community on Spicer across from where the stadium and dorms will sit. This has already seen plans drawn up, and was announced even before the stadium complex.You might also see UA take over Central Hower after the APS has finished its high school renovations, and we could tear it down and replace it with a nice, new building. This could actually tie in perfectly with a new Nursing school building.The point is, we have many options available for expanding campus right now.I would prefer to see a new arena, but I wouldn't complain if any of the above scenarios happened first.

You just beat me to the punch! I was just over at Ohio.com and had copied that link to post here. That's what we're all hoping for! The new Akron-Nike-LeBron Arena!
I'm not sure if this arena is realistic at all. Akron-Nike-LeBron Arena???? I doubt it. I think the university is more focused on getting a med school more than anything else. It would be the best thing to happen if it happens.

I'm not sure if this arena is realistic at all. Akron-Nike-LeBron Arena???? I doubt it. I think the university is more focused on getting a med school more than anything else. It would be the best thing to happen if it happens.
I'm not throwing out the med school initiative. But we already know about the steps the city, county, University and Summa are taking to procure at least 2 major complexes to generate about $250 million in investments. It coincides with Akron's bio-medical corridor.I just think the $150 million investment is likely to be something outside the scope of the med school initiatives. Whether that is a hotel, shopping and arena, or that University has managed to bring in outside business partners to Akron is yet to be seen.

You might also see UA take over Central Hower after the APS has finished its high school renovations, and we could tear it down and replace it with a nice, new building. This could actually tie in perfectly with a new Nursing school building.
Not even in the slightest. As much as people hate the location of CH, APS is going to be using this as swing space for the next several years while schools are being demoed/renovated. Currently the school serves as a temporary East Senior High.*Something tells me the Summa/NEOUCOM option is the most likely choice.*When East moves back into their building in 2009, they will become a 7-12 school and Goodyear Middle will close.

$150 million dollar investment hmm....What could it be? You really have to wonder. I'd assume that anything that we invest in from here on out is going to contain more student residence halls. The University has been committed over the last few years to keeping more students on campus and it seems like every time we build a new dorm we fill it up just as quick. Outside of that I have no idea. In years past you would think maybe a new Student Union, new practice facilities, a new rec center, new football stadium. Well, guess what, check, check, check and check. They're all there already. The two most obvious choices are something involving the medical industry or a new basketball facility. I also wonder if maybe another satelite campus is in the works? I dunno, but I'm definitley looking forward to an announcment.Ohh, and thank god for LP. Without him this campus would still be nothing more than a glorified community college. The man just gets things done.

I agree with many of the posts. This has to do with the medical school or an arena. We really have not spent $150 million on one single project...not even close. That is a TON of money. This leads me to think that there are other parties involved, and these parties are either Summa or the city of Akron or both. A medical school would be HUGE.....just HUGE. It is the one missing piece to an already strong research campus. It makes too much sense. Most major schools have medical schools. It adds instantaneous prestige. This could even be bigger than a new arena. However, I would gladly take the arena as well. Just think about it. What school in the MAC can pump $150 million for an arena AND fund a new stadium (which will be the best in the MAC)?? I'm hoping this mystery project is either of the above.

Given the agenda of the current state administration, you better wear bigger pants when UA gets a med school so the monkeys have plenty of room to come flying out of your rear end.

Personally, I hope it is NOT a new BB arena and has something to do with academics. If we put 150 million into a BB facility, we should have just dropped 200 million on a very nice multipurpose indoor Soccer/BB/FB facility. Whatever it is, that is a LOT of money.

There was a mention in the article about a new student housing project for Sherman St., but I doubt that is it. I think it's probably more along the lines of an Akron NEOUCOM(P) branch campus that is focused on research. Could be on Market St. across from City Hosp. where the diner is that they just bought... or the old Mr Hero that was recently demo'ed. That would also put it by the new orthopaedic building... great location for research.