UA Recruits Win at Home Depot Center

Columbus Crew Academy U-18 squad defeated Capitol Area Soccer League (CASL) 2-0 in the first round (?) of the US Soccer Development Academy Nationals at Home Depot Center in Carson, CA (Calling L.A. Zip, get on your moped, and get down there!). Goals for CCSA were from New Mexico frosh-to-be Michael Green, and Akron Zip-to-be Thomas Schmitt. Crew also includes Akron 09 class verbals (so we are told) Ben Speas and Chad Barson, along with all-American and incoming Indiana freshman Nick Blevins.USSoccer.com says the finals will be broadcast on the ESPN networks -- probably meaning ESPNU. Maybe next weekend.Check it out on the US Soccer Youth blog at http://ynt-ussoccer.blogspot.com

Columbus Crew Academy U-18 squad defeated Capitol Area Soccer League (CASL) 2-0 in the first round (?) of the US Soccer Development Academy Nationals at Home Depot Center in Carson, CA (Calling L.A. Zip, get on your moped, and get down there!). Goals for CCSA were from New Mexico frosh-to-be Michael Green, and Akron Zip-to-be Thomas Schmitt. Crew also includes Akron 09 class verbals (so we are told) Ben Speas and Chad Barson, along with all-American and incoming Indiana freshman Nick Blevins.USSoccer.com says the finals will be broadcast on the ESPN networks -- probably meaning ESPNU. Maybe next weekend.Check it out on the US Soccer Youth blog at http://ynt-ussoccer.blogspot.com
Can you believe this? ESPNU is blanketing their Friday & Saturday schedule with Development Academy coverage! I might have to take a sick day. :Dhttp://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArtic...6.html#scheduleMonday's Crew vs LAFC game should be VERY interesting as LA had the best record in the league during the regular season -- and I guess its a home game for them. Can Sigi Schmidt's youngsters pull the upset in his ancestral homeland (UCLA).

Z.I.P., always a good read and yet another great post. I wish there were more die hard UA (or just general) futbol fans on this board. We'll have to meet up and sit in the stands together when UA is playing for the National Championship. Until then, :cheers:
Timmy,There's more on this board than you think. I met Z.I.P. in Hawaii on my vacation this Spring and had a great time talking Zips and having a few cold ones. :cheers: He's knowledgeable and should be a great companion for sitting in the stands watching the Zips play for a national title. Make room for me. I'll be there also.Keep your posts coming. They're great. Ya gotta love your passion for the Zips. :bow:

Z.I.P., always a good read and yet another great post. I wish there were more die hard UA (or just general) futbol fans on this board. We'll have to meet up and sit in the stands together when UA is playing for the National Championship. Until then, :cheers:
Odds are I won't be able to make it unless the College Cup is played on the West Coast -- an unlikely scenario. Find me in the stands at UNM Soccer stadium in Albuquerque 9/12/08.I've noticed how many universities have "double-service" track & field and soccer fields. The place they play in Cowlumbus; Drake Field at UCLA; New Mexico's place are all track stadiums first. So the idea that Akron is at a disadvantage because they don't have a major soccer-only facility may not be that big a thing. It doesn't appear to be hampering Caleb's ability to recruit future pro players.BTW -- did anyone see the 16 year old Ethiopian, Ibrahim score for Toronto FC vs the Chicago Fire yesterday? Bob Bradley better get that kid's immigration documents to his doorstep, like now, man! Hurry before the Canadians get there first.

Odds are I won't be able to make it unless the College Cup is played on the West Coast -- an unlikely scenario. Find me in the stands at UNM Soccer stadium in Albuquerque 9/12/08.I've noticed how many universities have "double-service" track & field and soccer fields. The place they play in Cowlumbus; Drake Field at UCLA; New Mexico's place are all track stadiums first. So the idea that Akron is at a disadvantage because they don't have a major soccer-only facility may not be that big a thing. It doesn't appear to be hampering Caleb's ability to recruit future pro players.BTW -- did anyone see the 16 year old Ethiopian, Ibrahim score for Toronto FC vs the Chicago Fire yesterday? Bob Bradley better get that kid's immigration documents to his doorstep, like now, man! Hurry before the Canadians get there first.
I saw a replay of Ibrahim's goal after the game on FSC. It was impressive indeed, but I may have even been more impressed with how this kid handled the interview after the game. He seems to be extremely calm and mature for his age.

I recently moved to the Albuquerque area. I plan to be at the UNM soccer tournament as well. Anyone who is coming to this area should send me an email and I'll give you my phone number so you can call me when you get here. I would love to get together with you guys to talk Zips and throw back a few cold ones. Be careful with drinking and driving here though. I have been told that the local police here have zero tolerance for DWI. I have even seen police road blocks designed to randomly check for drunk drivers on Friday and Saturday nights.

Can you believe this? ESPNU is blanketing their Friday & Saturday schedule with Development Academy coverage! I might have to take a sick day. :Dhttp://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArtic...6.html#scheduleMonday's Crew vs LAFC game should be VERY interesting as LA had the best record in the league during the regular season -- and I guess its a home game for them. Can Sigi Schmidt's youngsters pull the upset in his ancestral homeland (UCLA).-----------------Nice game by the Crew Academy today -- they drew with LA Football Club, 1-1. Goal scored by? Lobo-bound Mike Green! Hmmm, 2 goals in 2 games. We'll find out on 9/12 if he can score against ZIP FC.To win their pool, Crew needs to beat Concorde FC from Wash-state by 6 goals in their final pool game -- 6-0 was LAFC's margin over Concorde. You have to sin your pool to play for the title on Friday. In any case, the team will be on ESPNU or ESPN2 Friday. If you want to see the future of American futbol catch these games.Click for details of today's competition. http://www.ussoccer.com/common/stContent.j...Week08Sked.html

I recently moved to the Albuquerque area. I plan to be at the UNM soccer tournament as well. Anyone who is coming to this area should send me an email and I'll give you my phone number so you can call me when you get here. I would love to get together with you guys to talk Zips and throw back a few cold ones. Be careful with drinking and driving here though. I have been told that the local police here have zero tolerance for DWI. I have even seen police road blocks designed to randomly check for drunk drivers on Friday and Saturday nights.
Well, that makes two of us. I've found in the past that there are a number of Akron parents and local followers who turn out to see the team on the West Coast. I haven't contacted the soccer office yet, so don't know where the team is staying. Be careful, or you might get invited to host the squad! In portland the team was fortunate enough to stay in a West Portland mountain home owned by a former Zip footballer. Check out the Columbus Crew Academy which feature somewhere between 3-5 future Akron players, depending on circumstances. Friday on ESPNU or ESPN2 (if they finish pool play in the top 2). Go Crew. Go Zips!

Click link to US Development Academy Finals: http://www.ussoccer.com/common/stContent.j...Week08Sked.htmlColumbus Crew Academy -- team featuring Thomas Schmitt, Chad Barson, Mike Green, and sometimes Ben Speas, wins final 2-1 over Concorde Fire of Washinton-state, and finishes third overall with two wins and a draw vs LA Football Club, but loses out for first in Pool 'B' to LA FC, as they finish +3 goals to LAFC's +9 in goal differrential.One benefit of being second: Prime time TV spot at 8:30 Friday evening on ESPNU for third place in the US Development Academy's first year. Please PASS THE WORD -- you don't get to see a preview of the future of US soccer -- or Akron soccer -- very often. This is it!