ESPN Article on the Zips (and LeBron)

AK-Zips

One of the best things about this is that it's one of the lead stories being rotated on ESPN.com's front page. It's as close to free advertising as you get, and I'm sure it's gnawing at the BCS schools to see the unofficial Lebron/UA connection in the news once again.

One of the best things about this is that it's one of the lead stories being rotated on ESPN.com's front page. It's as close to free advertising as you get, and I'm sure it's gnawing at the BCS schools to see the unofficial Lebron/UA connection in the news once again.
It's starting to irk a few OSU fans, that's for sure.A really good way to help promote this whole thing is to leave comments on the page. More comments means more exposure, and helps keep this story in the spotlight longer.

The great thing about this article is watching fans of other conference teams squirm a little bit. Especially those for the school which shall not be named. There's a little bit of "well he's only here 'cause KD is .. and KD's gonna leave and then so will LBJ" as well as "LBJ doesn't really have an allegience to Akron (the city) it's only out of convenience .. once he's on the Nets, that will end."Combine that with the response to the Marshall commitment and it's a little entertaining over @ the conference forums. Folks can't decide whether to beat the "It's a great thing for the entire conference" drum, or the "it won't really work out for the Zips, it's a fluke and the guy won't pan out" drum. You can't really pick both ..Go Zips.

One of the consequences of having this article more visible is an increased number of trolls commenting on it.And yes, the reaction is fun to watch on the MAC boards. They don't really know what to think about it.
It is funny...there's a thread on just about every one of the main boards for MAC teams that I know. Can we compile a list?OU: www.bobcatattack.comMiami: www.miamihawktalk.comK-e-n-t: www.ncaabbs.comAnyone know any of the other "main" message boards?

Now, should Lebron happen to have personal contact with a recruiting target on Akron's behalf (for example, make or take a phone call) that opens up a potential world of hurt coming down from the NCAA far more damaging than any "association".
That sounds right, but I have a question. Is that true, since LeBron was never in the NCAA nor an alumni or even registrant at any NCAA institution? Granted, the rules of recruitment apply to the school and thus penalize the school, not the the individual, but if the individual is acting on his own and not with any collusion with the school, is that really a violation?

Now, should Lebron happen to have personal contact with a recruiting target on Akron's behalf (for example, make or take a phone call) that opens up a potential world of hurt coming down from the NCAA far more damaging than any "association".
That sounds right, but I have a question. Is that true, since LeBron was never in the NCAA nor an alumni or even registrant at any NCAA institution? Granted, the rules of recruitment apply to the school and thus penalize the school, not the the individual, but if the individual is acting on his own and not with any collusion with the school, is that really a violation?
If you can be construed as a "booster" of the school, you fall under NCAA regulations. Note the pinned topics in the FB & BB recruiting forums. If LeBron has donated to the UA Athletic Department, then he can be considered a "booster" and the rules of contact apply.The great thing about the original quote cited by zen is that it comes from a group of folks vigorously defending Rob Sendheroff (sp?) and Can't State's decision to bring him back, after he was involved in the recruiting / phone call scandal at IU. Poetry.

Loved the article, but I think my favorite thing might be the post on Can't's thread where one person can't possibly imagine how a recruit in their right mind would pick Akron over Can't. Well for one thing, Can't would actually have to start recruiting HS kids instead of the JUCO's. Beyond that, let's see. How many highly rated recruits will Can't even get into their gym? Akron is guaranteed to get around 80 a year. Who is the face of Can't basketball? Antonio Gates? A guy who's currently playing football? Surely not as impressive as an NBA All-Star. What about their coaching situation? Seems like every few years they shuffle one coach out and another one in, that can't sit too well with recruits. Meanwhile we've got a guy who's 110% committed to his program for the long haul. What about the administrations investment into it's athletic programs. Can't has made minimal progress if any at upgrading facilities while Akron beginning to run circles around the rest of the conference. What does Can't have? A string of 20+ win seasons (we're working on our own). A trip to the elite eight that noone remembers. An all time record for scoring futility in a half for an NCAA tournament game? It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

I know we are getting off subject here, bu I'm not so sure I would call Cant's basketball accomplishments in the last 10+ years "comical". If we had their same success we would be struting around with our chests out letting everyone know about it. We have had some REGULAR season success of late, with a decent NIT run last year and most of us are proud of that. No matter how much we hate them, you have to give them props for 10 straight 20 win seasons, several NCAA appearances that include that elite 8 run that we would love to have on our resume (all of which has been done despite the numerous coaching changes). I honestly have never understood the slight that Can't gets nationally when they talk about succesful Mid Major programs. I guess it goes with the other posts concerning the MAC being seen as a joke.

Loved the article, but I think my favorite thing might be the post on Can't's thread where one person can't possibly imagine how a recruit in their right mind would pick Akron over Can't. Well for one thing, Can't would actually have to start recruiting HS kids instead of the JUCO's. Beyond that, let's see. How many highly rated recruits will Can't even get into their gym? Akron is guaranteed to get around 80 a year. Who is the face of Can't basketball? Antonio Gates? A guy who's currently playing football? Surely not as impressive as an NBA All-Star. What about their coaching situation? Seems like every few years they shuffle one coach out and another one in, that can't sit too well with recruits. Meanwhile we've got a guy who's 110% committed to his program for the long haul. What about the administrations investment into it's athletic programs. Can't has made minimal progress if any at upgrading facilities while Akron beginning to run circles around the rest of the conference. What does Can't have? A string of 20+ win seasons (we're working on our own). A trip to the elite eight that noone remembers. An all time record for scoring futility in a half for an NCAA tournament game? It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.
I think Lebron James is nothing but good for Akron, but it will not be what makes or breaks you. The shuffling of coaches is what happens due to success and the conference being the MAC. Akron's coach, along with any MAC coach, will most likely leave when the opportunity arises. As far as upgrades to facilities, I really do have to say you don't know what you are talking about. Within the last 5 years, K.e.n.t. State has made major renovations to all of its facilities and continues to do so. Our baseball field is one of the top in the MAC, that was recently completed Upgraded Baseball Field (your forum changes the word K.e.n.t. to "Can't" so this link won't work unless you change "Can't to K.e.n.t.), our NEW field hockey field is very nice Field Hockey, our golf facilities and training centers are some of the best in the country New Golf Center, the MACC center has been kept up nicely with minor renovations, new score boards and jumbo-trons. The field house is relatively new and is getting new turf this year. Our football stadium is finishing phase two of a multi-million dollar renovation (pics are located on Dix Stadium feed at NCAABBS.com. The last facility that would need a major renovation would be our MACC center and it is in the works, along with a dedicated basketball practice facility. K.e.n.t's new President has put the emphasis on academics and has increased the funding for more research and more faculty. As a student at K.e.n.t. State, that makes me happy. I for one am proud of the way K.e.n.t. State has managed to keep its facilities up and very competitive while keeping student cost down and being very smart about it. Akron is making major strides, but outside of the private funding for the new stadium, I as a student would worry about the recent news about Akron's bond rating being at risk because of the outrageous spending by the administration. I understand it takes money to get ahead but, with the trend for NE ohio going the way it is and the expected decline in traditional aged students in the next 10 years, it might be time to be a little conservative with the spending?No disrespect meant in this post, just trying to set the record clear on K.e.n.t. State's facilities, a little research might be warranted before making assumptions.Off note, I'm excited to see the new stadium, hopefully I will be in this part of the United States next year...

The shuffling of coaches is what happens due to success and the conference being the MAC. Akron's coach, along with any MAC coach, will most likely leave when the opportunity arises. As far as upgrades to facilities, I really do have to say you don't know what you are talking about.
Welcome aboard. Good to have you here.Nice post & thanks for setting the record straight on your facilities. The thing that lots of folks are NOT aware of is Can't State's level of success in the non-revenue generating sports. Their Reese/Jacoby results speak for themselves. This success demands and deserves good facilities. Porter will hopefully get this for Men's Futbol soon.But in a similar fashion, "I really do have to say you don't know what you are talking about" regarding KD and a quick exit. This belief (or is it hope?) that fans of other conference teams have that KD is quick to the door reflects a lack of understanding of his vision, plan & commitment for UofA and the men's hoops program. It is wishful thinking on your part to believe that KD is out the door with the next high-level offer.Will he be here forever? Perhaps not .. but at the moment he's got the support of the University, administration & community to try and make his vision for Akron Basketball a reality. I personally believe that if these things continue & he feels his efforts are being rewarded / supported in the right way .. he'll continue to be here. Should those things change (see: Huggins, Bob, 1989), then he should look elsewhere, because he deserves nothing but the best support and opportunity.Moving the program upstream competitively & facility wise will likewise move it upstream as far as prestige / compensation & opportunity is concerned. There's 2 ways to be the coach of a high level D1 team: #1 Win at each level and keep moving up until you get your shot at an elite gig (see Pearl, Bruce or Matta, Thad). #2 Transform the program you run into one of those high level D1 schools (see Monson, Dan). For now, KD is working on #2 .. and it's a process, not a quick return.Just my $0.02 ..

The shuffling of coaches is what happens due to success and the conference being the MAC. Akron's coach, along with any MAC coach, will most likely leave when the opportunity arises. As far as upgrades to facilities, I really do have to say you don't know what you are talking about.
Welcome aboard. Good to have you here.Nice post & thanks for setting the record straight on your facilities. The thing that lots of folks are NOT aware of is Can't State's level of success in the non-revenue generating sports. Their Reese/Jacoby results speak for themselves. This success demands and deserves good facilities. Porter will hopefully get this for Men's Futbol soon.But in a similar fashion, "I really do have to say you don't know what you are talking about" regarding KD and a quick exit. This belief (or is it hope?) that fans of other conference teams have that KD is quick to the door reflects a lack of understanding of his vision, plan & commitment for UofA and the men's hoops program. It is wishful thinking on your part to believe that KD is out the door with the next high-level offer.Will he be here forever? Perhaps not .. but at the moment he's got the support of the University, administration & community to try and make his vision for Akron Basketball a reality. I personally believe that if these things continue & he feels his efforts are being rewarded / supported in the right way .. he'll continue to be here. Should those things change (see: Huggins, Bob, 1989), then he should look elsewhere, because he deserves nothing but the best support and opportunity.Moving the program upstream competitively & facility wise will likewise move it upstream as far as prestige / compensation & opportunity is concerned. There's 2 ways to be the coach of a high level D1 team: #1 Win at each level and keep moving up until you get your shot at an elite gig (see Pearl, Bruce or Matta, Thad). #2 Transform the program you run into one of those high level D1 schools (see Monson, Dan). For now, KD is working on #2 .. and it's a process, not a quick return.Just my $0.02 ..
Fair enough. haha.I think its the hope of every MAC school to keep their coach. I personally was a little surprised JC left for TCU... a lot of fans thought he was going to be comfortable here...Only time will say.