More campus demolition

With the south side of the building removed can the alumni on this message board identify this buiding that is being demolished? This picture was taken Sunday (3.30.08) about 1pm. A crew of about 8 were working the project on the weekend.
It has to be Caroll Hall. I believe that is the only demo project going on.

Is there something planned to be built there along E. Market?
I'm not sure, but the Mr. Hero going down is a good sign. I have felt for a while that we should bring the beauty of the campus to that run down area as well. UA's main borders should be from the traintracks/downtown, to Route 8, and from Exchange to Market. Heading towards Market is the only real way to expand wothout cutting the campus into chunks geographically due to main roads or natural barriers.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there something planned to be built there along E. Market?
I'm not sure, but the Mr. Hero going down is a good sign. I have felt for a while that we should bring the beauty of the campus to that run down area as well. UA's main borders should be from the traintracks/downtown, to Route 8, and from Exchange to Market. Heading towards Market is the only real way to expand wothout cutting the campus into chunks geographically due to main roads or natural barriers.
The way it's expanding, the U's new borders will go from Lakemore to Bath...not that there's anything wrong with that.Let's make education our new "rubber."

• 3 weeks later...
That's amazing! I hate those buff brick buildings. Are they going to take out Memorial?
Rumor has it they will. I'm not sure if there is another building planned for there or just green space.
I wanna guess that they will not build where carroll hall was. If you look at a overhead view of the spot, it looks like they should just complete all the walkways that seem as though they would naturally progress through it based on the current design , including finishing the path from the rec center toward the student union.I would imagine that you would want to build something where memorial hall is.http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

I like Memoria Hall, and would love to see some kind of basketball game there. Exhibition maybe? Lots of room for intramurals. Sure Memorial could use some renovations, and the exterior needs some dressing up, but I see no reason to tear the place down.

That's amazing! I hate those buff brick buildings. Are they going to take out Memorial?
Rumor has it they will. I'm not sure if there is another building planned for there or just green space.

Recently I talked with some people in the development office for the college of education. They confirmed that a new education building will be built on the space once occupied by Carroll Hall and Memorial Hall, which wiill be razed. There will be more green space around the new education building. That increased green space will be complimented by the new 4.6 acre outdoor living room that will form the south entrance to Buchtel Hall. Once again our campus is growing in beauty and service to students. When the fans flock to Info to see games they will be amazed at the campus they find.It seems like it will never stop. You better believe the schools we compete against are aware of this transformation also. It is only a question of time before Dr. Proenza has us dominating the MAC. Now if J.D. can only prove he can coach. ;)

You're absolutely right. On another thread, Zeke Marshall's mom posted a link to some Pitt Panther fans who were upset that Zeke had verballed with Akron. I guess they were dissing us pretty bad (I didn't read posts from the link.) But I would guarantee those fans don't know what they're talking about if they're dissing on our campus. It's beautiful now! Honestly, most of the people in Summit & Stark counties don't yet know how beautiful the campus is - let alone folks from Pittsburgh. I think The Info will act as our greatest PR move in years - getting people to campus, giving them all an eyeful, and getting the community united behind the UA Zips.

One of the goals was to keep open a clear view from Buchtel Hall onto Lee Jackson Field and vice versa so any new building wouldn't cover the same footprint as Carroll Hall, it would be shifted east. With Memorial Hall gone that shouldn't be a problem. There's not much need to keep the Memorial gym since there are new basketball courts in the Rec Center. It just needs to be replaced for growth reasons. The WW2 serviceman name plaques should of course be preserved and moved to the JAR or student center or maybe even remain at the same location on the new education building.