More campus demolition

Remember folks, all this construction comes at a price. As with almost everyone here, I am very impressed with the improvments so far, but I do have some concern with how heavily leveraged the univeristy is right now. There have been a LOT of bonds issued to pay for the construction so far, and at some point, we've got to pay for this stuff. Is 10 years of construction worth 30 years of stagnation????

Remember folks, all this construction comes at a price. As with almost everyone here, I am very impressed with the improvments so far, but I do have some concern with how heavily leveraged the univeristy is right now. There have been a LOT of bonds issued to pay for the construction so far, and at some point, we've got to pay for this stuff. Is 10 years of construction worth 30 years of stagnation????
The main goals of all this construction are to increase attendance and attract more businesses to invest in the University. It's a gamble, but the thinking is that this is an investment that will pay for itself in the future.

The "outdoor living room" is a gift to UA by a generous donor (I can't recall the name at the moment).

The "outdoor living room" is a gift to UA by a generous donor (I can't recall the name at the moment).
The Vidicator always has the answer

I'm excited that it has a fountain. I love fountains - the more the better. Anyone know how big the fountain is going to be? I've seen the bird's eye view of the plans, but do we have a, I don't know what it's called, a horizontal(?) view of the design.And I'm pretty amped up to see how they incorporate the new soccer stadium with the outdoor living room space. We may end up having the most beautiful soccer stadium & pitch setting in the country!

I'm excited that it has a fountain. I love fountains - the more the better. Anyone know how big the fountain is going to be? I've seen the bird's eye view of the plans, but do we have a, I don't know what it's called, a horizontal(?) view of the design.And I'm pretty amped up to see how they incorporate the new soccer stadium with the outdoor living room space. We may end up having the most beautiful soccer stadium & pitch setting in the country!
You can kind of see a bit of it in the foreground of the illustration for the proposed soccer stadium here

I guess I was aware of the donation for the "Outdoor Living Room", but I was not aware that Memorial Hall was going to be demolished and replaced by another building. This is where my concern is. I also understand that all of the construction is necessary to make the University more attractive to current students and improve enrollment. Believe me, I think the rennovations that have taken place already were desperately needed! I also am one who believes in moderation, and we have done a HELL of a lot of building in the past decade with what appears to be no end in sight. I think it is time to scale back, build a new building every 5 years or so and start to pay down some of this debt. $60 million for a new stadium, tens of millions more for dorms around the stadium, purchasing Quaker Square, that's a lot of money for what is basically going on right now. Add to this a replacement for Memorial Hall, a new arena, and potentially some additional money for this $150 million dollar surprise, and we're talking some serious cash above and beyond the $300+ million that was initially invested.

I guess I was aware of the donation for the "Outdoor Living Room", but I was not aware that Memorial Hall was going to be demolished and replaced by another building. This is where my concern is. I also understand that all of the construction is necessary to make the University more attractive to current students and improve enrollment. Believe me, I think the rennovations that have taken place already were desperately needed! I also am one who believes in moderation, and we have done a HELL of a lot of building in the past decade with what appears to be no end in sight. I think it is time to scale back, build a new building every 5 years or so and start to pay down some of this debt. $60 million for a new stadium, tens of millions more for dorms around the stadium, purchasing Quaker Square, that's a lot of money for what is basically going on right now. Add to this a replacement for Memorial Hall, a new arena, and potentially some additional money for this $150 million dollar surprise, and we're talking some serious cash above and beyond the $300+ million that was initially invested.
Methinks (always wanted to use that in a post) you don't have an accurate picture of all that is going on. The Outdoor Living Room is funded by Mrs Coleman and other sources that will not hurt our bond rating. Quaker Square was purchased by the U of A Foundation for the university, not from UA's budget or bond dollars. We are not replacing Memorial Hall. We are tearing it down to make room for a college of education building that will sit on part of the footprint of Carroll and Memorial halls. The education building has been budgeted for. No new arena is planned, that is just the fans getting way ahead of reality and specualting with no facts to back it up. The $150 million surprise Proenza teased us about is more associated with a private developer bringing commercial, retail and residential plans to the university district. Again, that doesn't affect our bond rating. Has UA increased its debt, yes. Is is a wise financial move, you bet. It is manageable and well within responsible fiscal management.The return will be fantastic. :thumb: