Akron Sports Now

GP1

Also, I think you're doing a good job with ASN R4R. UA athletics can use all of the attention they can get. You're definitely doing your part for UA sports. I know you guys have been covering the city series and then some during football season, but I was wondering if you'd be doing the same for hoops? Lots of basketball talent in this area too!

Thanks....and YES we are going to be covering a lot of hoops. Football was tough this year as we got in the game late but basketball should be good. There is a lot of good talent in the area, girls and guys...hopefully some state titles for the area.

Also, anyone interested in Summit County HS football should check out the Turkey Day Summit County All-Star game on Thursday at St. V. No Buchtel players obviously but still should be a very cool event.

p.s. Working on adding some new writers as well (looking for some btw if anyone is majoring in some sort of media, is a good writer, or just wants to as a hobby...message me or email at mike@akronsportsnow.com)

Hey RootforRoo44, as a blogger perhaps you could look into this and get some answers. The Summit County All-Star game was originally announced as a Summit v. Stark County All-Star game which I was incredibly stoked about. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed when it failed to materialize. Could you do a little digging and find out why Stark County either bailed or was un-invited?

Also, I think you're doing a good job with ASN R4R. UA athletics can use all of the attention they can get. You're definitely doing your part for UA sports. I know you guys have been covering the city series and then some during football season, but I was wondering if you'd be doing the same for hoops? Lots of basketball talent in this area too!

Thanks....and YES we are going to be covering a lot of hoops. Football was tough this year as we got in the game late but basketball should be good. There is a lot of good talent in the area, girls and guys...hopefully some state titles for the area.

Also, anyone interested in Summit County HS football should check out the Turkey Day Summit County All-Star game on Thursday at St. V. No Buchtel players obviously but still should be a very cool event.

p.s. Working on adding some new writers as well (looking for some btw if anyone is majoring in some sort of media, is a good writer, or just wants to as a hobby...message me or email at mike@akronsportsnow.com)

Hey RootforRoo44, as a blogger perhaps you could look into this and get some answers. The Summit County All-Star game was originally announced as a Summit v. Stark County All-Star game which I was incredibly stoked about. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed when it failed to materialize. Could you do a little digging and find out why Stark County either bailed or was un-invited?

No problem...ill get back to you. I was actually wondering the same thing.

No problem...ill get back to you. I was actually wondering the same thing.

Awesome. Thank you!

"Blue and Gold", I talked to one of the organizers for the Turkey Day game and I found out the reason behind the change from Stark vs. Summit to just a Summit County All-Star game.

The main reason was due to Stark County already having their own all star game.

As you may know, in football the kids are only allowed to play in two all star games prior to their freshman year in college. The organizers (NLSD) didn't want to place so many kids in a situation where they would have to choose between the Stark County game and the Turkey Day game, as many would possibly be chosen to play in the Big 33, North-South game, etc.. as well.

Also, a result of having the game being exclusively Summit County also allowed the game include twice as many local kids and give them some more exposure as well.

All in all, a pretty good reason i think.

Btw, they are definitely going to be having the game again next year.

• 11 years later...
On 12/13/2010 at 10:14 PM, michaeljhix said:

I'm also not sure if I understand the analogy, but who cares? I'm honored to be mentioned at all on this forum almost four years after I graduated from Akron. And you spelled my name correctly, to boot. Fantastic! For the record, I graduated with Kadar and Rasor, but I won't hold it against you. I also miss the Buchtelite glory days. Thanks for the shout out, and go ZIPS!

Mike Hixenbaugh

Mike won a Peabody Award for his work on Southlake

https://www.nbcnews.com/southlake-podcast