Akron Sports Now

GP1

Someone else posted this on another thread, but I believe this guy deserves his own thread. This link will allow you to read an article by a guy named Mike who writes for Akron Sports Now. I don't agree with everything he writes, but I love the writing style. He is informed, interesting and can have a sharp pen. Akron sports needs a sports writer like this. The guys at the ABJ are either not interested in the Zips sports or they are bought by the University. Either way, it doesn't do much for the University.

I hope this guy keeps on keeping on. Nice work.

It reads like a play-by-play interspersed with comments by disgruntled fans on ZN.O, kind of a merging of an AP wire story and an angry sports fan forum. It's great that fans care enough to take the time to create a website like that and do the work of producing alternative sports news/opinion. Well done website.

is this the same Mike that used to write for the buchtelite?

No. The Mike from the buchtelite is actually writing for a smaller newspaper in the Carolinas.

Calling Root4Roo...Earth to Root4Roo, ovah. :D

haha, somehow i missed this thread. And no i am not the Mike you are thinking of zipseuph. You are thinking of Mike Hixenbaugh i believe, he was a fantastic writer way back when for the Buchtelite. ZachtheZips is right as well, he has gone pro.

Someone else posted this on another thread, but I believe this guy deserves his own thread. This link will allow you to read an article by a guy named Mike who writes for Akron Sports Now. I don't agree with everything he writes, but I love the writing style. He is informed, interesting and can have a sharp pen. Akron sports needs a sports writer like this. The guys at the ABJ are either not interested in the Zips sports or they are bought by the University. Either way, it doesn't do much for the University.

I hope this guy keeps on keeping on. Nice work.

Thanks, I appreciate the plug GP1 and if they paid me enough I could be bought (hint hint). Until then i'll keep speaking my mind and I definitely won't expect the great GP1 to agree with me on everything, just that :screwks:

Mike Hixenbaugh? The Pat Nicely of Journalism? No thanks.

The Buchtelite desperately suffered terribly after Kadar and Rasor.

wow, ouch.

Well i will agree that recently the Buchtelite isn't doing so well.

There's not nearly as many articles and it seems to be suffering from a lack of original pieces.

...allow you to read an article by a guy named Mike who writes for Akron Sports Now.
Is the photo of the tailgate lot accurate? Looks pretty light out to be "around the time of kickoff"????

Lot 9 was dark around kickoff time, and it had tailgaters in it.

lot.png

What makes one the Pat Nicely of Journalism per se?

Is it completing around 40% of your stories? Writing some for a rival paper a couple times a year (comparable to an INT)?

Or is it knowing that there's a reserve that should at least get a chance instead of you? Having untalented readers (receivers) around you?

Having a poor editor (coach)?

I'm not making the connection here...

"At halftime fans would be treated to the most boring marching band halftime show in recent memory as Ohio’s Pride would put everyone in attendance to sleep with OPERA MUSIC. Yes, as if the football team wasn’t bad enough, the band has to add to the misery with 19th century opera music."

:rofl:

"At halftime fans would be treated to the most boring marching band halftime show in recent memory as Ohio’s Pride would put everyone in attendance to sleep with OPERA MUSIC. Yes, as if the football team wasn’t bad enough, the band has to add to the misery with 19th century opera music."

Well, we do have a Wagner as our lead "composer".

Well, we do have a Wagner as our lead "composer".

Good to see those Western Cult classes finally paid off!! :lol:

...allow you to read an article by a guy named Mike who writes for Akron Sports Now.
Is the photo of the tailgate lot accurate? Looks pretty light out to be "around the time of kickoff"????

lot.png

I was thinking this was meant to be funny, especially since I don't recognize the lot at all. But thanks for pointing out the lack of darkness too.

lot.png

I was thinking this was meant to be funny, especially since I don't recognize the lot at all. But thanks for pointing out the lack of darkness too.

Exactly...it was a joke. I completely forgot to take a picture of the tailgate lot before the game. It was sickening though to see the lot about 1/4th full with very few tailgaters. The few that were there did seem to be cooking up something fantastic however.

What makes one the Pat Nicely of Journalism per se?

Is it completing around 40% of your stories? Writing some for a rival paper a couple times a year (comparable to an INT)?

Or is it knowing that there's a reserve that should at least get a chance instead of you? Having untalented readers (receivers) around you?

Having a poor editor (coach)?

I'm not making the connection here...

My apologies to Mr. Hixenbaugh. . . After thinking back a little ways, it was actually another columnist that some of us were not a fan of because the column was pretty unoriginal most weeks, Mike was just the most recognizable face from the Buchtelite at that time I think.

Anyway.. I know that many members of the Buchtelite staff have worked very hard to put their best product out there. The connection (for me anyway) is that when I was an undergrad at ol' UA, The Buchtelite showed a lot of promise with some very good columns, but now it seems like it has really been lacking the creativity and passion that once was there.

The comparison to Pat was just that many people around the MAC were keyed up last season about how good Pat could be, but this year has been somewhat of a letdown (like the Buchtelite recently). I'm just hoping that both The Buchtelite and Pat meet or exceed their potential in the years to come.

I really didn't want to come off as being totally negative about young writers. They need all the encouragement they can get, believe me, I was once one of them. I've just become old and bitter I guess. :P

Also, I think you're doing a good job with ASN R4R. UA athletics can use all of the attention they can get. You're definitely doing your part for UA sports. I know you guys have been covering the city series and then some during football season, but I was wondering if you'd be doing the same for hoops? Lots of basketball talent in this area too!

Also, I think you're doing a good job with ASN R4R. UA athletics can use all of the attention they can get. You're definitely doing your part for UA sports. I know you guys have been covering the city series and then some during football season, but I was wondering if you'd be doing the same for hoops? Lots of basketball talent in this area too!

Thanks....and YES we are going to be covering a lot of hoops. Football was tough this year as we got in the game late but basketball should be good. There is a lot of good talent in the area, girls and guys...hopefully some state titles for the area.

Also, anyone interested in Summit County HS football should check out the Turkey Day Summit County All-Star game on Thursday at St. V. No Buchtel players obviously but still should be a very cool event.

p.s. Working on adding some new writers as well (looking for some btw if anyone is majoring in some sort of media, is a good writer, or just wants to as a hobby...message me or email at mike@akronsportsnow.com)

• 3 weeks later...

The Buchtelite desperately suffered terribly after Kadar and Rasor.

I'm also not sure if I understand the analogy, but who cares? I'm honored to be mentioned at all on this forum almost four years after I graduated from Akron. And you spelled my name correctly, to boot. Fantastic! For the record, I graduated with Kadar and Rasor, but I won't hold it against you. I also miss the Buchtelite glory days. Thanks for the shout out, and go ZIPS!

Mike Hixenbaugh

Thanks....and YES we are going to be covering a lot of hoops. Football was tough this year as we got in the game late but basketball should be good. There is a lot of good talent in the area, girls and guys...hopefully some state titles for the area.

Also, anyone interested in Summit County HS football should check out the Turkey Day Summit County All-Star game on Thursday at St. V. No Buchtel players obviously but still should be a very cool event.

Hey RootforRoo44, perhaps as a blogger you could look into this and find some answers. The Summit County All-Star game was originally announced as a Summit v. Stark County All-Star game. I was really quite stoked about the event and very disappointed when it failed to materialize. Could you find out why Stark County apparently bailed?

p.s. Working on adding some new writers as well (looking for some btw if anyone is majoring in some sort of media, is a good writer, or just wants to as a hobby...message me or email at mike@akronsportsnow.com)