New Movie 'More Than A Game'

Dr Z

• 11 months later...

The movie opens in October. Should be interesting for most Zips/Cavs fans.large_irishmarqueejk.jpgClick Here For the Whole Story5. It's a traumatic moment in the movie when Dambrot leaves SVSM. Some of the players felt betrayed, having believed he'd stay all four years with them. But where Dambrot really absorbs some cheap shots is in "Shooting Stars," the book by Buzz Bissinger. Dambrot is portrayed as a user and a screaming, vulgar maniac of a coach. Forgotten is that the reason Joyce II receives the biggest break of his career to become the head coach is because Dambrot pushed for it.6. All of those players were helped by playing for Dambrot -- a former head coach at the NCAA Division I level. He ran the Irish program as if it were a college team. It's quite true that James & Co. is the reason Dambrot was able to get another shot at college, Joyce II also learned much from Dambrot, as he has acknowledged in interviews over the years. That is basically ignored in both the book and the movie.7. No doubt, Dambrot can be rough in practice. But having watched at least a dozen of his practices at high school and college, he is demanding, but not over the top. While the players were hurt when he left for the Zips, Travis and Joyce III played for him at Akron. After going to Fairmont State to play football, McGee is now on Dambrot's coaching staff as a graduate assistant. James also holds his summer skills camp at Akron.

5. It's a traumatic moment in the movie when Dambrot leaves SVSM. Some of the players felt betrayed, having believed he'd stay all four years with them. But where Dambrot really absorbs some cheap shots is in "Shooting Stars," the book by Buzz Bissinger. Dambrot is portrayed as a user and a screaming, vulgar maniac of a coach.
Bissinger is a great writer, but his books have become very predictable. Being called a screaming, vulgar maniac of a coach by a screaming, vulgar maniac of an author.... (see Bissinger video on Bob Costas yelling at blog Dead Spin writer Will Leitch (sp?)..... should be worn as a badge of honor by KD. Bissinger's books usually have the role of villain assigned to an authority figure over they young men who play for him. He did the same thing in Friday Night Lights and it looks as if KD may have been his target in this book. I didn't even know this book existed. In the end, Bissinger is an old, tired Baby Boomer who can't get over his silly childish opinions of authority figures. Is KD a user? I would bet that at the end of the day, there were a lot of people around that St. V program using each other for whatever motivations they may have had. I'm not sure that is "using" anyone. It's more self-interested and the person out there who isn't self-interested should throw the first stone at this point.

• 10 months later...

I wanted to see this movie a lot earlier, but I finally saw it. I thought it was pretty interesting, contained a lot of stuff I didn't know and even more stuff I forgot. I had forgotten, for example, that St. V. lost the state championship in the guys junior year to Kettering Alter. As an example of something I didn't know, one of the key members of that team that broke Dru and Romeo's hearts was Doug Penno.