Elton Alexander says...

Personally, I'm glad the Zips aren't a team with more arrests than rebounds. How can anyone honestly say that they prefer to cheer for a college team where more media coverage comes from the crime watch than the sports section?
Amen! What he said .............. :iws:

Personally, I'm glad the Zips aren't a team with more arrests than rebounds. How can anyone honestly say that they prefer to cheer for a college team where more media coverage comes from the crime watch than the sports section?
That's pretty much hyperbole.If the Zips were K.e.n.t, and K.e.n.t. were the Zips...and you were a K.e.n.t. student...you'd have been dancing your ass off on The Q court under a sea of confetti last March and you know it. If you didn't, I guarantee the other 99.99999 percent of the students would have no problem with the celebration.The whole arrest thing makes for fun banter and easy Photoshop gags, but until we get a ring, that's all we'll have.Dambrot's on record as stating the K.e.n.t. program's success is what he aspires to emulate. If he can be a little envious of their success, why can't I? Note: The intention of Alexander's column was to speculate what UA needs to do to rise above our NIT rut. One option is the JUCO/transfer route. It could very well be that Alexander doesn't realize the Zips have indeed already found their way out of that rut with the most-recent recruiting classes. Getting the #8 center in the nation is, to me, a rut-buster extraordinaire. If Humpty isn't Newcomer of the Year, I'll riot. And we're redshirting guys like Parrish, Sullivan and McClannahan, who would start for 1/2 the MAC teams today.I see both sides. I want a ring. That's that.

WOW...some great stuff here. I must say, I've very pleased to see the passion for UA basketball. I share it with all of you.Let me share of a few of my opinions.....First, the Huggins route is not something that KD might not follow someday himself. I was a student when Bob proclaimed that his goal was to make Akron a top notch program. But, Bobby worked at a pretty low salary here, and then ended up being offerred TONS more to go to UC. If anyone discounts the possibility that KD might not bail for that kind of elevation in salary, they'd be naive. It can happen, regardless of what I PERSONALLY know about his commitment to Akron. I just want all of us to understand that the JC transfer route can work. None of us can dispute that it's worked for Can't, and as much as we've hoped it would all fall apart for them. They've been what we've hoped to be, as much as I hate those guys.Let me tell you. I went the JC route myself. I never got a chance to go to a 4-year school afterwards, but some people did. They were not criminals, or grade defiicient either. They simply were just guys who needed to refine their talents before the D-1 schools would make an offer that they didn't make to them after their senior year of high school. They were late bloomers. It's as simple as that.

WOW...some great stuff here. I must say, I've very pleased to see the passion for UA basketball. I share it with all of you.Let me share of a few of my opinions.....First, the Huggins route is not something that KD might not follow someday himself. I was a student when Bob proclaimed that his goal was to make Akron a top notch program. But, Bobby worked at a pretty low salary here, and then ended up being offerred TONS more to go to UC. If anyone discounts the possibility that KD might not bail for that kind of elevation in salary, they'd be naive. It can happen, regardless of what I PERSONALLY know about his commitment to Akron. I just want all of us to understand that the JC transfer route can work. None of us can dispute that it's worked for Can't, and as much as we've hoped it would all fall apart for them. They've been what we've hoped to be, as much as I hate those guys.Let me tell you. I went the JC route myself. I never got a chance to go to a 4-year school afterwards, but some people did. They were not criminals, or grade defiicient either. They simply were just guys who needed to refine their talents before the D-1 schools would make an offer that they didn't make to them after their senior year of high school. They were late bloomers. It's as simple as that.
You talk about Bob Huggins as if the only reason he left was money. If I remember correctly, in going D I-A in football, UA pulled out of its conference affiliation. Without a conference, it was next to impossible for the Zips to get to the Dance. What coach wants to stay somewhere with little to no opportunity to get to the NCAA Tourney? I also don't understand why a JUCO transfer has to necessarily be a problem. Some people just need a "second chance" in life. I applaud coaches who are willing and able to support someone who just needs some extra support in his life or a chance to prove that he can do the work. I wouldn't be so quick to stereotype.

I've read worse from Alexander. IMO however, although K.e.n.t. has been successful with transfers (please, not Tarver, Hollingsworthless or Bosley), there's more than one way to skin a cat. :screwks:
Captain, captain, captain. Now you and I both loved these players, and we know that it was not any lack of character, talent or desire that prevented them from winning the MAC. It was the lack of proper teaching and coaching strategy. I think Keith Dambrot would love to have players of this caliber on his roster. Well, Hollingsworth, I barely remember the name and never saw play, but hey, hey, hey Tarver, Bosley and Ball -- those guys could play on any MAC team and make it better.

I've read worse from Alexander. IMO however, although K.e.n.t. has been successful with transfers (please, not Tarver, Hollingsworthless or Bosley), there's more than one way to skin a cat. :screwks:
Captain, captain, captain. Now you and I both loved these players, and we know that it was not any lack of character, talent or desire that prevented them from winning the MAC. It was the lack of proper teaching and coaching strategy. I think Keith Dambrot would love to have players of this caliber on his roster. Well, Hollingsworth, I barely remember the name and never saw play, but hey, hey, hey Tarver, Bosley and Ball -- those guys could play on any MAC team and make it better.
Hollingsworth was awesome in year #1, and a cancer in year #2. Hence he was kicked off the team and drew my ire.Tarver was a ball hog who couldn't play defense to save his life. Since I'm getting older and mellower, maybe I can attribute some of his shortcomings to being strapped to the anchor of the SS Hipsher. Maybe if he played for Dambrot he would have been a different career. Bosley had 2 great years. Then, after The Thrilla in Manilla - Hipsher vs. Andrick, he quit. I'm still waiting for a check from the University with a full refund for my season tickets that year. They stole my money.Ball - I've never listed him negatively. He was a class act.

That's pretty much hyperbole.If the Zips were K.e.n.t, and K.e.n.t. were the Zips...and you were a K.e.n.t. student...you'd have been dancing your ass off on The Q court under a sea of confetti last March and you know it. If you didn't, I guarantee the other 99.99999 percent of the students would have no problem with the celebration.The whole arrest thing makes for fun banter and easy Photoshop gags, but until we get a ring, that's all we'll have.Dambrot's on record as stating the K.e.n.t. program's success is what he aspires to emulate. If he can be a little envious of their success, why can't I? Note: The intention of Alexander's column was to speculate what UA needs to do to rise above our NIT rut. One option is the JUCO/transfer route. It could very well be that Alexander doesn't realize the Zips have indeed already found their way out of that rut with the most-recent recruiting classes. Getting the #8 center in the nation is, to me, a rut-buster extraordinaire. If Humpty isn't Newcomer of the Year, I'll riot. And we're redshirting guys like Parrish, Sullivan and McClannahan, who would start for 1/2 the MAC teams today.I see both sides. I want a ring. That's that.
Let's be clear on this. Are we saying that we want to match the won-loss record of a questionable team by replicating their lower threshold for player character, or that we want to match their won-loss record with players of higher character?I will be crystal clear on the fact that I do not knowingly support teams that lower their standards to improve their records, and there's not an ounce of hyperbole in that. I'd rather root for a team of unquestioned integrity on the other side of the country than a bunch of ring-stealing pirates in my hometown.If the University of Akron lowers its standards in the interests of winning at any cost, you will not see me at any more games or in this forum.

Let's be clear on this. Are we saying that we want to match the won-loss record of a questionable team by replicating their lower threshold for player character, or that we want to match their won-loss record with players of higher character?
I think we're saying that recruiting is like a 401k. No, you don't want to tie your retirement to 100% high-risk stocks. But a balanced portfolio may include one or two aggressive funds.
I will be crystal clear on the fact that I do not knowingly support teams that lower their standards to improve their records, and there's not an ounce of hyperbole in that.
We're talking about one recruit. One scholarship. Not a paradigm shift in the philosophy of the program. And this scholarship COULD be earmarked for an outstanding athlete that MAY be a JUCO. Or a kid that did something semi-stupid when he was 18. Or didn't take his studies seriously enough when he was 14-17. Taking an "educated risk" on a single student athlete is a smart move if you've done your homework (as a coach) and that kid can elevate your program's level of play.Question - Is there a single Browns fan who refuses to cheer for Josh Cribbs because he was convicted of "possession of drugs with intent to distribute" 5 years ago? Or rejected renewal of their season tickets once he was signed?
I'd rather root for a team of unquestioned integrity on the other side of the country than a bunch of ring-stealing pirates in my hometown.
I guarantee you The University of Akron will never be known as "a bunch of ring-stealing pirates" (is there an ounce of hyperbole there?). East Carolina, maybe. But not Akron.
If the University of Akron lowers its standards in the interests of winning at any cost, you will not see me at any more games or in this forum.
It won't happen. Your attendance and board participation are ensured for the foreseeable future. :wave:

Went lurking on K.S.U.'s board and they seem to have suddenly developed a new religion .... go with four year players rather than JUCO's ... Read what they say: axeme Wrote: I'd hate to see what the last 10 years would have been like without our two-year carpetbaggers.They would have been bad, very bad. Even Gary Waters says we would not have achieved Elite Eight status without Antonio Gates. Most mid pick up quality first bouncers from better rpograms to make them better. In principle, don't have a problem with filling in gaps with JUCOs and transfers.My concern is that transfers and JUCO's appear to have become our strategy vs. our fill in. Wonder if this hurts us in attracting quality four year guys to develop...do they go somewhere where they know they won't sit behind a string of veteran newcomers? If this is true, I'd rather use a down year or two to readjust instead of hoping we find the second bounce ( or, in case of the mentioned PG, fifth bounce) lightning.http://ncaabbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=474