Next Year

UAZip0510

It's northeast Ohio tradition...when the season ends, you look towards next year. With that said, Starters------------C-MarshallF-McKnightF-McKnightG-RobertsG-HitchensBench-------------G-McNeesF-CvetinovicF-ConyersG-StewardG-McClanahanC-BardoAlso in the Mix-----------------F-ParrishC-SwiechF-CarrollG-CoblentzG-PetersonAnd now, in Peter King style, Ten Things I Think I Think:1) I think Nate Linhart was a great, great player for the Zips. I didn't always buy into Linhart, and still feel he was more of a role player than a star player, but that's OK if he is. He gave his blood, sweat, and tears to this school for 4 years and will be missed. He wouldn't be a bad GA, assuming he'd be interested. 2) I think that if Zeke Marshall is the real deal, he'll be what this team is sorely lacking. If he can block shots, rebounds, and provide a strong presence inside, this team will be able to hang more with the Gonzaga's of the world. 3) I think that Nik and Humpty have very bright futures ahead of them. To come in and do what they did on such a big stage, in such big situations, says a lot about the two of them. 4) I also think that Chris and Brett McKnight could rule the MAC next year. Chris is becoming a dependable low post option, and Brett's game has an incredibly high ceiling. 5) I think that this experience, the MAC Tournament experience, and an offseason of workouts, conditioning, and practices with Keith Dambrot will do wonders for this team, especially Hitchens, Cvetinovic, and the McKnights. 6) I think that we are extremely lucky to have Keith Dambrot. Not only is he a great coach, not only does he get the most out of his players, but he represents this city in wonderful fashion. He IS Akron, and I hope he leads the men's hoops team until he decides to retire. 7) I think that, should a scholarship open up, the Zips shouldn't shut down the possibility of looking at a JUCO player. I never, ever, ever, ever want to be Can't and load up our roster with them, but if KD could find the right guy with the right personality, it could take the Zips to an even higher level. 8) I think that the guard position is looking really good now. Hitchens is a star in the making, Roberts is a solid all-around player, McNees has taken his game to a new level, and McClanahan looked good in limited action. Add in (hopefully) a healthy Steward and you have 5 guards who can play some really good basketball. 9) I think that it will be interesting to see the non-conference schedule for next year. #1-Does KD schedule tougher opponents? #2-Will any tougher teams be willing to play us? I'm not so sure the game ends the same way tonight had it not been a home game for Gonzaga. 10) I think that this was a huge step for the entire program. They started the season barely getting by Walsh, then ended it by winning the MAC and giving the #10 team in the country all they could handle in what was basically a road game. They have a top 50 player coming in at arguably their weakest position, and bring back all but one player for next year. We have a lot to be happy about right now, and a lot to look forward to in the future. GO ZIPS!!!!

7) I think that, should a scholarship open up, the Zips shouldn't shut down the possibility of looking at a JUCO player. I never, ever, ever, ever want to be Can't and load up our roster with them, but if KD could find the right guy with the right personality, it could take the Zips to an even higher level. First of all, I agree with just about all of your points listed here. However, IF there is another scholly available we NEED to reward D. Roberts with a much deserved scholly as soon as possible. He played "lights out" tonight and throughout the MAC tourney.

Tough to argue with any of that. I still don't like going down the JUCO road, it's too tempting to start relying on JUCO's and transfers. You get yourself going down that road and sometimes it is tough to come back from that. As far as the lineup goes. I don't think Zeke will start, at least right away. KD isn't exactly known for just handing guys things on a silver plater. Zeke is going to have to earn his minutes. I said in another thread a week ago or so that I think we will continue to start Nik at C early in the season, then as Zeke earns more playing time move Nik over to a PF coming off the bench and groom him to be the frontcourt running mate for Zeke down the road.I will also say that I am excited to see what our redshirts will bring to this team. I don't know where we will find playing time for them, but Sullivan is a guy who had a big reputation in this part of the country and Parrish looks like a guy who could give us a more athletic presence in the frontcourt. The other thing that interests me is what happens with Nate's spot in the rotation. The two guys we've had behind him this year are Conyers in B.McKnight. Now Brett has outplayed Jimmy most of the year, but I really wonder if Brett wouldn't be best served to continue coming off the bench. Jimmy isn't the player we thought we were getting when we signed him, but he has value for this team and a rotation of Jimmy starting and playing 15 minutes or so and Brett relieving him and playing the other 25 makes a lot of sense to me.I think the biggest thing for this team in the off-season is to develop some offensive consistency. We can't expect to get back to the dance, or make some noise when we are there if we continue to go through these long spans where we can't hit the broad side of a barn. If we continue to score tonight, lets just say Gonzaga fans might not have any fingernails left.

OUR BASKETBALL TEAM WILL BE RANKED IN THE TOP 20 WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS (will we be able to keep Coach Dambrot?)SOCCER WILL PLAY IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2 OF THE NEXT 3 YEARS.
Optimism would be an understatement. Not to say it's not realistic, though. The basketball team has a lot of off season work to do before I give them a top 20 spot...as for the futbol team...well...I'd say 3 of 3 natl championships isn't altogether unlikely.

OUR BASKETBALL TEAM WILL BE RANKED IN THE TOP 20 WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS (will we be able to keep Coach Dambrot?)SOCCER WILL PLAY IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2 OF THE NEXT 3 YEARS.
and within the next 3 years this entire nation will be doing the humpty hump

A couple points based on my experiences as a long-time Xavier fan (and a graduate).1. XU got a top 10, 7 foot center this year. He played well, but never started. Averaged about 6 pts, 5 boards. He is going to be good, but it takes time. I think that Akron will see the same kind of thing from Zeke. Now, in XU's case they already had a 6'9 JR true defensive center (who averaged about 7 & 5 this year). I think Zeke could be a starter in his first year, but my guess is that it won't come until at least 10-15 games have been played.2. XU does an excellent job of blending in JUCOs and transfers. I do agree you have to be careful, but it can be done. And. keep in mind, when a kid transfers to XU or has gone the juco or prep route he is STILL EXPECTED TO GRADUATE= he is not just a hired gun. XU does a great job of graduating their kids. I know X is private and Akron is a public university, but XU is in no way an elite academic school. Dambrot just has to make sure he gets the right kind of kids (both basketball and academically) if he goes that route. There is nothing that says you MUST go this route, but take it from someone who has watched a mid-major in a non-BCS conference grow into a top 20 program...JUCOs and especially transfers help get to that next level!!

Here is my prediction for next year's starting rotation:PG - HumptySG - RobertsSF - B-MacPF - C-MacC - Cvetinovic10-DeepPG - StewardSG - McClanahanSF - ConyersPF - Parrish (AP looks like Amare Stoudamire's little brother.)C - Zeeeeeeke2 More ContributorsG - McNeesG - Sullivan (I'm anxious to see what he brings to the team. Positive: he flat-out lit it up in high school. Negative: he's another 5-10 G)If Zeke works hard, I predict he will move into the starting lineup halfway through the year, like Cventinovic did this season. That would give us the luxury of bringing either C-Mac or Cvetinovic off the bench. However, I don't think KD will move C-Mac out of the starting lineup, him being a senior and we needing a senior leader on the floor.I don't want to be negative in any way, but Jimmy C. is the only weak link in the 10-deep. He just needs to play good defense when he's in the game. The SF should be a recruiting priority for us this season.

Here is my prediction for next year's starting rotation:PG - HumptySG - RobertsSF - B-MacPF - C-MacC - Cvetinovic10-DeepPG - StewardSG - McClanahanSF - ConyersPF - Parrish (AP looks like Amare Stoudamire's little brother.)C - Zeeeeeeke2 More ContributorsG - McNeesG - Sullivan (I'm anxious to see what he brings to the team. Positive: he flat-out lit it up in high school. Negative: he's another 5-10 G)If Zeke works hard, I predict he will move into the starting lineup halfway through the year, like Cventinovic did this season. That would give us the luxury of bringing either C-Mac or Cvetinovic off the bench. However, I don't think KD will move C-Mac out of the starting lineup, him being a senior and we needing a senior leader on the floor.I don't want to be negative in any way, but Jimmy C. is the only weak link in the 10-deep. He just needs to play good defense when he's in the game. The SF should be a recruiting priority for us this season.
Zeke is one of the most talented players in the country. He should be placed in the starting lineup the second he walks into the first practice. It is his job to lose.

Zeke is one of the most talented players in the country. He should be placed in the starting lineup the second he walks into the first practice. It is his job to lose.
I absolutely disagree. Look, noone is talking about redshirting Zeke or anything like that. But this team is built on 5 guys on the floor playing as one. No one player on this team is bigger than the rest of the team and that attitude shouldn't change just for Zeke. Now if Zeke comes in in Fall practice and earns the starting spot more power too him. But for now our starting lineup is Humpty, Roberts, Conyers/B.McKnight, C.McKnight and Cvetinovic. From what I understand of Zeke and his mindset and work ethic he shouldn't have any problem with this.

I absolutely disagree. Look, noone is talking about redshirting Zeke or anything like that. But this team is built on 5 guys on the floor playing as one. No one player on this team is bigger than the rest of the team and that attitude shouldn't change just for Zeke. Now if Zeke comes in in Fall practice and earns the starting spot more power too him. But for now our starting lineup is Humpty, Roberts, Conyers/B.McKnight, C.McKnight and Cvetinovic. From what I understand of Zeke and his mindset and work ethic he shouldn't have any problem with this.
I don't think we disagree. My point is he gets the starting spot at the first practice. If he is not up to the task or if he is simply out played by someone else, then someone else gets it. Either way, he has to earn it.

I don't think we disagree. My point is he gets the starting spot at the first practice. If he is not up to the task or if he is simply out played by someone else, then someone else gets it. Either way, he has to earn it.
I'm really excited about the potential of Cvetinovic. He's big, skilled, aggressive and passionate. I think he'll really afford us the luxury of bringing Zeke along slowly. It may take Zeke a year to hit his stride.

It's nice to see that people started bringing up Sullivan, after he was mysteriously omitted from the original post. He's a strong kid, a great defender, and averaged somewhere around 25ppg each of his last TWO years of high school. Here's some of my thoughts about next year......1) Is B. McKnight going to become a starter? I actually like his role right now, but don't know what the staff has in store for him.2) I like Humpty coming off of the bench too. This "spark plug" kind of guy coming into the game might just be the way he could help us the best in the future. 3) Does the way Steve Mc. has handled the point the last couple of weeks change anyone's mind about him? His floor leadership has been unexpectedly tremendous, and it has me once again confused about whether the 1 spot or the 2 spot is the best fit for him. And I still can't figure out why the guy with the best technical shooting mechanics from long range has struggled so much to find the basket this year. 4) I sure hope Ronnie has better luck next year. I still believe that he is the best we have in terms of running an efficient offense. 5) I'm not sure where McClanahan stands right now. His minutes dwindled significantly as of late, and other than 1 or 2 games, the shooting accuracy we had heard so much about didn't really materialize. We had to add a guard to the lineup. We had no choice. But I hated to see him go from filling meaningful minutes, to being in a "go in for a few minutes to give the other guys a rest" role. And we only had 3 healthy guards. I just hope it's not a sign that the coaches gave up on him.6) Forget the idea of Bardo getting more touches in the paint, as some people suggest. His offensive skills (both hands and feet) are really weak. He belongs in the role he's in right now, and I don't see that changing. 7) I think Nik really showed what he could bring to this team over the 2nd half of the season. I expect to see him as a starter once again. 8) Can anyone really at this point figure out which Jimmy C. will appear at the start of next year?9) Nice to see Darryl get his confidence back as a scorer by the end of the season. 10) The burning question....does Zeke start from Day 1? I have no idea what Keith's thoughts are on this, but if he does well in the preseason, I'm sure it's possible. I know one thing...the bench is gonna be pretty full next year with the addition of Zeke and a few redshirts. And a lot of talented people will be fighting for playing time.

gp i totally agree with you.akron or the mac never gets top 100 players let alone a top 30 player.the only way zeke does not start is if he CAN'T pick up kd's defensive.i seriously doubt that will happen.from the scouting reports his defense,and shot blocking are way ahead of his offense.kd loves guys who can play defense.i think zeke will start from day one.he will make a instant impact on defense for akron with his shot blocking.