Payne Cancels Visit

Boals' job at UA was to sell KD and the UA program to recruits, not himself. If he did his job right, then his departure should not automatically end all chances with those he was recruiting.
I totally agree. Players are usually more interested in who is the Head Coach and the overall University. Assistants come and go and you don't see players attempting to transfer. With the success of KD, I believe we still have a shot at getting Payne.
In my experiences, this is why I have emphasized previously that I will always be shocked if I see a situation where a potential recruit makes an asst. coach the make-or-break factor in a decision to attend a particular school.
Larry Johnson SR, at Penn State, recruits guys to come play for him. He gets many of the recruits that PSU gets.

With this GREAT news out of Columbus, the rate of decline in the probability that the Zips will sign Payne slows. Current probability of UA landing him now at 8.67%http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...0K.html?sid=101
psh, I don't care if they dropped open enrollment, OSU will never be a very strong university. Shoot, their not even the best public school in Ohio!

With this GREAT news out of Columbus, the rate of decline in the probability that the Zips will sign Payne slows. Current probability of UA landing him now at 8.67%http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...0K.html?sid=101
psh, I don't care if they dropped open enrollment, OSU will never be a very strong university. Shoot, their not even the best public school in Ohio!
Let's keep things in perspective here. I am as big on the zips as can be and I hate OSU (in the athletic/rivalry) sense of the word. However, like it or not, OSU IS a very strong University and IS the best public school in Ohio. Me and you are not qualified to evaluate universities and rank them. That's why people buy the US news report and similar publications.I couldn't be prouder of my Akron degrees and my zips, and i love the growth and improvement i see in Akron every day, but i don't think making foolish statements ridiculing other schools help us with anything.

Let's keep things in perspective here. I am as big on the zips as can be and I hate OSU (in the athletic/rivalry) sense of the word. However, like it or not, OSU IS a very strong University and IS the best public school in Ohio. Me and you are not qualified to evaluate universities and rank them. That's why people buy the US news report and similar publications.I couldn't be prouder of my Akron degrees and my zips, and i love the growth and improvement i see in Akron every day, but i don't think making foolish statements ridiculing other schools help us with anything.
I never who it was that tops OSU in academics. Miami University has a stronger undergraduate focus then OSU.

However, like it or not, OSU IS a very strong University and IS the best public school in Ohio. Me and you are not qualified to evaluate universities and rank them. That's why people buy the US news report and similar publications.
USN&WR rankings are bought and paid for. They're related to research expenditures and market perception more than actual on the ground assessment of how good the schools are.I'll go on record in saying that the last portion of the first sentence of yours that I've quoted is categorically wrong, at least as it pertains to Engineering. I can think of 3 state schools from which I'd hire an engineer before OSU. Based on past experience and current experience with graduates of several statewide nerd schools.Don't drink the Kool Aid. OSU is the best funded public school in Ohio. That doesn't translate automatically to quality or results.

Rasor's blog indicates that we are out of the Payne sweepstakes. According to his "inside sources" Payne's decision will come down to Michigan State, OSU and Kentucky. I don't know how much to believe this. Everything we've heard about Adreian is that he wants a smaller campus closer to home. None of those schools exactly fit the bill in terms of a smaller campus. Ohio State and I guess maybe Kentucky would be reasonably close to home but Dayton to East Lansing is a pretty far drive. On top of that you have the news coming out now that OSU doesn't have any scholarships left to give. Rasor's "inside sources" have been wrong before. Not saying the Zips are still in it for Adreian, but I find this information to be a little bit out there.

Rasor's blog indicates that we are out of the Payne sweepstakes. According to his "inside sources" Payne's decision will come down to Michigan State, OSU and Kentucky. I don't know how much to believe this. Everything we've heard about Adreian is that he wants a smaller campus closer to home. None of those schools exactly fit the bill in terms of a smaller campus. Ohio State and I guess maybe Kentucky would be reasonably close to home but Dayton to East Lansing is a pretty far drive. On top of that you have the news coming out now that OSU doesn't have any scholarships left to give. Rasor's "inside sources" have been wrong before. Not saying the Zips are still in it for Adreian, but I find this information to be a little bit out there.
Payne is nowhere near having a final three teams. Heck, he really hasn't even begun to sit down and strongly consider what schools he might want to attend. His reasoning on Payne eliminating Akron is a little flawed. Yes, Rivals did remove Akron but they did that to add another BCS school on his list. Rivals only lists 15 schools and Akron got the bump.

Payne is nowhere near having a final three teams. Heck, he really hasn't even begun to sit down and strongly consider what schools he might want to attend. His reasoning on Payne eliminating Akron is a little flawed. Yes, Rivals did remove Akron but they did that to add another BCS school on his list. Rivals only lists 15 schools and Akron got the bump.
If Rivals decided where Payne went to school than Ohio State would be getting an extra honorary scholarship to make up for the two it lost.

I can see the story now:After signing a letter of intent with Anonymous U, Adreian Payne said he had been leaning toward the University of Akron."I don't know what happened with the Zips," Payne said. "I was impressed with Coach Dambrot and thought that Zeke Marshall and I playing together could help turn the program into a national power. But I guess they believed some so-called 'inside sources' who said I wasn't interested in Akron, and just gave up on me."

OK..OK..so here is my question. If OSU is losing 2 basketball scholarships...why is it that everyone continues to believe that Payne and/or Witherspoon will be going to OSU??? Wont the losing of those 2 scholarships affect them for next year?? Just curious.

OK..OK..so here is my question. If OSU is losing 2 basketball scholarships...why is it that everyone continues to believe that Payne and/or Witherspoon will be going to OSU??? Wont the losing of those 2 scholarships affect them for next year?? Just curious.
The way I understand it, this affects their current recruiting class (2009). Unless they screw up again and lose more scholarships, which might actually happen since a few more guys are leaving the program, they'll still have all their scholarships for the 2010 class.

Nothing is final until the LOIs are signed. Wait about three months and then we'll see what the real deal is shaping up to be.
The loss of scholarships will affect the 2010 season. The 2009 players have already signed their letters of intent.

The way I understand it, this affects their current recruiting class (2009). Unless they screw up again and lose more scholarships, which might actually happen since a few more guys are leaving the program, they'll still have all their scholarships for the 2010 class.
OSU wasn't supposed to have an open scholarships next year, as no one on the team was a senior. BJ Mullins went pro and Anthony Crater transfered out. ESPN doesn't have them as signing anyone for 2009. Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible), I'd guess they'll use these two to serve the penalty.

I don't believe any of the nonsense of which is a better school. I think that all depends on what you are majoring in.Not one school in America has the highest rated department in everything. Some things OSU is better at than Akron. Other things Akron is better at than OSU is. Miami is better at some things than either of those schools. Other things Can't may be better in, (I know a reach)It all depends on what works for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt Payne ends up at OSU. Look at the Rivals 2010 verbals and class rankings. OSU already has 4 verbals and the #1 rated class in the country. They have 2 x 4 star guards and a 5 star PF and a 5 star center. I doubt they pull an offer from one of the other 5 star big men to give it to Payne.

The story says that Payne "canceled the visit after Boals left the school." No evidence is presented that those events were necessarily directly related or just wishful thinking by a Columbus sportswriter. Did Payne unilaterally cancel the visit, or was it a mutual decision between him and UA? There are other interpretations rather than Payne losing interest in UA just because Boals was leaving.For example, it never made any sense to me why Payne would have to miss one of his AAU games just to visit UA. It always made more sense to reschedule the visit when there were no conflicts. It also makes more sense to visit after the assistant coaching staff has stabilized.
It was a mutual decision. The following is the conversation that constitutes the mutual agreement.Payne: "I'm not coming to visit."K.D. "O.K."

I doubt Payne ends up at OSU. Look at the Rivals 2010 verbals and class rankings. OSU already has 4 verbals and the #1 rated class in the country. They have 2 x 4 star guards and a 5 star PF and a 5 star center. I doubt they pull an offer from one of the other 5 star big men to give it to Payne.
Ohio State doesn't have to pull an offer from one of the other 5 stars. The plan is to get Payne to join their existing class.