Payne Cancels Visit

What else would you expect from a Columbus sportswriter who is spoiled to his beloved hometown team always getting its way with recruits over all the Ohio midget schools? I think we would all be disappointed in KD if he just totally gave up on Payne. Despite really long odds, you have to keep recruiting the best prospects right up until they declare if you want to grow the program to the next level. Boals' job at UA was to sell KD and the UA program to recruits, not himself. If he did his job right, then his departure should not automatically end all chances with those he was recruiting.

What else would you expect from a Columbus sportswriter who is spoiled to his beloved hometown team always getting its way with recruits over all the Ohio midget schools? I think we would all be disappointed in KD if he just totally gave up on Payne. Despite really long odds, you have to keep recruiting the best prospects right up until they declare if you want to grow the program to the next level. Boals' job at UA was to sell KD and the UA program to recruits, not himself. If he did his job right, then his departure should not automatically end all chances with those he was recruiting.
Exactly. I Won't believe it until I see it. If Payne commits anywhere, chances are it probably won't be Ohio State. But we'll see.

Boals' job at UA was to sell KD and the UA program to recruits, not himself. If he did his job right, then his departure should not automatically end all chances with those he was recruiting.
I totally agree. Players are usually more interested in who is the Head Coach and the overall University. Assistants come and go and you don't see players attempting to transfer. With the success of KD, I believe we still have a shot at getting Payne.

Boals' job at UA was to sell KD and the UA program to recruits, not himself. If he did his job right, then his departure should not automatically end all chances with those he was recruiting.
I totally agree. Players are usually more interested in who is the Head Coach and the overall University. Assistants come and go and you don't see players attempting to transfer. With the success of KD, I believe we still have a shot at getting Payne.
In my experiences, this is why I have emphasized previously that I will always be shocked if I see a situation where a potential recruit makes an asst. coach the make-or-break factor in a decision to attend a particular school.

OSU is pretty much off the board. They're hardly pursuing him at all any more, from Payne's own comments which are more up-to-date than this story.
More up-to-date than this story? It's 8 hours old?! Unless you had breakfast with him, I'm thinking this is the most up-to-date account out there.

OSU is pretty much off the board. They're hardly pursuing him at all any more, from Payne's own comments which are more up-to-date than this story.
More up-to-date than this story? It's 8 hours old?! Unless you had breakfast with him, I'm thinking this is the most up-to-date account out there.
The story is new, but the information is old. We knew he canceled his visit two weeks ago.

The real question is, why aren't we recruiting over in Asia or Europe trying to find that hidden prospect??!? I'm totally kidding but of course but guys like Nick C and some others from around the country make you wonder what kind of guys could be out there. With all the big boys attention on recruiting the big name guys in American, what could we be stealing from other continents?For every payne, there could be a Wong or a Hamburg out there ready to tear up the MAC.

The story says that Payne "canceled the visit after Boals left the school." No evidence is presented that those events were necessarily directly related or just wishful thinking by a Columbus sportswriter. Did Payne unilaterally cancel the visit, or was it a mutual decision between him and UA? There are other interpretations rather than Payne losing interest in UA just because Boals was leaving.For example, it never made any sense to me why Payne would have to miss one of his AAU games just to visit UA. It always made more sense to reschedule the visit when there were no conflicts. It also makes more sense to visit after the assistant coaching staff has stabilized.

The real question is, why aren't we recruiting over in Asia or Europe trying to find that hidden prospect??!? I'm totally kidding but of course but guys like Nick C and some others from around the country make you wonder what kind of guys could be out there. With all the big boys attention on recruiting the big name guys in American, what could we be stealing from other continents?For every payne, there could be a Wong or a Hamburg out there ready to tear up the MAC.
Two words - Klaus ZollnerI think our "local" recruiting base is more within our budget, and seems to be working very well. St Mary's has made a living off Australian players as of late, so going overseas is definitely an alternative strategy. But I think we should leave the overseas recruiting to Caleb Porter.

For every overseas prospect that comes in and is effective at the college level there is another guy like a Kenneth Van Kempen who comes in and is a complete flop. I know the same can be said for local recruiting, but the price of having a local kid come into the program and flop is significantly less than flying overseas, scouting a kid, talking to him, signing him up, bringing him stateside and then watching him flounder around. I'll stick to local recruiting. You've also got to remember that we found Nik C. once he was already stateside and playing in Virginia.

The story says that Payne "canceled the visit after Boals left the school." No evidence is presented that those events were necessarily directly related or just wishful thinking by a Columbus sportswriter. Did Payne unilaterally cancel the visit, or was it a mutual decision between him and UA? There are other interpretations rather than Payne losing interest in UA just because Boals was leaving.For example, it never made any sense to me why Payne would have to miss one of his AAU games just to visit UA. It always made more sense to reschedule the visit when there were no conflicts. It also makes more sense to visit after the assistant coaching staff has stabilized.
It was a mutual decision. The following is the conversation that constitutes the mutual agreement.Payne: "I'm not coming to visit."K.D. "O.K."

The story is new, but the information is old. We knew he canceled his visit two weeks ago.
Agree. This is old news and just a Columbus journalist reaching for a story.Fact is that Payne had an AAU tourney in Arkansas the weekend the visit was scheduled. Of course it was cancelled and it would have been cancelled even with Boals still at Akron. When the visit was originally scheduled in March, his AAU team was supposed to play in Pittsburgh, which would have made it easier to sneak a visit in sometime during the weekend.

It was a mutual decision. The following is the conversation that constitutes the mutual agreement.Payne: "I'm not coming to visit."K.D. "O.K."
I thought K.D. said "Alright"? Can someone please verify?

What we did not know 2 weeks ago was - "Now that Jeff Boals is officially an assistant coach, the Ohio State men's basketball team will try again to recruit Adreian Payne, a 6-foot-10 junior from Dayton Jefferson."Either the guy is lying, or OSU is now recruiting him.

What we did not know 2 weeks ago was - "Now that Jeff Boals is officially an assistant coach, the Ohio State men's basketball team will try again to recruit Adreian Payne, a 6-foot-10 junior from Dayton Jefferson."Either the guy is lying, or OSU is now recruiting him.
We did know that and again, this isn't new information. The guy held off on the story until Boals was officially announced at OSU. OSU has been recruiting Payne for awhile now and now Boals will head that effort. Payne is still unlikely to attend OSU.

I've noticed that Payne's high school coach has a habit of telling people what they want to hear when it comes to recruiting. I still find it interesting that we're still being mentioned occasionally along with all those schools that get you press just by saying their name on your recruiting list. If it was all about selling this kid, we wouldn't ever have been mentioned at all.

I've noticed that Payne's high school coach has a habit of telling people what they want to hear when it comes to recruiting. I still find it interesting that we're still being mentioned occasionally along with all those schools that get you press just by saying their name on your recruiting list. If it was all about selling this kid, we wouldn't ever have been mentioned at all.
This is very true. Winston is looking out for his own benefits more than Payne's. It is a really sad thing to see. Everytime I see a quote from Winston I take with a grain of salt.

Maybe someone here is more creative than I am, but I just can't come up with any good reason why a highly rated recruit would even want to mention considering a school that does not have a nationally ranked basketball program unless he had at least a tiny bit of genuine interest in that school. Let's face it, there is nothing to be leveraged with the likes of Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, etc., etc., by saying you're also considering Akron. The only affect I can imagine that it would have on the powerhouse schools would be to make them think the kid doesn't have self-confidence or good judgment.So until Payne public states that he has eliminated UA from his list, why should we fans post here that we've already written him off? It just gives the powerhouse schools another talking point:"Even Zips fans know you're too good to sign with UA."

Maybe someone here is more creative than I am, but I just can't come up with any good reason why a highly rated recruit would even want to mention considering a school that does not have a nationally ranked basketball program unless he had at least a tiny bit of genuine interest in that school. Let's face it, there is nothing to be leveraged with the likes of Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, etc., etc., by saying you're also considering Akron. The only affect I can imagine that it would have on the powerhouse schools would be to make them think the kid doesn't have self-confidence or good judgment.So until Payne public states that he has eliminated UA from his list, why should we fans post here that we've already written him off? It just gives the powerhouse schools another talking point:"Even Zips fans know you're too good to sign with UA."
very good point. I was kinda thinking the same thing myself. However, at the same time, saying youre considering a school like UA also makes the powerhouse schools feel like the smaller schools are doing a better job at recruiting the player than they are. Makes them feel like they're being out-shoved.

Two words - Klaus ZollnerI think our "local" recruiting base is more within our budget, and seems to be working very well. St Mary's has made a living off Australian players as of late, so going overseas is definitely an alternative strategy. But I think we should leave the overseas recruiting to Caleb Porter.
Good idea. I hear Caleb is currently recruiting a 6-7 PF/Holding Midfielder out of East London. That's the tough side of town. The docks.