Men's Basketball

zipalong

torn acl yes. out for the season, not set in stone.

Seems like the rule of thumb is 9 months for the ACL. That would put his availability...at some capacity(50%...75%...?)...at February 2006. If that time frame were accurate, a decision/gamble would need to be made whether he'd be granted a 6th year for medical hardship, or if he'd be better off playing the final few games + tourney.

I'd guess it would be better to apply for the medical hardship IF he wanted to be in school for 6 years. Sitting out a full year as a transfer, then coming off a torn ACL doesn't bode well for making an meaningfull impact upon his return in February.

Hope for the best...maybe it is a 6-monther (best case)?

:wall:

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/colleg...on/11785844.htm

Link above is to Beacon article.. requires sign in... text is below...

Posted on Wed, Jun. 01, 2005

University of Akron notebook

Debut of Dials could be delayed

Guard to have surgery after sustaining torn ACL in 3-on-3 game

By Darnell Mayberry

Beacon Journal sports writer

University of Akron sophomore basketball guard Nick Dials, who sat out last season under NCAA rules after transferring from Ohio State, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while playing 3-on-3 with teammates during an open gym session last week.

Dials is scheduled to have surgery on the knee Thursday afternoon. A recovery period of about six to nine months is expected.

``If I had to guess right now, I'd say he'd miss a year,'' Akron coach Keith Dambrot said.

Dials' injury eerily occurred the same way as sophomore forward Jeremiah Wood's in early January, both landing awkwardly going after a rebound.

``I landed on one leg,'' Dials said. ``It just stuck in the ground. Basically my weight was going right and my knee twisted left.''

The Zips were depending on Dials to provide a better backcourt rotation. They hoped his outside shooting would ease the departure of graduated forward Rick McFadden.

``It's a big blow to us,'' Dambrot said. ``This guy is a guy who's a winning guy.

``He's not a guy who can score 20 points a game but he's a winner.''

Dials sounded confident that he'd be ready for the start of the season.

``Regardless of what the doctor says, I'll be ready,'' he said.

``This season, I've been looking forward to it for over a year now, and it's kind of hard for me to let something get in the way of that.''

Hipsher, Arkansas talk

Former Akron men's basketball coach Dan Hipsher is among the leading candidates for the top assistant position at Arkansas, which was recently vacated by Bill Herrion, who accepted the head coaching job at New Hampshire.

It is believed that Hipsher will meet with the Arkansas administration Sunday and Monday in Fayetteville, Ark., and likely will receive an offer.

Hipsher coached nine seasons with the Zips from 1996-2004, with a 112-137 record.

Hipsher, who was fired after the 2003-2004 season, has been working in Akron's office of public affairs and development since his dismissal.

Hipsher would coach under Stan Heath, the former coach at Can't State who is now in his third season at Arkansas.

• 3 weeks later...