Westfield Cup

:wave:

Here's to Katie and Ken. I thought this year's games would be typical preseason practices, but from a look at the box score, it appears that both KL and SMU coach Schellas Hyndman played the guys who should be on the field when the real season begins (didn't notice if SMU's US 18- GK from Columbus was in net, but my homie, Duke Hashimoto of national champs Honolulu Bulls led the Ponies w/3 SOG). so it looks like a legitimate outcome over a team that is probably better than their #10 ranking, IMHO.

Good luck to both teams in the finals. What a shame the Akron Wahine don't get to play final-4 Florida! Kudos to ODU. We'll see how we do tomorrow, but it looks like coach Byrne has a "Fix" to the sporatic offense. Is she a MAC FOY?

Gonna be a good season at Lee Jack. :thumb:

WOW, ZIPS WIN WESTFIELD CUP!!!

I was really encouraged when the guys knocked off the #10 team in the nation, but now they've knocked off the#3 team in the nation! :nutkick: If that doesn't give them a confidence boost, I don't know what will! I really don't follow soccer, but after this weekends results, I'm seeing a Zips squad that will open eyes across the nation! What a weekend for Zips soccer, record crowds and taking down big teams! :rock::rock::rock:

Go ZIPS!

Hard for me to put in perspective since I don't follow soccer much other than the Zips scores.  Thinking of it in terms I can relate to, how about Dambrot and the boys knocking off Kentucky and Wake Forest back to back. Way to go soccer!

Well, the first thing to remember is -- these games don't count in the season record, since they're pre-season. The past couple seasons we've played Michigan and -- trying to think -- Michigan State? And those games didn't matter much once the season began. I think this is at least a little different for a couple reasons: 1. The UA really went all out to plan and promote these games, and 2. The opponents for the men, SMU and UMd both seemed to play their starters for most of the contest, rather than playing youngsters (ala an NFL or even MLS) exhibition alot. Getting two goals past Steven Sandbo, the Columbus-bred SMU keeper who has played for US National teams since 14 was a great accomplishment. And they made Medina's Israel Jones ask "Why did I leave for Texas anyway?" Not sure when the next ASCA poll comes out, but I won't be surprised if we crack the top-25. It looks like Akron will be known for tough hard-nosed fullbacks once again. If they can find someone with consistent scoring touch, then they could go far.

As far as my feelings about the Westfield Cup, well, I got my T-shirt, and it will be one of the nation's top events beginning next year when it becomes part of the regular season. For this year though, show me a W @St Johns and it'll be time to really take note!

I also want to congratulate Katie Byrne's crew. Even though they finished second, they look to be much improved this season. Time will tell. Go get em. LassieZips! :wave: