THE AKRON BEACON JOURNAL

THOR

ATTENTION ZIPSNATION MEMBERS

Lets make some noise! The Akron Beacon Journal's coverage of Akron football is weak and we as readers should let them know.

There are 250 members of the zipsnation please call or send your emails to The Akron Beacon Journal sports.

Larry Pantages or David Lee Morgan 330-996-3800 330-996-3824

lpantages@thebeaconjournal.com davidleemorgan@thebeaconjournal.com

David Lee Morgan would rather cover girls high school volleyball and its evident in his articles on the Zips

Coverage this season has been expecially poor . No preview of the 2005 season. They actually did a preview of The University of Akron fall sports and excluded football. No coverage of J.D. Brookharts weekly press conference . No mention of the MAC special teams player of the week Domenik Hixon .

Our mission is to get The Beacon to pay more attention to Akron football . Emails should be to the point and always polite .A team effort is needed so please start as soon as possible. If you have any ideas please let other memebers know.

Thanks THOR

Edited by THOR

THOR,

I was initially going to quickly dismiss this post, but then I stopped and thought about it for a minute. I like the grass roots effort you're starting here. In the past, we have always just dismissed the coverage of the ABJ and said that it would never improve. The answer to those that did e-mail the ABJ got back was "There is more of a market for the Buttguys than Akron". I don't think many of us actually voiced our opinion to the ABJ, I didn't. So, thought a few complained, there was really nothing to dismiss the ABJ's argument that there is no markes for the Zips.

I'm going to start shooting off a well versed e-mail about the Zips and the lack of coverage in the ABJ about once a week. In the end, it can only help the situation. We should find out who DLM boss is and copy him also. If the coverage still doesn't improve, then it's their problem. Maybe we should also e-mail the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Start a little competition between papers!

Large picture and title print for the Suckeyes on page one of the Columbus Reakin Urinal. You have to go all the way to the bottom of page C11 to find a short article on the Zips. This paper is a total joke! They've sold out to the Suckeyes just like like the other OSU fans who do not have a legitimate reason for rooting for OSU. "I went to Akron, but I live in Ohio so that legitimizes my reason to be a Suckeye fan" Gee, I wonder if Michigan State fans use that same reasoning to root for Michigan?

Back in Akron this weekend and picked up this morning's paper. I know that Zips fans feel bad about being on page 11, but how do you think the Akron Aeros feel after winning their league championship on Saturday, in Akron, and getting bumped to the back while the Indians, Browns and Buckeyes all get coverage on the front page. The Areos win a title and get a 1x1 inch text nugget at the top of the page, nary even a logo.

The Cleveland/Columbus Beacon Journal?

The most dissappointing thing I saw in the Beacon today was that Darnell Mayberry covered the Can't game. Darnell did a good job of elevating the Zips Basketball coverage last winter. I was really hoping that he was taking over for Morgan as the Zips beat writer -- too good to be true I guess. If anyone writes to the paper, please push for Mayberry and ousting David Lee. He has to go.

As for being on C11, no suprise there - same old staff article, no indepth coverage, no insight. Oddly enough, they will probably promote the heck out of the home opener this week with Northern Illinois. You'd think that someone over there would understand that smart coverage/promotion would start with the win leading into that game. Unfortunately, I dont think anyone has ever confused Pantages with a big time sport's editor. That's right Larry, keep playng it safe and using the same old formula -- OSU front page, cover UA and Can't State openers, back to OSU, throw in some Mount Union, back to OSU, and finally overwhelm us with Lebron. Covering OSU first is a no brainer, it sells papers but I'm not quite sure why there isn't room for covering two teams as the Zips progress to the MAC's elite ranks. Riding the coat tails of OSU coverage isn't all that bad if the Beacon would give the Zips some decent space and real reporting. People might just get interested in a consistently competitve MAC team and good football at bargain prices.

I do think that playing your first home game three weeks into the season has not helped generate much excitement anywhere but here. A win this week and I think you'll see the Beacon on Z board searching for information and stories (Note to David Lee -- atleast you could give the Captain some credit one of these times for your material)

The Akron Beacon Journal Sports Editor must have felt that the OSU - SDSU game was very BIG! He sent two reporters and a photographer to Columbus, none to Murfreesboro. The Akron Beacon Journal Editor obviously felt no Akron team was worthy of Sunday's sports front page. The Zips along with the BIG high school rival game at the Rubber Bowl and the Akron Aeros BIG championship win were buried pages behind the teams from Cleveland and Columbus. What a BIG SHAME on the Akron Beacon Journal!

The Akron Beacon Journal Sports Editor must have felt that the OSU - SDSU game was very BIG! He sent two reporters and a photographer to Columbus, none to Murfreesboro. The Akron Beacon Journal Editor obviously felt no Akron team was worthy of Sunday's sports front page. The Zips along with the BIG high school rival game at the Rubber Bowl and the Akron Aeros BIG championship win were buried pages behind the teams from Cleveland and Columbus. What a BIG SHAME on the Akron Beacon Journal!

Agreed -- Pantages is the one needs to go. Morgan's bad but he's ot the root of the problem.

I don't read the ABJ, but I have heard many complaints from MAC fans and I do live in NE Ohio. As a result the following was just sent to the 2 email addresses listed at the top of this thread.

"Just wanted to let you guys know that there are a lot of fans in NE Ohio who would like to see more MAC coverage of the other 6 Ohio teams in Division I-A. The math is simple; there are a lot more MAC alumni in Ohio than there are for Ohio State alone. Plus you should have a duty to cover the local teams like Akron and Can't as much if not more than you do a team that is almost 100 miles away.

Just my opinion as a fan of Akron, Can't, Ohio, Miami, Toledo and Bowling Green fan and living in Northeast Ohio."

Remeber, the more of us that do this the more we will see results!

I sent my email.  You all should do the same.

Emails don't work with Pantages. He is an arrogant, ignorant a-hole. The best thing you can do is cancel your subscription.

But I like the BJ for everything else. It is sad when we have a nationally ranked soccer team, and they don't even mention it.

I feel for the Aeros big time too.

The Leaking Urinal has never covered Akron teams. It's a real shame. Down here in NC the media in Greensboro and Raleigh cover all the schools including D-II teams. The papers dedicate 2 or 3 pages on sat to cover highschool teams, and give atleast a full page to local and instate colleges.

What about the West Side Leader :unsure:

If we can't get coverage, lets go somewhere else. I'm sure they'd appreciate better local stories than sidewalk repair or knitting circles. The local coverage would serve us well and make us an integral part of the community. Thus increasing interest and attendance :) .

It's called captialism.....if they suck, go somewhere else and show them what they're missing.

Read Message

Previous Next | Close

From : mdavid12@aol.com Save to Address Book | Block Sender

To : inushuka@netzero.com

Subject : Re: Akron Zips beatwriter

Date : Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:27:44 -0400

Here is the reply I JUST READ from David Lee Morgan I will call him tomarrow and let you guys know what happened . In the mean time lets send more emails , Thursday's Beacon Journal has NO coverage of Akron football.

]

Do me a favor and leave your telephone number next time. Better tey, call me right now. 330-329-6476

-----Original Message-----

To: dlmorgan@thebeaconjournal.com

Sent: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:32:16 -0700

Subject: Akron Zips beatwriter

I sent an email to The University and recieved two replys . SEE BELOW

Shawn Nestor

Assistant AD For Media Relations

University of Akron

330.972.6292 (o)

330.374.8844 (f)

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your comments. However, we can't make the Beacon Journal cover football or our other teams. Story ideas are pitched to David Lee Morgan and/or the paper regularly with little to no response from them.

Why don't they cover Akron athletics more? That's a good question. The focus of the ABJ is pro sports, Ohio State and high schools. We follow along after that group with the Akron Aeros and others.

David Lee was invited to come on the team charter this past weekend, but he had to cover high school football Friday and the paper did not want to pay for him to come down to Tennessee at a different time. The story in the ABJ was the AP story re-packaged with a couple quotes.

They will rarely come to road football games. And until we win over a consistent period, it is going to be hard to convince them to do otherwise.

In their defense, it is not their job to help us meet attendance requirements or sell tickets. However, they should be covering the hometown team more. I agree. This is unlike any other situation I know of around the country.

As far as last year's advertisement for the Marshall game, that was an error from the ABJ advertising dept. However, our ad agency made a mistake on an earlier ad and it was carried forward by the paper. Some kind of clerical error. I honestly can't remember the whole scenario, but there was another problem from our Can't State home basketball game. There was definitely sloppiness on their part.

None of the preseason football scrimmages were attended by a staff writer, that was our release re-packaged by the sports desk.

Hope that helps. Appreciate your concerns.

To: <nestor@uakron.edu>

Cc: <inushuka@netzero.com>

Subject: The Akron Beacon Journal coverage

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:23:47 -0700

Why doesn't the Akron Beacon Journal cover Akron football ?

The Media Guide says the Beacon's beatwriter is David Lee Morgan. The win against MTSU was covered by a staff reporter. Did anyone invite him to go to the game ?

In order to meet attendance minimums and sell tickets The Akron Beacon Journal must cover the team and the MAC . They were very instrumental in getting the community involved during the 1980's when Akron moved to Division 1A .

Recently the coverage is limited and poor . For instance, last years Marshall game which was on ESPN they had the wrong dates of the game advertised. This year the preseason scrimmages were covered by a staff writer and consisted of a list of stats the last page of the sports section.

thanks

R.Whiit

HERE IS WERE WE GO !

Mr. Whitt,

Akron Athletics shares your frustrations per the local paper. Please feel

free to contact the following newspaper higher-ups with your frustrations;

Jim Crutchfield, Publisher

jcrutchfield@thebeaconjournal.com

Debra Adams-Simmons, Editor

dasimmons@thebeaconjournal.com

In Blue & Gold Pride,

Michael Waddell

Associate Director of Athletics, External Relations

The University of Akron

373 Carroll Street

Rhodes Arena, Suite 76

Akron, Ohio 44325-5201

Office

Fax

Home

Mobile

330.571-4195

E-mail:

waddell@uakron.edu

Someone needs to personally talk to these people, and find out what the problem is.

I don't think Morgan says he isn't going to cover UA. He is told what to do. We need to find out from his bosses what the problem is.

Forget OSU, Browns, and high school, Can't gets more coverage in the leaking urinal than UA does. It's a real shame.

If David Lee Morgan DOES write more regarding the Zips...will you learn anything? Do you really want to read it?

I bet we see more of Darnell Mayberry. I actually thought he had taken over for Morgan -He handled basketball coverage almost exclusively last year. If enough people speak up to the contacts above -- Morgan's job as beat writer for the Zips is going to end. Let him cover High School sports. Hopefully, they dont consider Morgan any sort of football expert. :puke: