Great Chase Blackburn Article

Captain Kangaroo

People need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program. Recruits and fans will follow when we when start winning!
Thanks for the kind words above. This board has nothing to do with being an internet tough guy. I'm one of the few people on this board that if you were to pass me on Route 8, you would know exactly who I am.. There is no hiding here...We've had these arguments about my love for the buckeyes about a dozen times now...My stance has always been the same.While it's obvious that I would never root for tosu to win any sporting event, that is about all the "hate" you will ever see from me towards tosu.My disgust is truly with those that have zero affiliation with the school and yet they continue to support them. Specifically, I'm referring to UA students, UA faculty and staff and most importantly, UA alumni.Can I be any more clear? UA, UA, UA.....Even OSUgrad 01 mentions that people need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program...Well, exactly who is supposed to worry about UA's program? I'm of the opinion that we need UA students, fac/staff and alumni to support our program, not OSU's. As long as there continues to be UA people(defined above) supporting tosu instead of UA, I will continue to "hate".... Finally, here is where CB needed to step up and say " OSU was my first choice, but I didn't get an offer. I had a great experience at The University of Akron and that is where my loyalties lie."

In fact, I'm not sure how many Joe Akrons out there, when they watch a Giants game, know Blackburn went to UofA.
Exactly my point. How or why would anyone know he went to Akron? All he talked about was tosu...Guys like CB need to get in front of the media and promote UA. It would go a long way to validating our program and then maybe he wouldn't be asked such a question...
I think a lot of the problem also stems from our constantly changing Athletics Department staff.If you recall under Mike Thomas' administration we had a spring game where Frye, Blackburn, Taylor and a bunch of other former Zips attended. I guess they put a big effort into getting football alumni back into the UA "loop."I recall one administrator telling me - "I called Jason Taylor and asked if he'd like to make a donation. He said 'sure,' and then said...'no one's ever asked me before?"In the short time Thomas' group was here they did more than build the practice facility and get the stadium off the blocks. Look in the JAR. All those coaches murals in the corners were installed during that time. All the championship banners hanging from the rafters were raised during that time. Eric McLaughlin's jersey was retired during that time. Thomas' group did a great job of bringing former Zips back into the fold, and also promoting the history of Zips athletics that had been forgotten in some Memorial Hall closet for a couple decades.Then Thomas left, and it all stopped. UA needs to be in Blackburn's face. Give the guy t-shirts and caps. Invite him back for the golf outings and spring practices. Ditto Hixon. And Frye. And others. And if they can't make it in one season, you call them back in 6 months and try again. It's pretty simple.If you see Chase Blackburn wearing an OSU shirt underneath his jersey, I blame UA, not Chase.
Who cares what he said? The guy grew up in the Columbus area. 99% of the time that person grows up rooting for OSU. Dont rag the guy for being honest. Is he suppose to avoid the question and say....I went to UA damn it, F OSU!!??? Hell no.I grew up a Browns fan. If I got drafted by the Steelers I would still be a Browns fan inside. You cant just get that out of you. You mistakenly assume his loyalties lie with OSU and not UA when that simply isnt true. I have said it before and I will say it again....the success of UA has NOTHING to do with OSU. If you believe that OSU make us a lesser program then you are sadly mistaken.
"OSU having nothing to do with Akron" you couldnt be more wrong the reason we cant sell out a beautiful new stadium on the second home game of the season is because more people were worried about going up to Cleveland to watch basically a scrimage between Toledo and OSU then cheering on the home town team. Students that go to this University would rather sit at home and watch a OSU game on tv then walk down the street and watch a game live in a beautiful new stadium.
Oh yeah, and beat someone that people know. Pounding a freaking loser 1-AA does not make people excited to come out and watch us play a powerhouse like North Texas or Eastern Michigan.
I forgot to mention, the Vest routinely plays schedules that are ranked #50 out of 120 and somehow he gets rewarded for it....

In fact, I'm not sure how many Joe Akrons out there, when they watch a Giants game, know Blackburn went to UofA.
Exactly my point. How or why would anyone know he went to Akron? All he talked about was tosu...Guys like CB need to get in front of the media and promote UA. It would go a long way to validating our program and then maybe he wouldn't be asked such a question...
I think a lot of the problem also stems from our constantly changing Athletics Department staff.If you recall under Mike Thomas' administration we had a spring game where Frye, Blackburn, Taylor and a bunch of other former Zips attended. I guess they put a big effort into getting football alumni back into the UA "loop."I recall one administrator telling me - "I called Jason Taylor and asked if he'd like to make a donation. He said 'sure,' and then said...'no one's ever asked me before?"In the short time Thomas' group was here they did more than build the practice facility and get the stadium off the blocks. Look in the JAR. All those coaches murals in the corners were installed during that time. All the championship banners hanging from the rafters were raised during that time. Eric McLaughlin's jersey was retired during that time. Thomas' group did a great job of bringing former Zips back into the fold, and also promoting the history of Zips athletics that had been forgotten in some Memorial Hall closet for a couple decades.Then Thomas left, and it all stopped. UA needs to be in Blackburn's face. Give the guy t-shirts and caps. Invite him back for the golf outings and spring practices. Ditto Hixon. And Frye. And others. And if they can't make it in one season, you call them back in 6 months and try again. It's pretty simple.If you see Chase Blackburn wearing an OSU shirt underneath his jersey, I blame UA, not Chase.
Who cares what he said? The guy grew up in the Columbus area. 99% of the time that person grows up rooting for OSU. Dont rag the guy for being honest. Is he suppose to avoid the question and say....I went to UA damn it, F OSU!!??? Hell no.I grew up a Browns fan. If I got drafted by the Steelers I would still be a Browns fan inside. You cant just get that out of you. You mistakenly assume his loyalties lie with OSU and not UA when that simply isnt true. I have said it before and I will say it again....the success of UA has NOTHING to do with OSU. If you believe that OSU make us a lesser program then you are sadly mistaken.
"OSU having nothing to do with Akron" you couldnt be more wrong the reason we cant sell out a beautiful new stadium on the second home game of the season is because more people were worried about going up to Cleveland to watch basically a scrimage between Toledo and OSU then cheering on the home town team. Students that go to this University would rather sit at home and watch a OSU game on tv then walk down the street and watch a game live in a beautiful new stadium.
So let me get this straight.....it is OSU's fault that people would rather watch a "scrimmage" as you call it against one of our conferences perennial powers? I think that in and of itself says something. The level of talent and football is not the same. We need to be better as a program and it has nothing to do with OSU. Cincy had ZERO fan support, but the right coaches turned them into a top 10 team and back to back BCS game program. Was it OSU's fault when they stunk? I think not! Their stadium was empty too. How is their fan interest and attendance now? People need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program. Recruits and fans will follow when we when start winning!
Let me guess your not from Columbus nor did you go to OSU yet you support a team you have nothing to do with? People should be a fan of their team regardless I bet you cheer your little bandwagon heart off for the Buckeyes win or lose. And Cinci is in the Big East they were #3 in the nation at one point, and still the majority of recruits in this state would rather go to OSU than Cinci. That is why fans of other schools in Ohio hate on OSU and hope they lose. We could go 14-0 for the next 3 season and would still struggle to fill the stadium when OSU is playing the only way we would get fan support is if we were winning every year and OSU was losing. Dont get me wrong I love every Akron fan as much as the other regardless of who else they cheer for (except for cant) but I would love to see the day when I walk into an Akron game and see more Akron gear on then OSU.
First off...my comments have nothing to do with me liking or disliking OSU. Read what I wrote and you will see that. You cant be upset at a guy like Chase for what he said.No...I did not live in Columbus and I did not go to OSU. I was raised in New Philadelphia, Ohio. My cousin played for OSU when I was younger and a local high school kid,Cie Grant, who was about my age played there as well. My entire family has been OSU fans for decades. Big deal...what does that have to do with what I wrote? Please tell me how me growing up an OSU fan automatically makes me incorrect in what I wrote. The funny thing is, I did not go to OSU. I CHOSE to go to Akron. I root for Akron over anyone (including OSU). I have 4 season tickets to U of A football. Just because I grew up an OSU fan doesnt make me loyal to them over my own university.As for Cincy...they were in CUSA until only a few years ago. Even after they went to the Big East they stunk. Just because a team is in a major conference doesnt make them good. Nobody in Cincy gave a rats ass about that program. They could have switched to the SEC and the seats would have still been just as empty. Cincy made some great coaching moves by bringing in Dantonio. He got the ball rolling and then Kelly came in and took the program to a new level. The fan interest increased as they won. The fan interest really increased after they started beating the WVU's, Pittsburgh's, etc... of the world. Let me get this straight....you say that Cincy moved up to #3, but most Ohio kids would still rather go to OSU. Yes, this is true. OSU has been a winner forever. Cincy is the new tough guy on the block. Let Cincy build something bigger than a 35,000 seat stadium and go to BCS games for 20 years. You will see a huge split start showing in the state. Cincy needs to show consistency. It takes YEARS to develop a fanbase. It doesnt happen overnight, and whether you like to admit it or not, you cant make people root for a school by hating the successful one.I dont care if you hate OSU or not. It simply doesnt sound very intelligent when someone spouts off that OSU is a major reason why Akron stinks. Akron stinks because we were a smaller division school for years. We played in a terrible stadium and we had horrible facilities. We have always been a commuter school, so the campus (until recently) has never had a major university feel. We have made terrible coaching decisions after coaching decisions. We play teams that nobody cares to see. We have never won ANYTHING. Please tell me why this is OSU's fault? OSU mandated us to play in the rubber bowl? OSU hired Lee Owens and JD Brookhart? OSU made us be 1-AA, etc...for decades? OSU built our GARBAGE campus (up until recently). OSU makes us play an entire schedule of worthless opponents that we still cant beat? OSU makes us terrible at recruiting better talent? If you can answer yes to those questions then yes, OSU makes us stink. I cant blame Joe fan rooting for a team that is a winner. There isnt much to root for in the state of Ohio when it comes to sports, so I find it so surprising that you get upset when people latch on to the only consistent winner this state has. Akron is never going to be OSU, but it doesnt have to be. Akron needs to do one thing that it can control....win. Win games and the other things eventually start taking care of themselves. Just look at Cincinnati. 5 years ago they were the Akron of SW Ohio.

"Q: Were you an Ohio State fan growing up in Columbus?Blackburn: "Definitely - I still am. I'm a normal fan when I watch football. I wish I would have been able to go to Ohio State" :nutkick:
Yeah, but you should have included the whole quote:Blackburn: "Definitely - I still am. I'm a normal fan when I watch football. I wish I would have been able to go to Ohio State, but things worked out the way they did going to Akron, which I have no complaints about. It was a great school and a great fit for me. Who knows what would have happened if I went to Ohio State?"That puts it in a much different light - plus the guy grew up right outside of Columbus.This is the quote that really confused me:Q: How did you end up at Akron?Blackburn: "I got recruited by a lot of MAC schools. I got offered a couple of scholarships from MAC schools. I went to Akron for a visit and it was a good time. They showed me around the campus and they had won the MAC championship the year before ...
I agree. This stuck out like a sore thumb. I seem to recall one year where the Zips technically tied for the MAC East, but Marshall (I think) won the tie-breaker? Maybe this is what LO's recruiters we're touting?
LOL, I had to laugh when I saw the MAC Championship quote, perhaps I can shed some light on that. I played on the team that tied for the MAC East in 2000 and was an upper classman when Blackburn and his class arrived. Blackburn's class was actually a very good recruiting class for the time, with more than a few guys who had offers from larger programs. I can remember going into camp that year however, all these were freshman coming in talking about how we had to defend the MAC Championship! Me and the other older guys would look at each other like "What the hell are these kids talking bout???" Apparently, Lee Owens and staff had actually purchased MAC East championship rings for themselves after that season (which guess technically they were entitled to) and would sport these rocks when they went out recruiting that year and talk about our division championship!! lol. Up until the preseason of 2001 I'd never noticed the rings on the coaches, but yep, they were there (funny how we as players never got our "division championship" rings!). What I guess this showed was how little of a following MAC football had, as most of these recruits were from Ohio and still had no clue that we really hadn't won a "championship". I guess ole Lee was playing off MAC ignorance and apparently it worked. We had an entire class of recruits thinking they were coming to play for a defending conferlnce champion poised to go get another ring! I thought most of those guys figured out the truth in their first year on the team, or at least at some point in their career lol, but apparently ole Chase never got the memo. While you can say this was a pretty deceptive practice by Owens, given the state of our campus, program, and facilities (or complete lack thereof) at the time, I think the argument can be made that as a recruiter you had to do what you had to do to get talent in here, and get "creative" in any way you could, otherwise our recruiting classes would've looked more like Mount Saint Jospeh's instead of including all the future NFL players that Owens recruited.As an aside, I know over the Brookhart Era many of you thought JD was taking the program to the next level in terms of the kind of players he was bringing in as opposed to the Owens era. Well here's some food for thought, despite JD having an unbelievable recruiting advantage in terms of football facilities and campus environment in his time, the number of NFL players recruited by both men turns out to be quite the comparison:NFL players recruited in the last 6 years of Owens (guys that were on NFL regular season 53 man rosters at some point):1. Dwight Smith2. Charlie Frye3. Chase Blackburn4. Reggie Corner5. Matt Cherry6. Mike Brake7. Domenik Hixon8. Ryan MyersNFL players recruited in the last 6 years of Brookhart:1. Andy Alleman (transfer, so technically not really recruited)2. Brandon Anderson (practice squad, so has never seen a 53 man roster, but I think that will change this coming season)Quite a disparity, eh?

People need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program. Recruits and fans will follow when we when start winning!
Thanks for the kind words above. This board has nothing to do with being an internet tough guy. I'm one of the few people on this board that if you were to pass me on Route 8, you would know exactly who I am.. There is no hiding here...We've had these arguments about my love for the buckeyes about a dozen times now...My stance has always been the same.While it's obvious that I would never root for tosu to win any sporting event, that is about all the "hate" you will ever see from me towards tosu.My disgust is truly with those that have zero affiliation with the school and yet they continue to support them. Specifically, I'm referring to UA students, UA faculty and staff and most importantly, UA alumni.Can I be any more clear? UA, UA, UA.....Even OSUgrad 01 mentions that people need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program...Well, exactly who is supposed to worry about UA's program? I'm of the opinion that we need UA students, fac/staff and alumni to support our program, not OSU's. As long as there continues to be UA people(defined above) supporting tosu instead of UA, I will continue to "hate".... Finally, here is where CB needed to step up and say " OSU was my first choice, but I didn't get an offer. I had a great experience at The University of Akron and that is where my loyalties lie."
So you stand on the side of Route 8 all day long? I guess people would know who you are, there cant be too many people that do that.I will just say this for the last time....1. I root for OSU, yes....but not over Akron. I am first and foremost an Akron fan, but they werent playing in the Rose Bowl when I had a game to watch on New Years day....I rooted for OSU. Too bad, so sad.2. I do support MY university. I have season football tickets to UA and I go to basketball games at UA. 3. Do not tell me or any other student, alumni etc.. who they should and shouldnt support. Last time I checked this is a free country. If UA does not like their students, etc...supporting other schools then do something about it. Put a winner on the field and give people a reason to care.

NFL players recruited in the last 6 years of Owens (guys that were on NFL regular season 53 man rosters at some point):1. Dwight Smith2. Charlie Frye3. Chase Blackburn4. Reggie Corner5. Matt Cherry6. Mike Brake7. Domenik Hixon8. Ryan MyersNFL players recruited in the last 6 years of Brookhart:1. Andy Alleman (transfer, so technically not really recruited)2. Brandon Anderson (practice squad, so has never seen a 53 man roster, but I think that will change this coming season)Quite a disparity, eh?
Kind of twisted statistics.Brake never played a down in the NFL. Cherry never played an NFL down. You left out Kemme. Corner transferred from BG, then played all 4 years under Brookhart.Under the circumstances, Owens did a nice job in his 9 years. Wait three more years and then compare Brookhart's 9 (last 3 under Ianello) to Owens' 9. It will be fairly close.Will you give Brookhart any credit if "his" players do well under Ianello? I wonder...I don't have the strength to beat the Owens vs. Brookhart horse any more. The last word is yours. :horse:

Will you give Brookhart any credit if "his" players do well under Ianello? I wonder...
Stating facts is not beating a dead horse.I for one will not give Brookhart any credit just like I gave Owens no credit for the MAC Championship. That was Brookhart's team. If Coach I wins next year, he should get the credit because it is his team and his ideas. Calling it some elses team diverts responsibility away from the new coach and is a tool to gloss over failure as a building process.

Will you give Brookhart any credit if "his" players do well under Ianello? I wonder...
Stating facts is not beating a dead horse.I for one will not give Brookhart any credit just like I gave Owens no credit for the MAC Championship. That was Brookhart's team. If Coach I wins next year, he should get the credit because it is his team and his ideas. Calling it some elses team diverts responsibility away from the new coach and is a tool to gloss over failure as a building process.
Recruiting and coaching are two different things. So what if Brookhart recruited most of the team? Ianello would be the one to coach them, so he would deserve the credit.

1. I root for OSU, yes....but not over Akron. I am first and foremost an Akron fan, but they werent playing in the Rose Bowl when I had a game to watch on New Years day....I rooted for OSU. Too bad, so sad.
Fair enough. I actually agree with this. And I rooted for OSU too. Like it or not, if the Big 10 and Mid West is successful then it's easier for Mid West schools to retain and recruit talent. If the only programs that win are in the West and South, it is much harder for us to convince a target that they will get noticed playing here.
2. I do support MY university. I have season football tickets to UA and I go to basketball games at UA.
But do you buy OSU gear? Wear OSU gear? I have OSU gear (from friends and family) but it's clear to them now that I want UA stuff. Not against you in anyway, but, people on campus do buy and wear OSU. WHY? Realize that school has nothing to do with you. Your degree is dependent on the success of UA. It's up to you to support it. (again not a direct comment to you ZG, it's a generalized statement and where a lot of the hate comes from)
3. Do not tell me or any other student, alumni etc.. who they should and shouldnt support. Last time I checked this is a free country. If UA does not like their students, etc...supporting other schools then do something about it. Put a winner on the field and give people a reason to care.
This is a double edge sword. Win, but it's hard to win when you can't recruit because your alumni don't support the programs. If you have alumni support and pride and money, it's much easier to turn things around and win. This goes to your number two. Supporting the sports. The University has to find a way to instill the importance of athletics and university activities to the large commuter population.

So let me get this straight.....it is OSU's fault that people would rather watch a "scrimmage" as you call it against one of our conferences perennial powers? I think that in and of itself says something. The level of talent and football is not the same. We need to be better as a program and it has nothing to do with OSU. Cincy had ZERO fan support, but the right coaches turned them into a top 10 team and back to back BCS game program. Was it OSU's fault when they stunk? I think not! Their stadium was empty too. How is their fan interest and attendance now? People need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program. Recruits and fans will follow when we when start winning!
Let me guess your not from Columbus nor did you go to OSU yet you support a team you have nothing to do with? People should be a fan of their team regardless I bet you cheer your little bandwagon heart off for the Buckeyes win or lose. And Cinci is in the Big East they were #3 in the nation at one point, and still the majority of recruits in this state would rather go to OSU than Cinci. That is why fans of other schools in Ohio hate on OSU and hope they lose. We could go 14-0 for the next 3 season and would still struggle to fill the stadium when OSU is playing the only way we would get fan support is if we were winning every year and OSU was losing. Dont get me wrong I love every Akron fan as much as the other regardless of who else they cheer for (except for cant) but I would love to see the day when I walk into an Akron game and see more Akron gear on then OSU.
First off...my comments have nothing to do with me liking or disliking OSU. Read what I wrote and you will see that. You cant be upset at a guy like Chase for what he said.No...I did not live in Columbus and I did not go to OSU. I was raised in New Philadelphia, Ohio. My cousin played for OSU when I was younger and a local high school kid,Cie Grant, who was about my age played there as well. My entire family has been OSU fans for decades. Big deal...what does that have to do with what I wrote? Please tell me how me growing up an OSU fan automatically makes me incorrect in what I wrote. The funny thing is, I did not go to OSU. I CHOSE to go to Akron. I root for Akron over anyone (including OSU). I have 4 season tickets to U of A football. Just because I grew up an OSU fan doesnt make me loyal to them over my own university.As for Cincy...they were in CUSA until only a few years ago. Even after they went to the Big East they stunk. Just because a team is in a major conference doesnt make them good. Nobody in Cincy gave a rats ass about that program. They could have switched to the SEC and the seats would have still been just as empty. Cincy made some great coaching moves by bringing in Dantonio. He got the ball rolling and then Kelly came in and took the program to a new level. The fan interest increased as they won. The fan interest really increased after they started beating the WVU's, Pittsburgh's, etc... of the world. Let me get this straight....you say that Cincy moved up to #3, but most Ohio kids would still rather go to OSU. Yes, this is true. OSU has been a winner forever. Cincy is the new tough guy on the block. Let Cincy build something bigger than a 35,000 seat stadium and go to BCS games for 20 years. You will see a huge split start showing in the state. Cincy needs to show consistency. It takes YEARS to develop a fanbase. It doesnt happen overnight, and whether you like to admit it or not, you cant make people root for a school by hating the successful one.I dont care if you hate OSU or not. It simply doesnt sound very intelligent when someone spouts off that OSU is a major reason why Akron stinks. Akron stinks because we were a smaller division school for years. We played in a terrible stadium and we had horrible facilities. We have always been a commuter school, so the campus (until recently) has never had a major university feel. We have made terrible coaching decisions after coaching decisions. We play teams that nobody cares to see. We have never won ANYTHING. Please tell me why this is OSU's fault? OSU mandated us to play in the rubber bowl? OSU hired Lee Owens and JD Brookhart? OSU made us be 1-AA, etc...for decades? OSU built our GARBAGE campus (up until recently). OSU makes us play an entire schedule of worthless opponents that we still cant beat? OSU makes us terrible at recruiting better talent? If you can answer yes to those questions then yes, OSU makes us stink. I cant blame Joe fan rooting for a team that is a winner. There isnt much to root for in the state of Ohio when it comes to sports, so I find it so surprising that you get upset when people latch on to the only consistent winner this state has. Akron is never going to be OSU, but it doesnt have to be. Akron needs to do one thing that it can control....win. Win games and the other things eventually start taking care of themselves. Just look at Cincinnati. 5 years ago they were the Akron of SW Ohio.
I will gladly eat my words about you having nothing to do with OSU you have every right to cheer for them you had family that played for them. But the majority of people who do cheer for them dont have anything to do with the program yet they put their money and time into their program even though they are graduates of this University. I never said that OSU is the reason that Akron is not good simply gave the reasons why people hate them I dont think anyone on here has blamed OSU for Akron not being good. And Joe fan rooting for a winner is a bandwagoner root and support your team through tough times and good times. As far as your argument about Cincy I cant say if they consistantly win for years if they will ever rise out of Ohio States shadow but my gut feeling is that they never will, you even say yourself we will never be OSU the same probably will hold true for Cincy and this is the reason why people will continue to hate its the nature of the beast.

We've had these arguments about my love for the buckeyes about a dozen times now...My stance has always been the same.While it's obvious that I would never root for tosu to win any sporting event, that is about all the "hate" you will ever see from me towards tosu.My disgust is truly with those that have zero affiliation with the school and yet they continue to support them. Specifically, I'm referring to UA students, UA faculty and staff and most importantly, UA alumni.Can I be any more clear? UA, UA, UA.....
What about people that have no affiliation with Akron that cheer for them (like myself)? Do you get pissed at them too for not supporting the college they went to? People need to get over the OSU Akron thing. It gets so old.